Neo

No Time To Die | October 8 2021 | 82% on RT | RIP Sean Connery

24 minutes ago, TalismanRing said:

How hard is it to distribute Bond in the UK?  Theaters will take it no matter what.  UK critics will proclaim it "The Best Bond Ever".  It will make a mint. 

How hard could it be to distribute a Star Wars movie in the US ? ;)

Bond did very well recently there lately, but the marketing done in that market has been really crazy also and giant (the 2012 olympics moment for example)

13 minutes ago, Barnack said:

How hard could it be to distribute a Star Wars movie in the US ? ;)

Bond did very well recently there lately, but the marketing done in that market has been really crazy also and giant (the 2012 olympics moment for example)

If it was called A Bond Story: Q  they might have problems.  Otherwise, not so much. ^_^

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Hatebox said:

Craig's odd-number Bonds seem to be the good ones. I just hope they've had the necessary prep time for this: Spectre was a textbook example of what rushing a blockbuster results in. 

it wasnt even rushed. there was a 3 year gap, rushed was quantum of solace

6 minutes ago, TombRaider said:

it wasnt even rushed. there was a 3 year gap, rushed was quantum of solace

Spectre was rushed too, even though they had a lot of time. They had less than one year to shoot the movie, edit it, finish FX/post production and reshoot the whole third act. They barely finished the movie in time.

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

Spectre was rushed too, even though they had a lot of time. They had less than one year to shoot the movie, edit it, finish FX/post production and reshoot the whole third act. They barely finished the movie in time.

Every recent Bond movie is like that though. They always begin production November/December of the year prior to release.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, grim22 said:

Wonder why MGM didn't keep UK rights with itself, it has a distribution presence there. Will be interesting to see the difference in US vs OS marketing similar to BR2049.

I don't think MGM has distributed a film in the UK for at least a decade, Annapurna distributes its films through eOne and I imagine it's easier for MGM/Annapurna to have one international distributor than multiple. 

I wonder if WB were ever close to getting Bond, I reckon WW2 probably threw a spanner in the works being released in the same month and I imagine they'd weighed it up and decided to let Bond go elsewhere.

8 minutes ago, Firepower said:

All Bond films have been rushed, why they don't shoot the movie earlier and not 11 months before release is beyond me

3 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

QoS was screwed by the writers strike. It basically filmed without a finished script, and Christ did it show.

Cant believe they went from the best bond movie (CR) to the worst (QOS), a mess.

Anyway, I dont understand why they dont start with the script/cast etc after they premiere a movie. Like they wait over a year to start even thinking about a script

Edited by TombRaider
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

QoS was screwed by the writers strike. It basically filmed without a finished script, and Christ did it show.

They filmed QoS without a script they liked, but they did have a finished draft and more. People often confuse this when actors say they filmed a movie without a script, but actually there's always a script, they just didn't like it and didn't have time/opportunity to rewrite it.

Edited by Firepower

2 minutes ago, Firepower said:

They filmed QoS without a script they liked, but they did have a finished draft and more. People often confuse this when actors say they filmed a movie without a script, but actually there's always the script, they just didn't like it and didn't have time/opportunity to rewrite it.

It was a turn of phrase, but given Craig and the director were cobbling scenes together themselves at the 11th hour I think it's justified in this case. God, that movie. It just flails from one shakey cam action scene to the next.

5 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

It was a turn of phrase, but given Craig and the director were cobbling scenes together themselves at the 11th hour I think it's justified in this case. God, that movie. It just flails from one shakey cam action scene to the next.

Craig said it was a barebones of a script so it's likely it was done but needed a rewrite which wasn't possible. 

Weird that Universal now has three spy franchises with Bourne, Bond and Johnny English.

Edited by Jonwo
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Hatebox said:

They were trying to rewrite the script they had themselves without writers. By there was no script they always mean they didn't like the script. I mean no studio would film a big budget movie without at least finished first draft + few rewrites, that's just not possible.

Edited by Firepower

2 hours ago, Jonwo said:

All Bond films have been rushed, why they don't shoot the movie earlier and not 11 months before release is beyond me

It's like a vestige from when they used to release one movie a year.  But then they had the books as a basis and a shooting schedule of about half the length.

I think Tomorrow Never Dies was the most rushed.  The main unit didn't start filming until April and they pushed the release date back from Nov to Dec.

Edited by TalismanRing