Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

22 minutes ago, Deuce66 said:

The detail is not that amazing given that it's a video of a video, I wish they would release this properly for people who won't be able to experience the ride at Disney that way we can really analyze the detail in the environments. High quality teaser clips like this would help to build the hype over the next 3 years!!! Dec 2020 is still 42 months away :(.

This is the highest quality I can find, but unfortunately it is only a very short preview. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DeeCee said:

Thinkpiece time.

Avatar: why no one cares about a sequel to the world's most successful movie

https://www.theguardian.com/film/filmblog/2017/jun/06/avatar-why-no-one-cares-about-a-sequel-to-the-worlds-most-successful-movie

Self-refuting arguement.

Also that rubbish article links to a good Jim interview, so it was worth the click honestly.

http://money.cnn.com/2017/05/26/media/disney-pandora-avatar-james-cameron-interview/index.html

" Well it didn't hurt "Avatar," that there was no "Avatar" before "Avatar." So I kind of rest my case."

Love this point from Jim, it's so obvious yet everyone ignores it. Everything close to Avatar in the box office standings (except Titanic) are franchise films and sequels.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 3

If we take the numbers of think piece about no one want a sequel to Avatar divided by the amount wrote for Alice in Wonderland sequel (wrote year's before it's release, while 0 marketing for it or shooting started yet), maybe it will give us an idea on Avatar 2 box office potential.

• Like 3

Critics of the movie love to pounce on the whole 3D thing yet they always and very conveniently fail to mention that Avatar was also the biggest selling Blu-Ray of all-time until a zillion parents purchased Frozen for their kids...just putting that out there.

• Like 2

So many people get a hard on just on the tought of James Cameron failing.

Never understood why.

Now they have two reasons for the movie to fail :

- Cameron

- Avatar, that Pocahontas movie that was just a 3d fad and forced the now maligned 3d into theaters.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Barnack said:

If we take the numbers of think piece about no one want a sequel to Avatar divided by the amount wrote for Alice in Wonderland sequel (wrote year's before it's release, while 0 marketing for it or shooting started yet), maybe it will give us an idea on Avatar 2 box office potential.

Yeah, this will be huge, pretty sure of that.

On 6/6/2017 at 5:56 PM, The Futurist said:

So many people get a hard on just on the tought of James Cameron failing.

Never understood why.

Now they have two reasons for the movie to fail :

- Cameron

- Avatar, that Pocahontas movie that was just a 3d fad and forced the now maligned 3d into theaters.

Yea, these are tired arguments. I was hoping they would die from their own inertia but alas...

I heard Fox set aside a fund from the Avatar profits to fund the eventual sequels. Through the wonders of compounded interest that fund has grown (again, 2nd hand info) such that the sequels are already paid for (if not all 4 then at least two of them). The real money will be made OS. I've seen no indication of hostility from foreign audiences to the Avatar property. 3D is still hot and the OS market has grown so much. For Titanic and Avatar to make what they made when the OS market was significantly smaller is as big a feat as their domestic performance. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, lilmac said:

Yea, these are tired arguments. I was hoping they would die from their own inertia but alas...

I heard Fox set aside a fund from the Avatar profits to fund the eventual sequels. Through the wonders of compounded interest that fund has grown (again, 2nd hand info) such that the sequels are already paid for (if not all 4 then at least two of them). The real money will be made OS. I've seen no indication of hostility from foreign audiences to the Avatar property. 3D is still hot and the OS market has grown so much. For Titanic and Avatar to make what they made when the OS market was significantly smaller is as big a feat as their domestic performance. 

Yup.  First of all, I don't take anyone's opinion about Avatar seriously if they didn't see it in theaters on the biggest screen possible during its initial release...as in, you're never going to understand completely what makes a film like that work without immersing yourself fully in it the way a film was meant to be seen. 

Second.  In ten years separation between Film 1 and whatever's coming next, Cameron will have innovated his techniques 100-fold.  Whatever Avatar 2 does to blow people away (and it most likely will) will make Avatar 1 look simplistic by comparison.  I don't think a guy like Cameron agrees to spend the next ten-to-fifteen years of his life on making four sequels to a film he directed unless he's extremely passionate about the subject and characters...so I say, why worry? 

And yeah, even if the US audience falters for this...international will surely save them (as they do many things, these days).

I'm still not convinced Avatar 2 will drop domestically like so many believe, especially if it is a visual spectacle unlike anything we've ever seen. I think the curiosity factor will be there regardless of people's feelings towards the original film. 

28 minutes ago, KP1025 said:

I'm still not convinced Avatar 2 will drop domestically like so many believe, especially if it is a visual spectacle unlike anything we've ever seen. I think the curiosity factor will be there regardless of people's feelings towards the original film. 

impossible. it will drop huge domestic. It will drop huge overseas. It will still be on of the biggest films of all time

10 hours ago, Ethan Hunt said:

impossible. it will drop huge domestic. It will drop huge overseas. It will still be on of the biggest films of all time

What's your reasoning for this outcome?

5 minutes ago, damnitgeorge08 said:

Love this line from visionary director James Cameron-

" For me making film is like conquering Everest, not milking it for money."

He will take as much time as he needs, to make a eye-popping visually spectecular movie.

hopefully that's not what he's going for.

Avatar looks pretty dated visually but it holds up because it is A+ storytelling

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

Avatar looks pretty dated visually but it holds up because it is A+ storytelling

I disagree completely with this statement.  Although it wasn't as amazing as some say and I saw it in 3d and in the biggest theater around me (and that didn't help the movie at all), the visuals were still very good, but for me, the story was very lacking.

I have no doubt the sequel will look visually incredible, I just want a story that resonates with me so I can enjoy it more.  

I want it to be a good movie and for me, Cameron delivered 99% of the time, so I am pretty confident that Avatar 2 will be better than the first.

1 minute ago, Ethan Hunt said:

The rumor was that stephen lang will come back as some sort of cyborg. Some rumors were comparing him to darth vader. 

I think avatar visuals along with davy jones are still the standard of hollywood. Ofcourse Cameron will need do to more than it to put bums in it. He is using submarine motion capture technolgy for underwater scenes. If visuals are anything like piper, it will be a treat.