Neo

The Warner Bros. Thread | Will NOT merge with Paramount...capitalism is still terrible

43 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Also, just realised WB's decision here probably killed the Dune series and maybe even the sequel.

That's Dennis' belief

https://variety.com/2020/film/news/dune-denis-villeneuve-blasts-warner-bros-1234851270/

Streaming services are a positive and powerful addition to the movie and TV ecosystems. But I want the audience to understand that streaming alone can’t sustain the film industry as we knew it before COVID. Streaming can produce great content, but not movies of “Dune’s” scope and scale. Warner Bros.’ decision means “Dune” won’t have the chance to perform financially in order to be viable and piracy will ultimately triumph. Warner Bros. might just have killed the “Dune” franchise. This one is for the fans. AT&T’s John Stankey said that the streaming horse left the barn. In truth, the horse left the barn for the slaughterhouse.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, filmlover said:

Why not go after WB/AT&T? Who instead thought releasing a movie that had a 99% chance of flopping in the current environment (and did) on the condition that exhibitors would only get 1/3 of its total and allowing many theaters to close again right after was somehow a better idea.

Huh?   WB is now the bad guy for being the only studio to release an A level movie to theaters since the shut down?  Sorry the only studio that will have released 2 A Level movies to theaters since the shut down.   Strike that again.  They are the only studio to release a B level or C level film since the shutdown.   And they are the bad guys?  Its WB fault Disney put Mulan on Disney+ at the last minute instead of theaters making Tenet the only A level product until WB's releases WW84 in theaters on Dec 25th?

If only WB was nicer like Universal that shoved down a 2 week window down AMC throat when they where in a desperate rush to find financing.  I am sure WB pushing Tenet to 2021 would have made those loans just so much easier to land the promise of no product for over a year.  

• Like 1

@jimisawesome that's exactly the problem WB has. They suck so badly in executions.

HBO Max has the best content there is as far as streamers are concerned and yet you see what is happening.

Releasing Tenet was a huge blessing. Releasing TENET is blessing even 3 months later in India with many Bollywood films now thinking to release because TENET opening was nice.

Yet, WB is bad guy because the executed it terribly. They should have waited till WW84 release to announce their 2021 slate day and date on HBO Max.

2 hours ago, Jamiem said:

AT&T fucking sucks, they moved their slate to HBO Max ahead of this Disney investor day to steal some buzz.

Disney just got a bunch more buzz and is still releasing many films in theatres (also known as not lighting $2B on fire) 

AT&T fuckign sucks but Disney is awesome for moving movies to Disney+?

2 hours ago, TMP said:

Literally no good will come from this decision for WB

AT&T stock is up since the announcement.  More importantly WB has been forced to face reality, theaters are dead in the North American market the movies that are in the can its about minimizing losses at this point.  Taking the write down to boost HBO Max is better than just watching their entire slate make 30 cents on the dollar worst case projections.  

2 hours ago, cax16 said:

I totally get where you’re coming from  but this is more about how WB just destroyed its relationship with many of its creative talent. 

I don’t agree with their business decision but if they think it’s best that’s fine but this was not the way to handle it. 

Sorry but boo hoo talent has proven themselves to be insane with their head up their --- this week.  You have that insane Jenkins interview with Sorkin as my first 2 exhibits.  They can all go enjoy their freedom at Disney having producers make their movies.

1 hour ago, Eric Karga said:

If you are not in pure panic mode right now as a studio your ass should be fired.  None of the studio heads can give a date when Empire 25 reopens so any plans or projections they have are worthless.  Theaters might not reopen in NY until next September or later depending on the whims of the day of Cuomo, I am sorry I mean his totally science driven response that opens up indoor dining and bars first.   

• Like 1

Just now, jimisawesome said:

AT&T stock is up since the announcement.  More importantly WB has been forced to face reality, theaters are dead in the North American market the movies that are in the can its about minimizing losses at this point.  Taking the write down to boost HBO Max is better than just watching their entire slate make 30 cents on the dollar worst case projections.  

Sorry but boo hoo talent has proven themselves to be insane with their head up their --- this week.  You have that insane Jenkins interview with Sorkin as my first 2 exhibits.  They can all go enjoy their freedom at Disney having producers make their movies.

If you are not in pure panic mode right now as a studio your ass should be fired.  None of the studio heads can give a date when Empire 25 reopens so any plans or projections they have are worthless.  Theaters might not reopen in NY until next September or later depending on the whims of the day of Cuomo, I am sorry I mean his totally science driven response that opens up indoor dining and bars first.   

Dude we get it.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, jimisawesome said:

Disney pushed some of the weaker slate to Disney+ yes and Raya is getting day and date (as the pandemic will likely still be bad for many nations at that point) 

But unlike AT&T they didn't put their whole 2021 slate on Disney+ (either day and date or straight to) and I said before the event that Disney could go fuck themselves if they did such a thing. We have 3 MCU films, Jungle Cruise and a new WDAS pretty much confirmed for next year (as long as things are better by around June) that will have a more traditional window and should help theatres around the world who have been suffering for roughly the last 10 months. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, charlie Jatinder said:

@jimisawesome that's exactly the problem WB has. They suck so badly in executions.

HBO Max has the best content there is as far as streamers are concerned and yet you see what is happening.

Releasing Tenet was a huge blessing. Releasing TENET is blessing even 3 months later in India with many Bollywood films now thinking to release because TENET opening was nice.

Yet, WB is bad guy because the executed it terribly. They should have waited till WW84 release to announce their 2021 slate day and date on HBO Max.

The real reason WB is the bad guy and all this talent is crying is because most of these directors think they are auteurs and above TV.  TV is what they think streaming is.  Oh sure sometimes they will slum for some "prestige TV" mini series they slap their name on but on the whole they think they are above TV.   An example of this is control freak Nolan that got WB to have a ton of chain theaters break out 70mm projectors for him because he cares about presentation so much well when it comes to disk he does not care at all letting subpar transfers to his films get his approval despite this being the way basically everyone will see that work from that point on.   You would think there is less of a stigma when Marty does a netflix movie because only they are stupid enough to give the budget to make the Irishman and even more insane control freak Fincher seems to love it.

1 hour ago, grim22 said:

WB's decision is the only way Dune gets a sequel. That movie would bomb otherwise.

This here exactly.  He should be happy that he got another 165 million to burn after BR2049.   Or at least happy he know has an excuse why another mega budget film of his bombs instead of having to go to TV.

3 minutes ago, Jamiem said:

Disney pushed some of the weaker slate to Disney+ yes and Raya is getting day and date (as the pandemic will likely still be bad for many nations at that point) 

But unlike AT&T they didn't put their whole 2021 slate on Disney+ (either day and date or straight to) and I said before the event that Disney could go fuck themselves if they did such a thing. We have 3 MCU films, Jungle Cruise and a new WDAS pretty much confirmed for next year (as long as things are better by around June) that will have a more traditional window and should help theatres around the world who have been suffering for roughly the last 10 months. 

Their weaker slate?  You mean Mulan that before covid several people here predicted over a billion dollars?  Or Soul which was their big Pixar movie of the year?  Or moving Hamilton by far the biggest musical in history and one of the biggest cultural touchstones from a 2021 theatrical release to D+?  That weak slate?

They announced a sequel to a megahit staring Amy Adams to D+ because that totally would happen in normal times.  And its still early these movies can still move and move onto D+ say in Feb after certain legal actions are made.  

3 minutes ago, WandaLegion said:

Beginning to think that this Jimisawesome fellow may not be operating from a place of total neutrality 🤔

yeah I am sorry I must be a shill because I dont agree with you. If I am a fan boy of anything its AMC Theaters and since you are Staning my post you know I have repeatedly have mentioned they are going broke and no one in Hollywood is doing shit to save them.  No AMC no profit in theatrical release for any of the studios.   The evil At&t gets this and admits they won't do anything with their announcement, I respect the honesty.  Everyone else is lying by giving out these summer dates but you know not actually doing anything to save theaters.  The first time in my life I have taken shots at talent has been the last few days, I never thought actors are over paid, I don't care about their speaking out etc etc etc.  But, when they want to criticize but not put any skin in the game yeah that is my line apparently.   

Or WB sux and Disney rules. 

1 hour ago, jimisawesome said:

Huh?   WB is now the bad guy for being the only studio to release an A level movie to theaters since the shut down?  Sorry the only studio that will have released 2 A Level movies to theaters since the shut down.   Strike that again.  They are the only studio to release a B level or C level film since the shutdown.   And they are the bad guys?  Its WB fault Disney put Mulan on Disney+ at the last minute instead of theaters making Tenet the only A level product until WB's releases WW84 in theaters on Dec 25th?

If only WB was nicer like Universal that shoved down a 2 week window down AMC throat when they where in a desperate rush to find financing.  I am sure WB pushing Tenet to 2021 would have made those loans just so much easier to land the promise of no product for over a year.  

Congrats on dodging my original question (if AMC or other exhibitors are in such dire financial situations, why doesn't the studio step up and help out instead of sending movies out to flop for some martyr complex or whatever) just so you could reiterate the same points for the 100th time, I guess.

Edited by filmlover
  • Disbelief 1

3 hours ago, jimisawesome said:

Being open for Tenent probably costed the theaters more money than if they had just stayed closed.

Listening to this Kara Swisher interview with Jason Kilar (on her Podcast Sway) and oh man get a load of this quote at the 36:30 mark:

“I think the budget of a blockbuster movie in our future is going to be over A BILLION DOLLARS ... because we have the economic model to be able to support it, I’m not saying today but if you play this out when a typical leading subscription service of general entertainment has say 600m paying global subscribers at those levels you can responsibly invest a  billion dollars in a movie and have confidence that it’s going to be a very good economic endeavour”

ryan reynolds wtf GIF
Tom Delonge Wtf GIF by Justin

Podcast source (for Apple people) https://podcasts.apple.com/nz/podcast/sway/id1528594034?i=1000501950064

• Haha 10