A Marvel Fanboy

China Box Office Thread | Oppenheimer-August 30

Phenomenal run for EG in China. Exceeded all expectations in total gross even after the big opening. 

I’m pretty clueless about China BO so it’s been great following our fellow BOT-ers who are CBO experts analyzing and giving insights throughout the whole run.

• Like 6

41 minutes ago, Sam said:

Phenomenal run for EG in China. Exceeded all expectations in total gross even after the big opening. 

I’m pretty clueless about China BO so it’s been great following our fellow BOT-ers who are CBO experts analyzing and giving insights throughout the whole run.

Yes. 500m was expected once PS started. 4B yuan was a stretch. It comfortably bet all that. It will keep Hollywood record till Juggernaut 2 🙂

2 hours ago, Sam said:

I am not someone who would say Endgame has over the top WOM, but its stellar run in China should put to rest any claim that Endgame has generally poor/mediocre WOM, because if WOM is to impact the BO run in any (major) market, it is China.

2 hours ago, keysersoze123 said:

Yes. 500m was expected once PS started. 4B yuan was a stretch. It comfortably bet all that. It will keep Hollywood record till Juggernaut 2 🙂

Til 2030? I dunno, feel like Avengers 7 or something might get there first.

• Haha 2
  • Astonished 1

On 5/22/2019 at 11:50 AM, Gavin Feng said:

Chasing the Dragon Ⅱ will have press screening next week. Very confident. And yes, a bad news for Dark Phoenix.

The first Chasing the Dragon with Donnie Yen and Andy Lau was solid; and I think Wong Jing have huge confidence for this sequel. But i honestly don’t expect very big numbers or big breakout; mainly because Hong Kong gangster / Cop film have very limited audience base.

Last year’s Project Gutenberg literally had not strong competition and had the whole golden week for itself, but barely did 1.2bn yuan - very good for a HK film but for the release date and competition; the number is not amazing.

Edited by TigerPaw

I like a lot Toy Story franchise, but Spirited Away is in another level.

It is exciting to see this release in China (and maybe a great run). I could not enjoy its monster run in Japan, but I will follow this one closely.

12 hours ago, cdsacken said:

128 million over very high expectations. Thank you China!

Yes, even it's legs were decentfor such a huge release (thanks for the holidays). IW made $375 after a $200 3 day OW (1,875x) and EG made $628 after a $331 5 day OW (1,89 x), quite good

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, seduh said:

Yes, even it's legs were decentfor such a huge release (thanks for the holidays). IW made $375 after a $200 3 day OW (1,875x) and EG made $628 after a $331 5 day OW (1,89 x), quite good

Sunday was workday, so the five-day opening didn’t take much advantage over a normal weekend, and the May 1st holiday burst was very critical either. The real leg is similar to AoU and IW, not saying it’s bad.

Edited by ymblcza

1 hour ago, seduh said:

If EG got the extension, it would be around x1.92

• Like 1