Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

9 hours ago, baumer said:

This won't be made now.  Not if they can't get it done for 2020.  Ford can't play Indy when he is 80 years old.

Well, if they were willing to go ahead when he was 77-78 anyway...I don't see what would stop them now.  What I *do* like is that the principles don't seem willing to do it if they're not happy with the *script.*  They know they were all burned with Crystal Skull (and now Solo, for Lucasfilm).  I'd be willing to bet that they won't do it at all unless they're happy with a script...or unless Ford's legs finally die out, yes. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Macleod said:

Well, if they were willing to go ahead when he was 77-78 anyway...I don't see what would stop them now.  What I *do* like is that the principles don't seem willing to do it if they're not happy with the *script.*  They know they were all burned with Crystal Skull (and now Solo, for Lucasfilm).  I'd be willing to bet that they won't do it at all unless they're happy with a script...or unless Ford's legs finally die out, yes. 

I honestly doubt it has anything to do with the script or the quality of what is available to them. A little birdie told me that it has more to do with finding the right budget for the film because the three principal players involved, meaning George, Steven and Harrison, are all going to get a huge back-end on this and that is basically what is holding us up.

• Like 2

On 6/28/2018 at 11:42 PM, Zakiyyah6 said:

Haven't seen Solo so have no opinion on it but I love how people try to bypass it bombing and getting mixed-positive reviews by saying that they love it. That's fine but it's still a bomb. It's always interesting to see people score a huge gig after a bomb. Of course I myself try not to overreact to bombs anymore. Movies bomb, that doesn't mean that writers shouldn't score other jobs. People have successes and failures. Personally I think the idea of an 80 year old Indy is terrible. I don't care who writes it, it's a terrible idea.

Judging a writer work by looking at a movie is already quite flawed (in general but even more if there is more than one writer credited on it and on such a troubled production), looking at is box office in a vacuum is even stranger.

Would make more sense if someone would have read the actual script they submitted and not seen the movie.

Edited by Barnack

On 6/29/2018 at 11:27 AM, The Futurist said:

Do we really want to see an almost 80 yo Indy ?

Connery wasn't even that old when he played Indy's father.

One would think no, but many find Ford presence elevated Force Awaken instead of stopping and removing the energy of that movie (what I thought about it personally) and it did over 2B, so who knows.

On 7/11/2018 at 4:14 PM, dudalb said:

Has everybody forgotten the really old one eyed Indy in the early 1990's in the first episode of "Young Indiana Jones"?

Many of us haven't forgotten. However, when Lucas did a re-edit of that series for DVD release he removed all those scenes, including the scene with his niece. Thus saying that wasn't canon any longer.

Kasdan's script about the Nazi Gold train actually sounds pretty interesting.

Regardless, if Fogelman actually stays this time, I hope his script is good (though honestly, I wouldn't mind bringing in Scott Frank).

Honestly, keeping him old would be fine. Placing it in the 70s would dovetail nicely with the possibility of him going up against former Nazis hiding out in South America. (This hasn’t been rumored, but honestly, it’s a perfect hook. Think “Old Indiana Jones and the Boys from Brazil.”)

And that idea has precedent: LucasArts was going to do a sequel to Fate of Atlantis with a similar plot, but set in the 40s-50s. Everything I read says they scrapped it because they knew they would not be able to get such a game passed by the German censors due to the restrictions on depicting Nazis and Nazi imagery, particularly in video games. No matter if they replaced all the swastikas for the German version, there would have been no way they could have gotten around the story being about Nazis in exile in South America trying to resurrect Hitler. From what I know, Germany was a huge market for home computer games, and LucasArts’ graphic adventures were mostly exclusive to computers, so this would have cut off a major revenue stream. Fortunately, the story was repurposed as a comic book.

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1