Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

54 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

It wasn't a selling point. It was THE selling point. With exchange rates adjusted it's not even close to 3 billion. The movie is comparable to a theme park ride - it was a cool experience but nothing more than that. No one actually cares about the characters - hence why it's forgotten and couldn't stand the test of time. It's one of the few highest grossing movies of all time thats been completely erased from history. 

I said 1.3 billion max. It's actually going to do even less than that. 

500 OS

250 DOM

400 China 

Avatar made it's money because of the 3D gimmick and the exchange rates. It would have never reached such a high number without it.  It's gross is far to inflated and doesn't represent the popularity of the movie. Hence why it has the least admissions amongst the top tier highest grossing movies. Reaching 1 billion is still a struggle for almost every studio. This year only DISNEY or DISNEY related movies have reached that milestone. Disney being an exception to the rule doesn't change that fact. The general audience prefers to stay at home streaming - getting people to come to the cinema is harder than ever before. It's clear as day when only Disney is managing to do that these days. 

Alice In Wonderland was a success because of the 3D - which Avatar was responsible for, yes. Avatar did indeed usher in the new era of 3D. But just like the movie itself it ended up being a forgotten fad.  Avatar 2 will have a similar faith to Alice 2. The movie isn't loved - most people recognise that the script is utter garbage. Also in a post MCU world, which includes GALAXIES and all kinds of magical wonders, Pandora fades into the background. It simply won't be able to compete in the current golden era of cinema.

You must live in a cave because Titanic is constantly hailed as one of the best movies of all time. It's always being recognised by both the general audience and critics. Avatar might have been recommended by people at the time of its release when people were caught up in the hype of 3D, but once the dust settled no one cared. 

You're right, with exchange rates it's closer to 2.4b, which up until a few weeks ago would have still been the highest grossing movie of all time. I'm guessing we are going to ignore inflation and the 40% market growth though yeah? Because when factoring everything in the gross doesn't do Avatar enough justice, its higher than 3b.

You keep bringing up Alice in Wonderland but ignore how Johnny Depp was at the peak of his popularity in 2010 and no longer a draw by 2016 after the law suits and string of flops. The movie had a change of director, smaller budget and less prominent marketing campaign and poor reviews. A big drop was all but obvious. 1b is a tough challenge and you're right, Disney is the exception to this rule and guess who's distributing Avatar 2? Oh that's right, Disney. I cant imagine any scenario where their marketing campaign fails so bad that Avatar opens low enough to only gross 250m domestically during the holiday, you can't seriously believe that yourself. You're essentially saying it will perform like Justice League 

As for China I find it hard to believe that franchise films like transformers, fast and furious and Avengers from 2009/2012 to now  can all increase 500-1000% but here you have avatar with a rather muted 100% increase. Wheres the logic here?

Edited by Chucky
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Sheldon Cr said:

I second that.

What I like about their runs isn't so much the ridiculous total but the unheard of legs for blockbusters of today. Films open big now and crash back down to earth. When Endgame opened to 357m it was extraordinary but the rest of its run is predictable. Same goes for most blockbusters today (minus a few smaller outliners like Jumanji and Greatest Showman). They are reminiscent of the old school titans like Star Wars and mostly E.T. I bet it was exciting watching a movie open to 77m, expecting a potential 300m total and watching it defy expectations weekend after weekend until it smashed past 700m and 2.7b ww.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Chucky said:

What I like about their runs isn't so much the ridiculous total but the unheard of legs for blockbusters of today. Films open big now and crash back down to earth. When Endgame opened to 357m it was extraordinary but the rest of its run is predictable. Same goes for most blockbusters today (minus a few smaller outliners like Jumanji and Greatest Showman). They are reminiscent of the old school titans like Star Wars and mostly E.T. I bet it was exciting watching a movie open to 77m, expecting a potential 300m total and watching it defy expectations weekend after weekend until it smashed past 700m and 2.7b ww.

People think mistakenly that because Endgame didn't have monster legs, no other movie can. Because of more competition? It's true, movies like Avatar, Titanic, Jurassic Park or Star Wars didn't have competition, but not because there were no other movies, it's because they offered something unique other movies didn't. They were ground-breaking visual spectacles, they were "bigger" than everything else. There just hasn't been any movies like this since then. Remove what came before Endgame and your left with just another superhero movie. Infinity War has probably more to do with Endgame grossing $2.7 billion than Endgame itself.

The Lion King is a good example that ground-breaking visual spectacle is still bringing crowds. The only reason it's not going to break all the records is because it's completely unoriginal, is having poor reviews, and uses the new tech in a questionable way.  But even then, it's passing a billion dollar easy

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Alexdube said:

People think mistakenly that because Endgame didn't have monster legs, no other movie can. Because of more competition? It's true, movies like Avatar, Titanic, Jurassic Park or Star Wars didn't have competition, but not because there were no other movies, it's because they offered something unique other movies didn't. They were ground-breaking visual spectacles, they were "bigger" than everything else. There just hasn't been any movies like this since then. Remove what came before Endgame and your left with just another superhero movie. Infinity War has probably more to do with Endgame grossing $2.7 billion than Endgame itself.

The Lion King is a good example that ground-breaking visual spectacle is still bringing crowds. The only reason it's not going to break all the records is because it's completely unoriginal, is having poor reviews, and uses the new tech in a questionable way.  But even then, it's passing a billion dollar easy

Other movies also dont have James Cameron nor can any films match his consistant support on a domestic and global scale. As long as jc puts.his usual effort and his fanbase is alive and kicking. Avatar2 will be end game on steroids. I think the only record left standing will be the 3 day.

I mean an increase from avatar even on a small end will yield 1.05-1.1b USd domestic, but the international totals will be a scary increase. Avatar2 will likely do bigger than bond numbers in UK( potentiallu 160-200 plus mil) many are saying CHINa's gross will hit 1b-.1.4b USD!!. That is nearly 2bil os from just 2 territorries. There is nothing that can prepare us on where Avatar 2 is going. 3-4b or more OS will makw people lose their minds. If Avatar can double or beat EG by 1.5 to 2.5 billion or more. I think that will quiet the anti- Cameron court jesters here. How can you doubt the only director in history with back to back world breakers that other filmmakers cant match in bo success or at the oscars and total amount of film rewards received. A three peat world breaker is coming!!

Long live the king!!

--Theres a James Cameron mega BO event and then there is everyone else.😎.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chucky said:

What I like about their runs isn't so much the ridiculous total but the unheard of legs for blockbusters of today. Films open big now and crash back down to earth. When Endgame opened to 357m it was extraordinary but the rest of its run is predictable. Same goes for most blockbusters today (minus a few smaller outliners like Jumanji and Greatest Showman). They are reminiscent of the old school titans like Star Wars and mostly E.T. I bet it was exciting watching a movie open to 77m, expecting a potential 300m total and watching it defy expectations weekend after weekend until it

smashed past 700m and 2.7b ww.

The cool thing its from the pound for pound greatest filmmaker and storyteller of all-time.

This is what Jc does...Thats all he does destroys the competition and benchmarks set( lol by himself 😉)

I need to remind the doubters here,  especially those who bo skills are not able to contemplate how superior Cameron really is or strangely not keeping score...

Ahem....JC is also the creator of the worlds best sequel and the biggest sequel increase. He created Terminator and then totally  blew away his fellow movie makers and the box office away with Terminator 2 Judgment Day!!

Without Jc's Abyss and T2 breakthroughs , there would be no Jurassic Park, no matrix, No Sh films Period making mega bank.

So stop the madness comparing far inferior runs to the benchmarks set by Titanic and now Avatar... If you cant beat Avatar or titanic by miles and you have 10-20 yrs of.inflation and re-releases

.👍 Then pls put your fb film in the corner someWhere.  Your films are simply not worthy to be mentioned in the same name as the above JC event world breakers.

On 7/29/2019 at 8:57 AM, Elessar said:

It's really easy. We've gone through this multiple times. Blockbusters today on average gross a lot more than they did 10 years ago. So a movie doing 2.8b today is not as big an accomplishment than doing that same amount 10 years ago. That's statistics and has really nothing to do with bias.

I'm still wondering why folks cant get that through their heads. Even there news posts often say though not as big as Avatars run , E.g. and FA are impressive. You cant really sell your movie is a monster when all the big blockbusterrs are hitting 1.6-2billion thanks to inflation. Maybe if these new big blockbusters made 1bil plus domestic and 4 billy ww. Then you might have an argument about equally impressive runs. But alas barely getting past Jc films after tons of yrs inflation is again not impressing anyone who knows what breakthroughs in box office are all about. But when Avatar 2 hits that 4-5 billion ww mark, I'll have the smelling salts ready for the extreme over the top illogical here. Comics films will always have limits. But Cameron does not.

Here are some of the early predicts so far. Everyone please help me update👍

Kal...1.12b dom, 3.4b OS( Really would love Avatar2 to hit 1bil to 1.2 bil or

Better from China alone)

4.5b WW

Ncsoft... 3.7Bww

Jimbo...1.1B dom , 

3.5b OS, 4.6B WW

Keysersoze123

600 Domestic /1.2B OS -C / 700M C - 2.5B WW

Pure spirit

low-end:

550M DOM

$2B OS - China

$600M China

$3.15B total, assuming significant drop off from the first after accounting for inflation plus foreign market growth

(Nice one Pure Spirit I hope

we reach your highend predict or far more fellow Pandorian)

Pure Spirits High-end :

$1B DOM

$3B OS - China

$1.1B China

$5.1B WW total

Charlie Jatender

Dom: 475+ (45mn admits against 75mn of Avatar 1 but due to lower 3D contribution ATP just 10% higher than normal as compared to 33% in 2009)

Overseas: 1200 (same reason in Europe as in Dom but Asia will rise)

China: 700 

WW: 2375

Headshot-- 1.3 billion max. It's actually going to do even less than that. 

500 OS

250 DOM

400 China 

/\😱😂. Bold on this predict. 

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 1

Headshot-- 1.3 billion max. It's actually going to do even less than that. 

500 OS

250 DOM

400 China 

/\

If any majority of this predict comes true btw and its not do to a natural disaster, war or other non regular element during Avatar2's bo run.  I will give headshot $100. He or she would deserve it for the most ludcrious lowballing predict that actually  becomes reality.

Lol. As it is headshot's ww predict. I feel may be attained by China and the Uk alone.  😉

Edited by Sheldon Cr
  • Like 2

The movie was so good that the 2-D Blu Ray set a worldwide sales record....enough with the 3D is the only reason it was big nonsense, people went to see it multiple times, it helped to engage millions in conservation, it opened the eyes of some people, detractors of the movies politics are the ones that deserve the venom. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Source: Box Office Mojo (Jul 31) - Box Office $$ Variance (Avatar vs Endgame)

DOMESTIC TOTAL   -$96,199,304 
FOREIGN TOTAL    $92,474,359

Endgame >> Avatar 

China    -$411,696,371
Mexico    -$33,829,350
India    -$33,460,061
Indonesia    -$28,954,849
Brazil    -$27,854,899
Philippines    -$26,883,086
Thailand    -$17,789,560
Malaysia    -$13,698,032
Vietnam    -$9,608,405
Chile    -$7,883,992
Hong Kong    -$6,152,631
Singapore    -$6,152,344
United Arab Emirates    -$5,457,908
Colombia    -$5,232,418
Argentina    -$3,935,675
Bolivia    -$2,163,594
Taiwan    -$1,749,211
Paraguay    -$1,449,580
Nigeria    -$1,227,466
Uruguay    -$92,081

Ghana    $59,590
Mongolia    $174,906
Oman    $207,809
Syria    $220,657
South Africa    $249,540
Pakistan    $312,166
Iceland    $379,160
Jamaica    $491,669
Egypt    $614,976
Trinidad & Tobago    $698,251
Croatia    $873,618
Lithuania    $919,562
Slovakia    $941,834
East Africa    $942,289
Jordan    $987,790
Finland    $1,030,803
Bahrain    $1,034,364
Qatar    $1,148,698
Estonia    $1,261,587
Slovenia    $1,305,158
Dominican Republic    $1,440,545
Latvia    $1,520,588
Lebanon    $1,690,463
Serbia & Montenegro    $1,711,188
Kuwait    $1,784,632
Ukraine    $2,268,077
Bulgaria    $2,512,796
New Zealand    $2,621,511
Ecuador    $2,688,120
Romania    $2,991,980
South Korea    $3,108,666
Hungary    $4,764,535
Peru    $5,200,137
Central America    $5,536,710
Czech Republic    $5,580,715
Portugal    $5,807,927
Norway    $6,581,951
Belgium    $7,285,254
Austria    $7,774,509
Venezuela    $8,103,245
Turkey    $9,586,577
Greece    $9,967,108
Switzerland    $11,426,917
Netherlands    $11,870,222
Sweden    $12,767,003
Israel    $13,488,099
Denmark    $14,861,276
Poland    $20,329,512
United Kingdom    $32,770,888
Australia    $44,808,780
Italy    $59,865,218
Russia - CIS    $70,092,635
Spain    $74,764,969
Germany    $92,875,171
France    $112,198,427
Japan    $115,978,610

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Chucky said:

Never made a prediction before, I'd like to see a trailer first but here goes.

740m Domestically 

1.4b OS - China

900m China

3.04b Worldwide

I'll add your predict Chucky. Nice👍

Edited by Sheldon Cr