Neo

Blade Runner 2049 | October 6, 2017 | Villeneuve directs | Full Trailer on Page 40

26 minutes ago, Goffe said:

Are the reviews saying you need to watch the first before seeing 2049? My cousin has never seen it, she asking me if she needs to. 

I have read at least a few reviewers that have said you don't need to watch the first before seeing the film. For example, Peter Debruge at Variety says:

Sure as it is to delight “Blade Runner” fans, this stunningly elegant follow-up doesn’t depend on having seen the original — and like 2010’s “Tron: Legacy,” may actually play better to those who aren’t wedded to the franchise’s muddled off-screen mythology.

I have also read some other comments from reviewers that say you do not have to have watched the first, but that it will make the film better if you have.

Peace,

Mike

Edited by MikeQ
  • Like 3

20 hours ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Reviews are great. This one was going to draw a harsh eye from critics given it's arguable the most unnecessary sequel imaginable. The fact the reviews are as glowing as they are is pretty miraculous.

Very similar reception to...

wICCXTa.jpg

...Snowpiercer. Which is essentially the last movie of its kind with an auteur filmmaker at the helm.

Lol comparing to snowpeicer doesnt give me much hope

Just anecdotal, Majestic outside Milwaukee (probably top 10 theater in Midwest) has very few seats sold for 9pm friday show. I grew up there, it is upper middle class gop zone, so maybe BR wont play well there. But it suggests to me my optimistic projections may be overstated. 

If it doesn't open huge, it won't be for lack of screens and showings - my mall gave it 4 screens and 17 showings and my locals gave it 2.5 and 2 screens (for 10 and 8 showings).  That's the equivalent of almost what WW got (same for mall and 1 screen less at locals)...

56 minutes ago, Lestranger said:

Just anecdotal, Majestic outside Milwaukee (probably top 10 theater in Midwest) has very few seats sold for 9pm friday show. I grew up there, it is upper middle class gop zone, so maybe BR wont play well there. But it suggests to me my optimistic projections may be overstated. 

Just wait when it catches Oscar buzz.

How much Oscar blockbusters we have this October anyway ?

Arrival,Martian and Gravity capitalized on their Oscar Buzz so let this be the Fury Road of October.

Edited by NamakFiskKa

I felt Gravity seemed most GA friendly ,while Dunkirk had Nolan's name + summer.

So if BR49 opens as big as Dunkirk or Gravity (50-56) it will be because unlike them it's not an original and there will some fan-boy front-loading. So not much more than 3x multiplier even if it's loved, as opposed to 3.8x of Dunkirk or 4.9x of Gravity, with a 50+ ow.

Mad Max did 3.4x but that was a reception bonanza amongst multiple quadrants and critics with 10 Oscar nods. I expect BR49 to do 2.9-3.1x.

Edited by a2knet
  • Like 1

:lol: 2049 is getting as many showtimes as My Little Pony and half as much as the Woody Woodpecker movie here, and that's in the area's multiplex frequented by a more sophisticated audience. I smell a bomb.

Well, at least it got the PLF screen.

1 hour ago, a2knet said:

Mad Max did 3.4x but that was a reception bonanza amongst multiple quadrants and critics with 10 Oscar nods. I expect BR49 to do 2.9-3.1x.

Mad Max maybe a good comparison for BR2049 for total gross DOM/WW but it isn't a good comparison for legs. Dunkirk, Martian, Gravity or even a smaller studio movie like Gone Girl got to be the top dog for an entire month with no other bigger hits stealing the spotlight. That helped their already great legs. Mad Max was released in a much more crowded summer slot and wasn't even the top dog on OW, and it was out of theaters way before the oscar buzz.

I'm not saying that BR2049 will have the great WOM and legs of all those movies because it will probably be the "big movie" for an entire month, I don't know. But it will be easier for it to do a 3.4x multiplier than it was for Mad Max even with "lesser" reception. It all depends on how GA will react. If they largely find it boring like some critics have, lack of competition won't help much.

Edited by Joel M
  • Like 1