Neo

Pacific Rim: Uprising | March 23, 2018 | Steven S. DeKnight (Starz' Spartacus, Marvel's Daredevil) directing | John Boyega. Scott Eastwood joins as co-lead | Tag All Spoilers!

If I'm Universal I want to finance Jurassic World 2 100%, why share the wealth when you know you have a sure thing?

No shit. Universal thought spreading the risk around for the first film was a good idea (people forget  that JW was considered by many in the business to be a risky venture) but this time they will fund it all themselves.

Same thing happened with POTC:Disney actually sold off the rights to the film in several huge markets because they had nightmares of another "Cutthroat Island",and as a result althought the Mouse made a lot of money on the film, it was not nearly as much as they would have if they had retained the rights. Disney did not make that mistake with the sequels..

PR 2 is dead at Universal,and I doubt any other studio will be anxious to pick it up. Fact it, it was always a big gamble,given the first one made only a modest profit consdiering the cost.

• Like 1

Meh. I would have enjoyed a Pacific Rim 2, but at least this is better than PR2 actually being made, tanking, and leaving us with an unresolved cliffhanger or something. Better to have a one-and-done...

I guess this also means no Hellboy III...or does it?

Del Toro has the most unmade projects of any filmmaker I can think of. It's crazy.

Edited by TServo2049

No shit. Universal thought spreading the risk around for the first film was a good idea (people forget  that JW was considered by many in the business to be a risky venture) but this time they will fund it all themselves.

Same thing happened with POTC:Disney actually sold off the rights to the film in several huge markets because they had nightmares of another "Cutthroat Island",and as a result althought the Mouse made a lot of money on the film, it was not nearly as much as they would have if they had retained the rights. Disney did not make that mistake with the sequels..

PR 2 is dead at Universal,and I doubt any other studio will be anxious to pick it up. Fact it, it was always a big gamble,given the first one made only a modest profit consdiering the cost.

Warner Bros is doing the same with The Lego Movie 2 and I'm assuming the spinoffs as Village Roadshow isn't coming back to co-finance and produce the sequel and BvS Legendary isn't involved because they financed Interstellar with Paramount and Warner Bros.

The selling off of overseas rights is common practice for Lionsgate, Summit, Studiocanal etc it allows them to recoup the budget but they don't benefit if it's a huge hit. New Line ended up being folded into WB because The Golden Compass which did very well OS but poorly domestically they didn't benefit from the OS success because they sold the OS rights to local distributors

• Like 1

Ironically, Pacific Rim is on right now. Watching the murky underwater battle and obligatory sacrificial Black man ploy, I am reminded of all of the movie's flaws. It's simply lackluster and never engages the viewer. Maybe the script for the sequel would have solved some of the problems, but with the same cast and director I doubt that it would have worked much better. It's a pity because PR should have been much more fun than it was.

• Like 3

Ironically, Pacific Rim is on right now. Watching the murky underwater battle and obligatory sacrificial Black man ploy, I am reminded of all of the movie's flaws. It's simply lackluster and never engages the viewer. Maybe the script for the sequel would have solved some of the problems, but with the same cast and director I doubt that it would have worked much better. It's a pity because PR should have been much more fun than it was.

Holy shit... I actually agree with you on something.

Del Toro has the most unmade projects of any filmmaker I can think of. It's crazy.

Hopefully he picks up something that certainly will get made as his next project. But I am glad this did not waste his time any longer. I coup the sequel would have been any better than the original.

This sequel was a stretch of believability in the first place.

One one hand I applaud them for attempting it and going this far with it. I found it rather MEH as a film. What I hoped for based on a PR2 happening would be that studios look at breakeven, bigger budget, films as an opportunity to grow with caution but that there is an audience for it---just try a little harder. Something like Jack Reachers sequel is in this camp. Tron 3 SHOULD be in this camp(curse you Disney).

On the other hand if this not happening frees up DelTorro for Hellboy 3, then good. That's a franchise waiting for it's trilogy closer!!

• Like 1

Agreed. 

Also, once they killed off Idris Elba's character (Stacker Pentecost! What an awesome name for an action character) they no longer had any characters engaging enough to care about.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

As dead as Pacific Rim 2.

More actually. Pacific Rim 2 still has a pulse however faint it may be, Hellboy 3 has been dead, buried, the corpse dug up, cremated and the ashes sprinkled across the seven seas.

We will likely see a Hellboy reboot with a completely new director, cast and studio before Hellboy 3 happens.

• Like 1

More actually. Pacific Rim 2 still has a pulse however faint it may be, Hellboy 3 has been dead, buried, the corpse dug up, cremated and the ashes sprinkled across the seven seas.

We will likely see a Hellboy reboot with a completely new director, cast and studio before Hellboy 3 happens.

Yeah, but saying all that doesn't needle Pacifc Rim fan as much.