grim22

The Box Office Buzz and Tracking Thread: Electric Boogaloo

1 minute ago, TalismanRing said:

The Wrap's numbers

http://www.thewrap.com/pirates-baywatch-box-office/

Pirates: $82-85 million, with Disney - $80  ($230m budget)

Baywatch: $40-42 million, with Paramount - low 30s  (budget in the high $60ms)

Baywatch's budget is high for a comedy even if it does have Dwayne Johnson in it. Even Central Intelligence was $50m and that was PG-13 and had quite a few action scenes. 

2 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

The Wrap's numbers

http://www.thewrap.com/pirates-baywatch-box-office/

Pirates: $82-85 million, with Disney - $80  ($230m budget)

Baywatch: $40-42 million, with Paramount - low 30s  (budget in the high $60ms)

Whether Paramount makes a profit or not, The Rock is going to make out like a bandit. To keep the budget low, they must have given Rock some first dollar gross for sure.

Pirates: $230m budget

That a massive cut from the last one (or once again a massive deflating budget for Pirates in the press).

Good for them if true, favorable exchange rate for all those Australian and other oversea expense, letting a very long time for the post-production to not have to pay surcharge and handle a lot of SFX shop to make the date and I imagine other factor can explain a lot of that cost going down.

• Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

That a massive cut from the last one (or once again a massive deflating budget for Pirates in the press).

Good for them if true, favorable exchange rate for all those Australian and other oversea expense, letting a very long time for the post-production to not have to pay surcharge and handle a lot of SFX shop to make the date and I imagine other factor can explain a lot of that cost going down.

My guess it's a combo of Depp's B.O. pull not being at it's highest - so his quote being lower and not only the favorable Australia exchange rate but also their tax rebates.  I also wouldn't be surprised if they were just all around more prudent with the budget considering the big drop domestically of the previous entry,

Disney also filmed Ragnaok there - I wonder what the budget wound up being for that.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

Baywatch's budget is high for a comedy even if it does have Dwayne Johnson in it. Even Central Intelligence was $50m and that was PG-13 and had quite a few action scenes. 

High 60 would be similar net budget than those comedy for a comparable:

That my boy: 69.88 m

22 jump street: 69.7 m (I imagine a really good recent comparable despite being a sequel of a successful movie)

Step brothers: 68.4 m

Much cheaper than a prime Sandler comedy, Grown up/grown ups 2/Jack and Jill/Just go with it/Click were all about 90 million to buy for the studio. The Other Guys was 98 million net.

People making those tend to be really well paid it seem, star power is probably still really important in that genre and one major difference with Central intelligence is that Baywatch has worldwide franchise appeal, if you are ready to have a large world wide release that will cost you between 95-125m, you are more open to spend 60-70 net on production.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, grim22 said:

Whether Paramount makes a profit or not, The Rock is going to make out like a bandit. To keep the budget low, they must have given Rock some first dollar gross for sure.

I suspect he's on percentage of gross for most of his film where he's the lead. Jumanji probably will be the low to mid $100m for its budget 

5 minutes ago, Barnack said:

I imagine the cost would be lower if Depp and Bruckheimer took a pay cut 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Much cheaper than a prime Sandler comedy, Grown up/grown ups 2/Jack and Jill/Just go with it/Click were all about 90 million to buy for the studio. The Other Guys was 98 million net.

The Other Guys was too expensive to be profitable, it did really well domestic but it made half what it did domestically OS. 

Comedy is usually meant to be an inexpensive genre but sequels, action comedy and the odd vanity project tend to much higher. Little Fockers' budget was over $100m and How Do You Know cost a staggering $120m! 

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

Disney also filmed Ragnaok there - I wonder what the budget wound up being for that.

Average budget of a film involving Waititi is roughly ~$40M. So around that, give or take a couple of hundred million dollars.

Knew my useless spreadsheet would come in handy.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

The Other Guys was too expensive to be profitable, it did really well domestic but it made half what it did domestically OS.

It was a bit of a different era than now 2010, it turned a reasonable profit (usually if you have a big budget movie that achieve to make close to is budget or more at the domestic box office it will be in good shape).

Sony made a 25.61 million profit on the Other guys, people involved a 4.62 million in bonus. It had a big 98.455 million budget, but by being a domestic heavy title that didn't try to become a world success it did kept it's world P&A at a reasonable 73 million.

It made 73 million from world TV contract, 95 million revenue from world home entertainment, for nearly 250 million in total revenue. Different era because that movie made 68% of is revenue post theatrical, that would be exceptional for a big movie now, but about the norm back in the dvds days.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 6

3 hours ago, Barnack said:

It was a bit of a different era than now 2010, it turned a reasonable profit (usually if you have a big budget movie that achieve to make close to is budget or more at the domestic box office it will be in good shape).

Sony made a 25.61 million profit on the Other guys, people involved a 4.62 million in bonus. It had a big 98.455 million budget, but by being a domestic heavy title that didn't try to become a world success it did kept it's world P&A at a reasonable 73 million.

It made 73 million from world TV contract, 95 million revenue from world home entertainment, for nearly 250 million in total revenue. Different era because that movie made 68% of is revenue post theatrical, that would be exceptional for a big movie now, but about the norm back in the dvds days.

What is the post-theatrical portion of the revenues these days for mid-budget movies ? Are they still making more than 50% from TV,streaming,DVD sales and rentals ?

• Like 1

6 hours ago, TLK said:

What is the post-theatrical portion of the revenues these days for mid-budget movies ? Are they still making more than 50% from TV,streaming,DVD sales and rentals ?

Without a new leak it is hard to know post 2014 (it was getting to the point that movie that big 3d release movie were getting close of doing only 50% from post theatrical).

Liongates annual report break the result down by release year and that show that the overall slate still do more than 50% from post-theatrical, but that include small title.

According to deadline estimate last year for some big movie (without merchandise) it was getting often lower than that, but those are only estimate. 

Between 2005-2010 the average Sony movie total revenue was 176% of is World box office gross total, that was significantly lower between 2011-2014 (around 116-120%).

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, Matrix4You said:

I glanced at reserved seating for Baywatch...  was all this online anticipation coming from the same sources that had Hillary Clinton 99% ahead??

Lol I am dead lolllll 

38 minutes ago, keysersoze123 said:

@Barnack,

You seem to have all the data around Post Theater revenue. Can you capture the known data in some thread. It would be useful to keep track off.

Only from Sony release made between 2005-2014 (simply extracted from the Sony leak accounting and Liongates annual total slate), I will make a thread about them (and probably break even point rules of thumb formula)

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

I've had my 3-day for it at $25M but after reading the reviews and seeing how it's doing at the theaters near me I'm dropping it to $20M for the 3-day. 

Looks like Paramount knows the presales are weak for this one.