Totem

Avatar: The Way of Water | 16 DEC 2022 | Don't worry guys, critics like it

37 minutes ago, Avatree said:

Avatar was not successful because of 3D. Would have been just as successful without it. One of the many untruths about Avatar that the internet likes to spread.

Incidentally I don't know where the lie of Avatar being the first modern 3D film, where that came from. Many people (i presume younger people who don't remember movies 2009 and earlier) seem to believe this.

3D films have existed for over a century, I dont know why people think the technology was invented in 2009.

I think it's because with Avatar the environments were so gorgeous that it was the kind of movie people said you just had to see in 3D. The 3D in a lot of other movies seemed a bit "tacked on" in comparison, or had things that appeared to jump out of the screen noticeably (like those random "right near the camera" close-ups that were in films such as Coraline or Monsters vs. Aliens) that made it look more obnoxious than anything..

19 minutes ago, Elessar said:

As far as i remember there has been exactly 2 official release dates, so it has been pushed back once.

2015/17/19/21

I'm referring to years delayed (currently 6) so adding another is easy to see

18 hours ago, Avatree said:

Avatar was not successful because of 3D. Would have been just as successful without it. One of the many untruths about Avatar that the internet likes to spread.

Incidentally I don't know where the lie of Avatar being the first modern 3D film, where that came from. Many people (i presume younger people who don't remember movies 2009 and earlier) seem to believe this.

3D films have existed for over a century, I dont know why people think the technology was invented in 2009.

What a load of bollocks. The main selling point was the 3D. It was a movie you had to see in the cinemas. 

Also if we are gonna go with your claim that it would have been as successful in 2D then the gross would still be much lower due to the ticket price decline. Unless you’re implying that it would have gotten millions of more admissions.

Edited by HeadShot

17 minutes ago, cdsacken said:

2015/17/19/21

I'm referring to years delayed (currently 6) so adding another is easy to see

My point was has the sequel ever been dated by Fox prior to December 2020? Sure, there have been talks about sequels years before but i don't think ever to the point of an official release date. So technically, it has not been delayed as often as people think.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

What a load of bollocks. The main selling point was the 3D. It was a movie you had to see in the cinemas. 

Also if we are gonna go with your claim that it would have been as successful in 2D then the gross would still be much lower due to the ticket price decline. Unless you’re implying that it would have gotten millions of more admissions.

why is every post you make absolutely awful?

9 hours ago, HeadShot said:

What a load of bollocks. The main selling point was the 3D. It was a movie you had to see in the cinemas

Goddamn you Cameron for making movies we have to see in the cinemas! But really, 3d had been around long before Avatar. It's everything else to go along with it that made it special. If it was just the 3d, people wouldn't have been impressed and it wouldn't have benefited from the insane word of mouth that it had.

The fact that people today are shitting on 3d is actually a testament to how well made Avatar was, because they did everything around it well to make it look good, which isn't the case for most movies.

The movie still look gorgeous and you can still see the painstaking attention to detail that was put in it:

That shot of the shuttle plunging into the atmosphere at 1:53 is amazing, don't need 3d to see that. Really next level stuff for 2009 

Edited by Alexdube
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Alexdube said:

Goddamn you Cameron for making movies we have to see in the cinemas! But really, 3d had been around long before Avatar. It's everything else to go along with it that made it special. If it was just the 3d, people wouldn't have been impressed and it wouldn't have benefited from the insane word of mouth that it had.

The fact that people today are shitting on 3d is actually a testament to how well made Avatar was, because they did everything around it well to make it look good, which isn't the case for most movies.

The movie still look gorgeous and you can still see the painstaking attention to detail that was put in it:

That shot of the shuttle plunging into the atmosphere at 1:53 is amazing, don't need 3d to see that. Really next level stuff for 2009 

Yes, I am aware that Cameron recorded the movie to look great in 3D (unlike other movies that just put a shitty filter over it). You can tell that he put all the effort into the visuals - hence why the script is utter garbage as not much effort was made there. The movie is forgotten because the novelty of the 3D gimmick wore off so let's hope for a better script with A2. 

Edited by HeadShot
  • ...wtf 1

16 hours ago, HeadShot said:

If 3d was the main selling point then why did it smash the blue ray record? I dont know anyone who would sit through an almost 3 hour movie just for 3d visuals alone, the format was implemented to films prior to its release with no obvious boost in box office so clearly the story had a hook with the general audience. 

And yes I'd argue it would have sold more tickets today considering the lack of 3d screens at the time of Avatars release, especially in expanding markets, China alone is the equivalent of 2b today

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Yes, I am aware that Cameron recorded the movie to look great in 3D (unlike other movies that just put a shitty filter over it). You can tell that he put all the effort into the visuals - hence why the script is utter garbage as not much effort was made there. The movie is forgotten because the novelty of the 3D gimmick wore off so let's hope for a better script with A2. 

You're making the mistake of letting your own personal feeling about a movie bring you to stupid conclusions. You dont talk about Avatar now, its script is garbage so it's forgotten. You're 1 out of 7 billion people 

I keep seeing people claim that "Nobody remembers Avatar", i see it on facebook and reddit all the time, and some new users on here like the above, have started claiming it as well.

It's the single most idiotic thing that certain subset of internet kids have decided to spread.

It may even be true for those individuals who are probably 14 years old and genuinely can't remember seeing Avatar in the cinema.

29 minutes ago, Chucky said:

If 3d was the main selling point then why did it smash the blue ray record? I dont know anyone who would sit through an almost 3 hour movie just for 3d visuals alone, the format was implemented to films prior to its release with no obvious boost in box office so clearly the story had a hook with the general audience. 

And yes I'd argue it would have sold more tickets today considering the lack of 3d screens at the time of Avatars release, especially in expanding markets, China alone is the equivalent of 2b today

Because it still ended up being the highest grossing movie of all time.  It was bound to have people willing to pay for the home video. Let's not engage in revisionist history now. 3D was THE selling point of Avatar. Other movies weren't specifically recorded for 3D. Any other opinion is factually wrong and I'm not going to bother arguing against such dumb statements. 

That's nice and I'd argue that it would have sold less tickets - since 3D was the main appeal. It would have also grossed much less due to 2D tickets being cheaper. 

32 minutes ago, Chucky said:

You're making the mistake of letting your own personal feeling about a movie bring you to stupid conclusions. You dont talk about Avatar now, its script is garbage so it's forgotten. You're 1 out of 7 billion people 

Do you have any evidence that the movie is remembered or are you basing it on your own opinion as well? 

22 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Because it still ended up being the highest grossing movie of all time.  It was bound to have people willing to pay for the home video. Let's not engage in revisionist history now. 3D was THE selling point of Avatar. Other movies weren't specifically recorded for 3D. Any other opinion is factually wrong and I'm not going to bother arguing against such dumb statements. 

That's nice and I'd argue that it would have sold less tickets - since 3D was the main appeal. It would have also grossed much less due to 2D tickets being cheaper. 

Any other opinion is factually wrong because a guy named dead shot on a movie forum says so lol. I never said it 'would have made this or that' today, I'm saying what its the equivalent to. Avatar tripling China's all time biggest movie in 2009 is the equivalent of 2b. F&f franchise increasing by 10times the amount support this. The 10x as many screen China has today has boosted box office by around the same figure, so avatars 200m in China back then is as impressive as 2b there today. To put in perspective, Endgame has made 615m there and isn't even this years biggest film there.

Edited by Chucky
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, HeadShot said:

Do you have any evidence that the movie is remembered or are you basing it on your own opinion as well? 

Well I'm sure there are scientific studies out there proving humans can remember further back than 10 year and I'm also sure there is evidence that the earths 7 billion inhabitants do not all suffer from alzheimers. I would find a link but it's just too dumb of an argument to put that much effort into

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1