Gopher

The Interview | Limited Release on December 25, 2014

Brilliant move, Sony, really brilliant

At least, in terms of marketing strategy. But, personally, I really hate when a company misleads me the way Sony has done. I wont see the movie just to prevent this kind of marketing to ever happen again

Brilliant move, Sony, really brilliant

At least, in terms of marketing strategy. But, personally, I really hate when a company misleads me the way Sony has done. I wont see the movie just to prevent this kind of marketing to ever happen again

You don't really think this was part of their plan all along, do you?

You don't really think this was part of their plan all along, do you?

Not the cyberattack, but all this "we're not going to open it... We're going to open it but only a week later and in selected theaters" is clearly a marketing strategy to sell the film

I doubt Sony was really thinking to cancel the opening... And I doubt that the limited release is because they're trying to avoid a possible attack

Not the cyberattack, but all this "we're not going to open it... We're going to open it but only a week later and in selected theaters" is clearly a marketing strategy to sell the film

I doubt Sony was really thinking to cancel the opening... And I doubt that the limited release is because they're trying to avoid a possible attack

No, this isn't a marketing strategy. If it was a marketing strategy they wouldn't have started to pull all of their promotional material after the hackers told them to do so. If it was a marketing strategy they would have gone straight to wide.

It's more to do with the face that they managed to get the president and the gop to call them cowards and got a lot of pressure to put it in theaters. I had a small suspicion before things went way down, but after how far things have gone this would have been the most idiotic and expensive marketing campaign I've ever seen.

• Like 4

Yes. This was clearly not Sony's marketing plan.

Sony told the theaters they could cancel. Major chains cancel. Sony says the film will not see the light of the day. POTUS goes on air and pretty much shits on Sony. Sony claims they were planning on releasing the film all along but the major chains cancelling caused them to cancel the film (notice Sony actually lies here since Sony wanted the chains to cancel in the first place). Demand grows. The indie theaters create a petition and boom.

No, Sony was trying their best to bury this film and not have it released to theaters at all.

• Like 1

No, Sony was trying their best to bury this film and not have it released to theaters at all.

I don't agree with this either. Why does anyone believe Sony really wanted to bury the movie? More like major theaters pulled out, they cancelled it and just had no idea what to do. Re formulating a plan for some thing like this which is basically unprecedented I imagine at least takes more than 5 minutes, yet Sony was expected to have a plan ready to go immediately?

I don't think Sony knew what to do. They were exploring their options. They were trying to get a picture of what was even happening. Outright burying it though, with no intention of ever releasing it? Why would they immediately go there?

• Like 1

People are actually questioning whether any of this was a publicity stunt? Does anyone really think that Sony is happy that their big Christmas Day release has been rejected by all the major chains and is gonna end up in 1/10th the amount of theaters it was originally going to open in (and not even "high-end" theaters for the most part at that)? Seriously?

Then again, I'm sure Sony is happy they're giving it a quiet release so the movie can fade into obscurity as quickly as possible at this point.

• Like 1

Yes. This was clearly not Sony's marketing plan.

Sony told the theaters they could cancel. Major chains cancel. Sony says the film will not see the light of the day. POTUS goes on air and pretty much shits on Sony. Sony claims they were planning on releasing the film all along but the major chains cancelling caused them to cancel the film (notice Sony actually lies here since Sony wanted the chains to cancel in the first place). Demand grows. The indie theaters create a petition and boom.

And now the Facebook pages of Regal Cinemas and etc are filled with comments like "Release The Interview" or some other first world problems shit like that.

Really the movie is most likely how many times Seth Rogen and James Franco make jokes about Kim's dick size or something, not Zero Dark Thirty or something like that.

Edited by Yandereprime
  • Like 1