#ED

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

138 members have voted

1. 1. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014

• Community Manager

I'd also like to note that even if they didn't happen that way, that doesn't make the movies irrelevant. Even X-Men: The Last Stand because Wolverine still lived through them and he still remembers them. Professor X also knows about them from the time he went into Wolverine's brain/connected to his older self.

Maybe "cannon" was the wrong word. They might or might not be in this new timeline. I argue they aren't but that's because a small reboot for the X-Men franchise isn't a bad thing.

• Like 1

I'd also like to note that even if they didn't happen that way, that doesn't make the movies irrelevant. Even X-Men: The Last Stand because Wolverine still lived through them and he still remembers them. Professor X also knows about them from the time he went into Wolverine's brain/connected to his older self.

Maybe "cannon" was the wrong word. They might or might not be in this new timeline. I argue they aren't but that's because a small reboot for the X-Men franchise isn't a bad thing.

It was needed. The timeline was an hot mess. I am waiting to see if the Wolverine gets his metal claws somewhere in the movies with the younger cast. 

• Community Manager

It was needed. The timeline was an hot mess. I am waiting to see if the Wolverine gets his metal claws somewhere in the movies with the younger cast. 

Hell I'm still confused as to how Magneto and a walking Professor X with powers went together to talk to Jean in the 1980s in X-Men: The Last Stand after First Class.

:lol:

• Like 2

Hell I'm still confused as to how Magneto and a walking Professor X with powers went together to talk to Jean in the 1980s in X-Men: The Last Stand after First Class.

:lol:

First Class completely ruined the timeline. That movies makes no sense when put in the same Universe as the original trilogy. I am happy they rebooted the whole thing.

• Like 1

I took it that the events would likely occur similar to how they did in the first timeline ... as some have mentioned or probably mentioned (the river comment by Hank) ... but the actual timeline for those films doesn't exist anymore.  Plus, Xavier, Magneto & Mystique were all aware of the future in 1973, so their actions would probably be slightly altered in the years after.  The comments about Jean and her powers being dealt with differently by Xavier are spot on.  He saw all that pain and didn't want that future ... he probably used that knowledge to be a better leader and teacher.

The movie is great ... A ... so excited to see where they go with Apocalypse, and if it's set in the 80's like they previously talked about.

... and how smoking hot was Famke :) Loved seeing her and James at the end.

Edited by Adam
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure everything not named X-Men Days of Future Past or X-Men First Class is useless to the story now. These two are the only movies worth seeing for new fans.

X-Men and X2 still happened.

I just look at all the X-Men movies as stand-alone movies now, and excellent ones at that :)

Really the only X-Men movie I don't care for is Wolverine 2 (yes, I liked the first Wolverine movie much better).

So this totally ruled. Everyone and everything was awesome. Quicksilver and McAvoy stole the show. How are we proceeding in future installments? Is this farewell to the First Class cast, or are we going to be moving forward with them? Huge bummer if they're done, between this and FC I'm ten times more interested in 1970s X-Men than 2000s X-Men.

9/10

• Like 2

Grade: A/A-

I'll see it once more to shore it up but it's in the 'A' grade camp no doubt.

I see people just quickly saying Origins and X3 are both overwritten. To the latter we can without a doubt discern that ONE item is overwritten and that's Cyclops outcome. When 70's Charles enters Logan's mind to travel back through his consciousness to Future Charles and have a discussion we see images of Logan during X3 along with X2. I don't recall any X1 scenes but it happens very fast. 

They reference Logan's First Class moment, "Fuck Off". Nothing from Origins or The Wolverine is seen so we can't say Origins is gone and not The Wolverine if we're just using flashbacks as our "proof". 

It's left the door wide open to pick/choose what it wants from those films to still be 'in continuity' as far as I can tell. Which is wise. They told us some things would reset and they did, doesn't mean somethings didn't play out all the same or just similar. They can address additional minutia changes as they see fit. Personally I'd much rather have Liev Schreiber as our Sabretooth, that can stay. As well as Lynn Collins as Silverfox and Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson. We can lose Taylor Kitsch as Gambit and lose that horrid Origins ending with a speechless Wade Wilson. Losing the convoluted breakout of multiple mutants at Strykers compound as well and we've taken the good of Origins and ditched the bad. The Wolverine I'm fine with it all staying.

As to this film itself though it's maybe the best in the series now and I just re-watched X2. Damn close. 

My one big issue upon a single viewing is this:

How can the girl who 'just' walks through walls not emit energy pulses that can psychically send you back through time? That's my one big question that the viewer is asked to accept at face value. Warpath isn't explained either. We just accept he can 'sense' the Sentinel scout pods early.  Also Bishop could've used some exposition. I feel the action moments allow you to accept at face value exactly what Blink and Sunspot are about. 

Had this had an equally small glimpse of Nightcrawler and Angel as we got for Paquin's Rogue and Grammer's Beast my nerd joy would be complete. 

Welcome back to the big leagues X-Men!!