Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

3 hours ago, Alexdube said:

Was this one shared? Haven't seen much on Lang so there's that:

Reviewers and reactioners have been told not to mention Lang, this guy is messing up.

Notice how Lang has been completely left out of the marketing, as well as the humans. Jim has confirmed this is intentional plan by himself

Satellite Awards Nominations - Avatar : The Way Of Water

Motion Picture - Drama

Director

Cinematography

Sound (Editing & Mixing)

Visual Effects

Production Design

https://www.pressacademy.com/2022-nominees/ 

I was expecting editing as well, but overall, expected. 

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Satellite Awards Nominations - Avatar : The Way Of Water

Motion Picture - Drama

Director

Cinematography

Sound (Editing & Mixing)

Visual Effects

Production Design

https://www.pressacademy.com/2022-nominees/ 

I was expecting editing as well, but overall, expected. 

The director nomination here feels quite significant, I mean they nominate way to many films, but for directors, they included Cameron instead of : The Daniels, Todd Field, Damien Chazelle etc...

Maybe we could be looking at Academy Picture/Director double nom again!

Edited by NCsoft
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, NCsoft said:

The director nomination here feels quite significant, I mean they nominate way to many films, but for directors, they included Cameron instead of : The Daniels, Todd Field, Damien Chazelle etc...

I would love love love A2 to get best picture. The haters will have absolutely nothing left to go at.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, NCsoft said:

I think it will tbh, they just need to campaign and i suspect Disney will put money on it. They didn't make so many screenings just in time for Satellite, Critics Choice, AFI, NBR etc for nothing. Let's see if the movie will made it into all 4.

For Oscar, reception seems strong enough despite this not being the type of movies Oscar loves, and Cameron is very respected. If the movie enter the smaller awards, it will appear on Oscar (even if i think this have nearly 0 chance to win).

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, tonytr87 said:

This doesn't happen anymore. If the Academy were to return to "movie with the most votes wins" scenario, then yes, audience reception could influence the outcome. But as long as they use a preferential ballot, we'll keep getting Codas and Green Books with the occasional Parasite thrown in. 

Green Book was extremely well received by audiences and didn't really have a competition. Gladiator would've won with preferential ballot too.

Edited by Firepower

8 hours ago, Godzilla said:

I'm seeing a lot of hype for this with people around me. I'm starting to believe $3B is possible especially considering it'll have pretty much no competition for more than a month. 

3bil is 100% possible. The problem i see is that best case scenario has the film around 2bil worldwide after that first month, it then needs another billion to come with competition for screens and peoples money, and no holiday days left to help.

I still think under current situation its going to finish around 2.5bil. If China had zero problems surroundingits release, i would def of gone for 3bil as i was thinking 1bil from China alone!.

if you believe in the billie DOM you believe that Avatar 2 will be become the new highest grossing film of all time and is the sequel to the previous highest grossin film of all time, which outearned the directors previous film which happened to be... the highest grossing film of all time

1 hour ago, stuart360 said:

3bil is 100% possible. The problem i see is that best case scenario has the film around 2bil worldwide after that first month, it then needs another billion to come with competition for screens and peoples money, and no holiday days left to help.

That's definitely not best-case. Avatar 2 is very likely going well above $1.5b before the end of the year in only 18 days and 2 full weekends plus the first two days of the third; in a month (up to and including the full fifth weekend), it could well be in the low-to-mid $2bs and closing in on $2.5b.

And even then, that only takes us to the 15th of January, and as far as I'm aware there's still no real competition at that point up until early February.

Edited by hw64

15 minutes ago, hw64 said:

That's definitely not best-case. Avatar 2 is very likely going well above $1.5b before the end of the year in only 18 days and 2 full weekends plus the first two days of the third; in a month (up to and including the full fifth weekend), it could well be in the low-to-mid $2bs and closing in on $2.5b.

And even then, that only takes us to the 15th of January, and as far as I'm aware there's still no real competition at that point up until early February.

starting to believe avatar can win the 2022-only gross as well, but im still not 100% in, bit like 75%

its first real competition is titanic on feb 10 if cameron tries to steal plf's from himself, if not ant man the week after

Edited by interiorgatordecorator

10 minutes ago, interiorgatordecorator said:

starting to believe avatar can win the 2022-only gross as well, but im still not 100% in, bit like 75%

its first real competition is titanic on feb 10 if cameron tries to steal plf's from himself, if not ant man the week after

#1 in calendar 22’ and 23’ worldwide

• Astonished 1

29 minutes ago, hw64 said:

Actually thinking more about it, you could be right as i have the film around 500mil domestic by the end of New Years weekend, and if the film keeps its domestic 25%/75% split with international, that would mean around 2bil worldwide by the end of New Years weekend.

Ok 3bil is def possible.

OK hypothetical question here-

Imagine Covid never happend, imagine exchange rates were as good as back in the first films days, and imagine the film getting a full and proper China release with no tampering.

Under those circumstances, anyone think this could of grossed 4bil worldwide?.

1 hour ago, IronJimbo said:

if you believe in the billie DOM you believe that Avatar 2 will be become the new highest grossing film of all time and is the sequel to the previous highest grossin film of all time, which outearned the directors previous film which happened to be... the highest grossing film of all time

How much is TFA gross adjusted to inflation? I need Avatar to beat that or otherwise inflation adjsutement will always be dangled to dispute its dominance.

4 minutes ago, stuart360 said:

OK hypothetical question here-

Imagine Covid never happend, imagine exchange rates were as good as back in the first films days, and imagine the film getting a full and proper China release with no tampering.

Under those circumstances, anyone think this could of grossed 4bil worldwide?.

If it had been as successfull as the original, i think $4b would have been possible.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Valonqar said:

How much is TFA gross adjusted to inflation? I need Avatar to beat that or otherwise inflation adjsutement will always be dangled to dispute its dominance.

Only with nerds to be honest. The general masses, and even most movie related sites, would list A2 as the biggest movie of all time domestic, just like the first film was at the time, just like Titanic was at the time, etc.

• Like 1