CJohn

Kong: Skull Island | March 10, 2017 | Tom Hiddleston, Brie Larson, John Goodman | Crosses 500M WW

5 minutes ago, Heat Vision said:

How long can gorillas live for? Seems like a stretch he can survive long enough to face Godzilla. 

Kong isn't specifically a gorilla. He's a superspecies of ape.

Also, the average lifespan of a gorilla is 35-40 years. The oldest known gorilla was a female named Colo (not to be confused with Koko) at age 60. She died in January of this year. By the time he fights Godzilla, he should be pretty old.

Edited by NoobSaibot

3 minutes ago, NoobSaibot said:

Kong isn't specifically a gorilla. He's a superspecies of ape.

Also, the average lifespan of a gorilla is 35-40 years. The oldest known gorilla was a female named Colo (not to be confused with Koko) at age 60. She died in January of this year. By the time he fights Godzilla, he should be pretty old.

I guess so. Godzilla feeds on energy which is what apparently has kept him alive all these years so maybe there's an explanation why Kong lives for so long.  

I have a feeling that Warner Bros will have a good year critically but fail box office wise (except for DC Films). 

3 hours ago, antovolk said:

Oh I had so, so much fun with this. Absolutely glorious - I wish I got to see it in IMAX, alas they're only doing afternoon shows for now. It's a visually gorgeous (Larry Fong is the real MVP) B-movie, and here's the thing, the story is simple , the characters may be thinly sketched but thanks to the performances it's fairly easy to root for/against certain characters. Oh, and the action delivers - and that's what you're here for, just so much fun to watch. And I need more MONARCH, I love how they're making it the SHIELD of this universe and it's just too awesome (the post credits scene had me grinning like an idiot). Bring on Godzilla 2 and GvK.

This just intrigued the crap out of me. And apparently I'll watch this tomorrow so now I'm getting real excited.

Going to go see this for myself in about an hour. Haven't liked any actual film from 2017 so far. Hope this turns the tide like 10 Cloverfield Lane did last year.

And 15 dollars for a theater with good sound. Like I don't even care about reclining seats or anything, I go for the sound because I usually wear headphones when I watch films so it's really loud. And not even in 3D (don't do that format anymore). There is no discount Tuesdays here.

This is exactly why I don't go to the movies as much anymore and wait for everything. It's gone up in price already since January when it was around $12. Ridiculous.

Solid B.  Its certainly more fun than Gawdzilla because its fast paced, has characters, comedy, and a lot of Kong and other giant monsters.

Oh and Tian Who says like 10 words in the entire movie so the pages spent over that crap is extra amusing in hindsight.

• Like 5

I liked it. I laughed and I audibly gasped at parts so any movie that can get a reaction out of me has got me invested. There's probably quite a few things critics will pick apart and there were some things I thought were stupid but there's so many big movies that I've been to lately that have just been very meh so an enjoyable experience is a welcome change. 

• Like 8

I seriously don't get the hate from Youtube. Like I'm baffled because it was exactly what I expected it to be: dumb fun escapist cinema. 

It reminded me a lot of 90s adventure movies like Jurassic Park, The Lost World and Congo. I didn't think any of the story was as dumb as Jurassic World either. And speaking of that film, I can't see anyone who enjoyed JW walking out of Kong dissatisfied with the experience.

I heard so much about the characters being boring beforehand but honestly, I didn't dislike anyone. Yeah the star power was kind of wasted, but I loved how much of it there was on screen at all times and liked everyone a lot more then the characters in Godzilla. Again it really reminded me of Jurassic Park or The Lost World (down to the cliche asshole). John C Reilly was way better then I expected too. 

I can only point out one really stupid scene that didn't work for me which involved Hiddleston but it didn't detract from the overall experience. I really enjoyed it.

And man, these Youtube reviewers made it seem like Kong shows up for the helicopter set piece (which is absolutely stunning) and then completely disappears until the end of the movie. This is completely false and whenever he's not on screen, some other new creature usually is. The only time that he vanishes for a longer portion is during the end of the second act and it's taken up by another action set piece. This wasn't like Godzilla where he was off screen for large portions of time.

It's a solid turn your brain off monster movie. I can actually see it having really good WOM especially with people who grew up with those films from the 90s. 

• Like 9