LexJoker

Wednesday #s (1/1) | FRZ 8.72,DOS 7.8,WOWS 5.671,AM2 4.874,SMB 4.178 (Official estimates)

WoWS and AM2 are perfect New year's Day (Eve) movies, I just think it was a poor decision to release WoWS on Christmas day.  My guess is the cinemascore would have been an A if it were released on New year's Day instead.  I've been wrong many times before though.

• Like 1

Has Disney animation ever outgrossed pixar before in the same calendar year of release?

Toy Story beat Pocahontas in 1995, Bugs Life beat a Mulan in 98, Toy Story 2 Dominated Tarzan in 1999. Things went down hill for Disney Animation in 2001 when Monsters Inc had the biggest opening for an animated film ever, while Atlantis flopped.  In 2003 Finding Nemo became the biggest animated film of all time (until shrek 2) .... the same year it looks like Disney made the Jungle Book 2 ( I wasn't even aware this was in theaters...) From then on I'm pretty sure Pixar always had the lead, because Disney stopped making animation until Chicken Little.  Tangled beat Cars 2 but they were different years....

So yes, It looks like this will be the first time. Probably in Rotten Tomatoes Score as well. 

Edited by rustyspoons89
  • Like 1

Weak numbers all around. Frozen going sub-9M is disappointing, too.

Disappointing with 8.6M on Day 37 or 42? :blink: It's up 80% from LW and will be close to 300M after Sunday. It's looking at a minimum 3rd biggest 6th weekend ever so disappointing isn't the term I would use. Amazing, juggernaut, gargantuan....etc. ;)  :P It also passed Shrek and MU for 9th biggest animation ever.  :D

• Like 3

Interesting that Disney's films have slowly gone up in quality, while pixar has been loosing it's edge.... maybe Disney bought pixar to sabotage them slowly ;) ;)  ;)

It was effectively a reverse takeover with regards to animation. Disney may have bought Pixar but Pixar took over Disney Animation.

John Lasseter was fired by Disney in the 80's because he wanted to use CGI in animation films, he went to work for George Lucas in a division of Lucasfilm that was eventually sold to Steve Jobs as Pixar. When Pixar was sold to Disney he was put in charge of both Pixar and Disney Animation. Disney fired him only for him to comeback as the boss.

• Like 3

John Lasseter was fired by Disney in the 80's because he wanted to use CGI in animation films, he went to work for George Lucas in a division of Lucasfilm that was eventually sold to Steve Jobs as Pixar. When Pixar was sold to Disney he was put in charge of both Pixar and Disney Animation. Disney fired him only for him to comeback as the boss.

Without him I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have gotten Tangled, Wreck-It Ralph, or Frozen- at least not in the way we got them. Definitely the most positive change WDA has had since the 90s renaissance ended.

• Like 2