#ED

X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014)

138 members have voted

1. 1. X-Men: Days of Future Past (2014

I liked the film a lot but not as much as most of you did.  It's the best summer film so far and even though I'd give it a 9/10, I still thought it could have been just slightly better.  But I'm not complaining.  The first thing I need to comment on is that the soundtrack was just amazing.  John Ottman made this a thrilling experience.  The base and the foreboding tones made me feel real emotion.  The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that Bryan Singer nailed this.  Regardless of what I think he might be in real life, the man imo, is one of the best directors out there right now.  Not only can he get the action right, but he gets a top notch performance out of everyone.  I was even touched by Ellen Paige's performance.  Such a small role, but such a perfectly done character.  This, imo, is what Godzilla was missing.  In order for me to care about what happens to the world and the to care about the baseball diamond covering the White House and Magneto basically dying, I have to care about the characters, and Singer made me.  And that Quicksilver scene when they break Eric out of the Whitehouse, could be the best scene in any Marvel film outside of Avengers.  The slo-mo, the bullet time, the positioning of the guards fists, Quicksilver knocking their hats off and then saving the day.  A truly genius scene.  Bravo to Singer.

I like all the X-men movies, even X3 and Wolverine.  First Class is my favourite but this one is close behind.  I was riveted from the start.  The one complaint I have is that I have no idea what mutants were at the beginning.  I guess for Marvel loonies, they know them.  But I don't know who those mutants were.  I wish I knew their names.  It would have made the film that much better.

But it was also incredibly satisfying to see Jean and Scott and Rogue and Bobby and so many others from the previous films.  I loved Mystique and young Magneto as well.  Overall, it's a fantastic film.  Best summer movie by far, so far.

9/10 

Edited by baumer
  • Like 15

And as I said earlier-X1 has not aged that well, but I have to give it credit or else we might of never seen Spidey, Batman Begins or the Marvel universe films. (remember on Batman-people disliked him in 2000)

I liked the film a lot but not as much as most of you did.  It's the best summer film so far and even though I'd give it a 9/10, I still thought it could have been just slightly better.  But I'm not complaining.  The first thing I need to comment on is that the soundtrack was just amazing.  John Ottman made this a thrilling experience.  The base and the foreboding tones made me feel real emotion.  The other thing that needs to be mentioned is that Bryan Singer nailed this.  Regardless of what I think he might be in real life, the man imo, is one of the best directors out there right now.  Not only can he get the action right, but he gets a top notch performance out of everyone.  I was even touched by Ellen Paige's performance.  Such a small role, but such a perfectly done character.  This, imo, is what Godzilla was missing.  In order for me to care about what happens to the world and the to care about the baseball diamond covering the White House and Magneto basically dying, I have to care about the characters, and Singer made me.  And that Quicksilver scene when they break Eric out of the Whitehouse, could be the best scene in any Marvel film outside of Avengers.  The slo-mo, the bullet time, the positioning of the guards fists, Quicksilver knocking their hats off and then saving the day.  A truly genius scene.  Bravo to Singer.

I like all the X-men movies, even X3 and Wolverine.  First Class is my favourite but this one is close behind.  I was riveted from the start.  The one complaint I have is that I have no idea what mutants were at the beginning.  I guess for Marvel loonies, they know them.  But I don't know who those mutants were.  I wish I knew their names.  It would have made the film that much better.

But it was also incredibly satisfying to see Jean and Scott and Rogue and Bobby and so many others from the previous films.  I loved Mystique and young Magneto as well.  Overall, it's a fantastic film.  Best summer movie by far, so far.

9/10 

Nah, he is just fantastic with the X-Men Universe.

Superman Returns and Jack the Giant Slayer both SUCK, IMO. Valkyrie is fine, I guess.

• Like 3

The Usual Suspects and his work on X-men make him pretty good imo.

Oh yeah, The Usual Suspects is pretty fucking great. I forgot he did that one. 

Edited by CJohn
  • Like 1

9/10 

Great review. I agree with it. Didn't know blink or sunshine until I check imdb on characters. But Blink scenes were awesome. I also loved xavier talking to mystique in airport. Emotional and brilliantly done. 

• Like 2

I don't see how any could have happened besides FC. I mean it's a different timeline now.

Also why did we never get an explanation in this movie for Professor X being in his old body? I know X3 post credits showed he had transferred his mind to a comatose patient, but how he got his body back has never been explained in the films. Minor nitpick for me.

I guess Fox figured enough people watched the end credits scene. However, had I not seen that scene, I would be as confused to hell and chalk it up to another continuity error which this film franchise has in spades, or rather had in spades prior to this film rebooting everything.

• Like 1

I don't see how any could have happened besides FC. I mean it's a different timeline now.

Also why did we never get an explanation in this movie for Professor X being in his old body? I know X3 post credits showed he had transferred his mind to a comatose patient, but how he got his body back has never been explained in the films. Minor nitpick for me.

Its his twin.  With the erase of the old timeline, he probably didn't have to do that.  Same as Jean and Cyclops alive again.

Its his twin.  With the erase of the old timeline, he probably didn't have to do that.  Same as Jean and Cyclops alive again.

But it's never even remotely touched on in any of the films that it's his twin. I've heard that before, but I thought it was just speculation. If you watch the Last Stand post credits scene it's just some dude in a hospital bed who his Professor Xavier's voice. So again how did he get his old body back? I did see a theory online that he's just mentally projecting the image of his old appearance into everyone else's mind, but again that was just fan speculation.

But it's never even remotely touched on in any of the films that it's his twin. I've heard that before, but I thought it was just speculation. If you watch the Last Stand post credits scene it's just some dude in a hospital bed who his Professor Xavier's voice. So again how did he get his old body back? I did see a theory online that he's just mentally projecting the image of his old appearance into everyone else's mind, but again that was just fan speculation.

Think about it.  When he speaks through someone else, its their voice not his own.  So how does he speak with Xavier's voice?  It is his twin.

And in DOFP when speaking with Mystique in airport he talks through other people with their own voices.

Edited by Klingo
  • Like 1

Can someone spoil me the end scene?

My bestie didn't wanna wait, and the bitch had to snatch me from the back to get me out.

Man, I consider that the best part of the entire X-Men franchise. Just go back and watch the film over.

Oh, I think you meant the end credits scene. lol never mind

Edited by CloneWars

Can someone spoil me the end scene?My bestie didn't wanna wait, and the bitch had to snatch me from the back to get me out.

It's Wolverine going back in time and finding you a new bestie.
  • Like 7

I really liked the first two X-Men movies(but wouldn't consider myself an outright fanboy of the series), so its good to be able to say that X-Men: Days of Future Past is definitely a victory lap for the X-Men franchise, it pretty much brings together every actor/character thats been in the franchise so far in a surprisingly successful twisty/turny time travel caper.  Bryan Singer, who returns to the material after over a decade(after abandoning the franchise to go and make a shit Superman movie) is obviously supremely confident with the material by effortlessly juggling between two ensembles with two entirely different settings with a smartly written and dynamic script where character motivations are clear at all times.  Singer keeps things relatively light(without being goofy and/or obnoxious/stupid like some of the stuff in First Class) and never loses momentum throughout.  Its got some sharp dialogue and well realized set pieces.  Seriously, the writing here puts all the boring ass corporate cookie cutter/by the numbers MCU movies to shame.  Also, at no time does this movie look cheap unlike First Class which was cluttered with bad visual effects.

Some of the most notable highlights comes from Quicksilver, a cocky and smart ass super fast mutant.  Hes at the center of what is easily the most memorable part of the movie which is an equally amazing and hysterical slow motion action sequence that has Jim Croce's Time in a Bottle playing during it.

As expected, Magneto is all too easy to sympathize with despite being a prick(this might be because both actors that play him, Fassbender and McKellen, are some of the most talented and charismatic actors today).

My only real problem with the movie(other than some mild nitpicks) is Jennifer Lawrence as Mystique, she is miscast IMO and a comedown from Rebecca Romijn's.

This is impressive for the 7th Installment in a franchise and it feels like it has had some new life breathed into it.  I think most people will see either this or X2 as the best of the series.

A-

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Like 4

Thoughts....

- DOPE opening 6 minutes. 

- Those opening title credits were fantastic.

- Blink action scene in the beginning really set the stakes. 

- Way way way to much exposition at the beginning. What I love about X2 is we don't know the main goal of the villain until over an hour in. 

- Bryan Singer has a great eye and I love his use of color light.

- To many cameos, I felt like 40% of the movie did nothing to move the plot along. Like when Mystique frees Havoc and Todd. 

- Whats the Point of giving Quicksilver the best scene in the movie only to never bring him back,. Why don't they ask him to join, and I hate that one shot of him at the end its a wink like" look we didn't forget".

- Magneto putting metal into the Sentinels was stupid. 

- Damn, that was the chubbiest looking Nixon yet.

- Film lacks a 2nd act center piece. The whole stoping Mystique from killing Trask needed to expanded into a larger action scene I thought

- Lacks suspense in the past scenes. I love when I KNOW its the climax, I know its the finale, you can feel it, it builds to it. But with this half way through the last action scene I was like Oh this is the finale. 

- Singer's clunkiest X-men movie.

- So many wink and nods for the fans, I loved it.

- Singer nailed the tone as expected. His X films are probably my favorite toned superhero movies. 

- I get its a X-men are a team, and Im not saying I want more Wolverine. But It felt like to much. We were jumping characters too much and each act had a different lead it felt like. 

- Not enough Trask

- Not enough past Sentinels, we didnt really get any good mutant on (past) Sentinel action.

- To much slow - motion for me. Thats Quicksilvers thing and thats the only time they should use it. 

- I do like how Singer shoots action, no shakey cam bull shit.

I can go on, but this is enough for now.

Overall X2 knocks this out the park. This isn't as structured as X1 but its far more ambitious. 

DOFP B (86)

X2 (93)

X1 (85)

X3 (80)

First Class (83.5)

Edited by Jay Hollywood