Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

just saw the trailer at the cinema. not much but very neat. just looks like more avatar which i am in support of. will have to wait for it to be online to side-by-side it with the original because the effects look pretty much the same to me. which isn't a diss maybe it just shows how ahead of its time the original is because the effects in that movie are still better than almost everything now.

so, cool but didn't blow my dick off like i wanted it to.

42 minutes ago, Tokugennumataka said:

Pretty wild to think JC could hit around $15B from this franchise. Should be at 6-7B by this time next year (#7 on the all time franchise lists by then). 

The fun part is, the second A2 sells a single ticket it becomes the highest grossing franchise by movie average of ALL TIME.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, SchumacherFTW said:

Nice trailer, good to see some of Pandora again. Don't know if it was because I watched in Dolby, but it looked so bright and vivid even in 3D

Glad you liked it!

With the 3D brightness though, it's actually really unfortnate that you mention that it was nice and bright. That's how 3D is supposed to look! Cinemas were meant to offset the darkness caused by the 3D glasses by increasing the lumens of the projection. However as years passed they reduced the lumens down and down until 3D showings were just thought to be dark. They did this to save battery life, the rats. No one complained because they didn't know any better, I mean afterall if the 3D was just a post-processing thing outside of the directors control, so it's not like directors made a fuss.

One man does care though and he has enough power and influence to force the studio to put the smackdown on cinema chains, forcing them to put the lumen levels back to where they were in 2009.

Edited by IronJimbo
  • Like 2

42 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

The trailer playing was a surprise to me, I missed the announcement. 

It looked like Avatar 2. I would agree with others, nothing to suggest major new technology or anything. 

I've seen side by side of Neytiri in 1080p from the trailer and Avatar.

The difference is night and day, I'm not really sure if you're expecting 4D but this is hands down a major step forward in CGI characters. It's actually incredible what they've done.

• Like 1

Maybe it plays different in 3D but...this trailer was boring. And the CG is very well done but not novel as it was in 2009.

Also, while the ability to record mocap underwater is a huge technical achievement... visually it looks no different than if they just CGd it.

*sigh...*

I can understand both sides of the argument. No doubt they will have perfected the visuals but it's also true that some of stuff in the original already looked photorealistic.

Regarding novel CGI in Avatar. Was it? Sure, there might have been some new behind the scenes wizardry involved but in terms of what we see? I have seen CGI thespians before, digital environments - old hat, wasn't the first 3D film either. It just was on a scale never seen before.

Now that I’ve seen the trailer, I can say that it looked visually appealing for sure, but unfortunately, my mind wasn’t blown like I was hoping. The visuals look better than most other movies, but I guess I just can’t help but hold James Cameron to a higher standard. It still felt really surreal to finally see some footage from this movie. 

• Like 1

The CGI looks fine as always, spectacular even and it'll probably be fun and a hit but I didn't really have much of a reaction to it. I did like the final notes hinting at "I see you" at the end though.

Theater was dead silent.

Edited by Yandereprime101189

2 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

The CGI looks fine as always, spectacular even and it'll probably be fun and a hit but I didn't really have much of a reaction to it. I did like the final notes hinting at "I see you" at the end though.

Theater was dead silent.

My theater in Mexico was silent too, and that didnt happened to Thor, Jurassic and Lightyear trailers

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Really? There were audible gasps at the first shot in my showing. Only trailer that got a bigger reaction was Thor (understandable given the crowd). 

Also, I heard a younger family call it "the movie from the ride." :hahaha:

Trailer thoughts and audience reaction…

It’s probably the most visually beautiful and realistic CGI I’ve ever seen, but with that being said the gulf between its CGI and what we get nowadays isn’t nearly as large as the gulf Avatar had over its contemporaries.

As for the theaters reaction, I didn’t hear any audible gasps or anything and there was no cheering or clapping.

• Like 1

This knocked my socks off in IMAX 3D, unfortunately my theatre plays trailers WITH the lights on but wow. There was one shot at water level of them swimming out of a little enclave looking out at some ruins in the distance that made my jaw drop, it had so much depth in the image. It was also just crystal clear and it made Dr Strange afterwards look super blurry and flat after. 

My theatre didn't have any audible reactions to the trailers but I did hear a lot of initial shock when the Avatar 2 trailer played, like an "oh sh*t theyre making a new one!"

• Like 1