Neo

Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny | June 30 2023 | Very mixed reviews out of Cannes

2 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

My big question is whether there was a huge audience clamoring for an Indy 5 after Crystal Skull. Anecdotally I think most people weren't.

I don’t know to be honest. As I recall, there always seemed to be some skepticism towards this movie, even back when Spielberg was still set to direct. A lot of people seemed to think Harrison Ford was simply too old. Hell, people were saying he was too old back in 2008. 

In general, this project was never something that drove the Internet crazy like TFA

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I don’t know to be honest. As I recall, there always seemed to be some skepticism towards this movie, even back when Spielberg was still set to direct. A lot of people seemed to think Harrison Ford was simply too old. Hell, people were saying he was too old back in 2008. 

In general, this project was never something that drove the Internet crazy like TFA

I don't know if TFA would have either if it wasn't "the first time the original three would appear since Return of the Jedi".

Even though they were never onscreen together (all three at once) during the Sequel Trilogy.

Just now, Bob Train said:

Man it would really suck if Indiana Jones went out with 2 stinker films in a row.

This is a lesson though, that for every Top Gun: Maverick type legacy sequel, there are 5 Terminator: Dark Fates

For a quality legacy sequel you need either Tom Cruise (COLOR OF MONEY) or Joseph Kosinski (TRON: LEGACY). When you put them together you get TG:M!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Lucas said:

The Last Crusade is the best in the series (only just), it's Spielberg's funniest movie and Indy has more personal stakes in the story.

Honestly I think the people who say "there is only one good film in this franchise" just don't understand that from one film to another you have to change things and try new dynamics.

3 hours ago, MightyDargon said:

My big question is whether there was a huge audience clamoring for an Indy 5 after Crystal Skull. Anecdotally I think most people weren't.

I get people don't like the PT/ST talk but TFA without the PT opens extremely lower than it did. And this films coming out after that entire trilogy with only one very poorly received film.

They have really ramped up the marketing on this with tv spots and putting out interviews. They are doing damage control because of the bad reviews. I personally think they’re digging themselves a deeper hole by spending this much in marketing when the film is a month and a half away. 

I feel like the rather cold reception for this so far only reinforces how much we take Spielberg for granted these days. Like Scorsese, even a "lesser" effort from these masters is still better than 90% of studio fare out there.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, filmlover said:

I feel like the rather cold reception for this so far only reinforces how much we take Spielberg for granted these days. Like Scorsese, even a "lesser" effort from these masters is still better than 90% of studio fare out there.

The master knew what a mistake this movie was going to be which is why he bailed on the project early. The truth is that Indy V faces such an uphill climb with Ford belonging to a museum and current Lucasfilm being a clown show that not even Spielberg at his prime would have been able to save it.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Sckathian said:

Honestly I think the people who say "there is only one good film in this franchise" just don't understand that from one film to another you have to change things and try new dynamics.

It’s laughable. It’s arguably the best trilogy ever made. Absolutely in the conversation. 

This still feels like it should have stuck with the classic Memorial Day weekend Indy date. Too bad Disney was hell bent on releasing TLM the same date.

Also, KoTCS was basically Force Awakens/legacy requel before it was even a thing. It's interesting how Spielberg and Lucas were almost a decade ahead of the trend.

Edited by Saul Goodman

59 minutes ago, Saul Goodman said:

This still feels like it should have stuck with the classic Memorial Day weekend Indy date. Too bad Disney was hell bent on releasing TLM the same date.

Disney screws Disney. Classic.

Keeping the lazy live action remake assembly line movies going is more important for Disney than giving a narrative dead end Indy 4 a fitting conclusion.

Edited by Mojoguy

21 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It’s now cool to like temple of doom but beyond a blistering first 20 minutes the movie’s a real slog. Being stuck in one gloomy setting for most of the runtime doesn’t suit the strengths of the character at all. 

Besides the female lead being annoying love the rest and don't really  mind the dark parts and yeah the third act is bananas and I love it.

Found raiders boring In the middle chunks. First act and 3rd act were good though.

Last crusade was great from start to finish.