CJohn

Predator | 14th September, 2018 | Shane Black to Co-Write and Direct

lol

this makes The Meg seem like a serious movie in comparison

Yeah not a great trailer, well none of them have been, but I will still see it.  I'm down for some B level, monster movie cheesiness  :) 

The best trailer so far. A bit brutal and a bit cheesy and it just looks like a lot of fun. 

Alien: Covenant and Blade Runner were mentioned as comparisons but Blade Runner was way more special and IMO Alien: Covenant didn't have one good trailer. And by the way, 36M OW would be great ;).
No, so far I don't think it will open in that range but I think after the first trailer where most (including me) said meh, I won't see it, the marketing improved a lot. Also the posters look good now.

8 minutes ago, el sid said:

The best trailer so far. A bit brutal and a bit cheesy and it just looks like a lot of fun. 

Alien: Covenant and Blade Runner were mentioned as comparisons but Blade Runner was way more special and IMO Alien: Covenant didn't have one good trailer. And by the way, 36M OW would be great ;).
No, so far I don't think it will open in that range but I think after the first trailer where most (including me) said meh, I won't see it, the marketing improved a lot. Also the posters look good now.

The way this film has been marketed has been extremely confusing. It first started off looking like a PG-13 version of Goonies meets Predator. The kid inevitably was removed from the trailers. It then jumped into the "versus" territory. Now, it looks like a proper Shane Black production. Tongue in cheek R rated goodness. I'm worried this revelation might come too late for it to spark more interest.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, ThePhasmid said:

The way this film has been marketed has been extremely confusing. It first started off looking like a PG-13 version of Goonies meets Predator. The kid inevitably was removed from the trailers. It then jumped into the "versus" territory. Now, it looks like a proper Shane Black production. Tongue in cheek R rated goodness. I'm worried this revelation might come too late for it to spark more interest.

Better than the other way around but yes, you're right. Maybe they were not happy with the first reactions and then changed their marketing strategy but it was indeed confusing. Why not use the better material right from the start? I hope it was early enough. I mean, Predator is still a brand mark. Maybe it works.

I think it'll be really telling to see how this performs at the box office, especially after The Meg. Is it that people actually want that type B-movie Hollywood action film? It's historically been a good source of income with the right production values. Maybe that audience will carry over.

Or, maybe not. I personally think this'll be a disappointment.

• Like 1

Anyone with T-Mobile will be able to get a $4 Atom ticket to this movie's opening weekend through their Tuesday deals...something to keep in mind for both presales that week (and for your own pocketbooks if you have T-Mobile - I'm trying to decide if I'll use mine, since this probably isn't my type of movie - but cheap is cheap:)...

18 hours ago, Slambros said:

I think it'll be really telling to see how this performs at the box office, especially after The Meg. Is it that people actually want that type B-movie Hollywood action film? It's historically been a good source of income with the right production values. Maybe that audience will carry over.

Or, maybe not. I personally think this'll be a disappointment.

It remains to be seen how much demand there is for another Predator movie. We movie nerds tend to forget that some propertys just...arent as popular among the GA as we may think. The Meg succeded partly (i think) because it was kinda...new. Shark movies are everywhere ofc, but a big-budget Megalodon film? That was a first. This will be just another Predator movie for many people i think.

Going with a 25-28M OW for now, 70ish DOM total.

I really hope im wrong.

• Like 2

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-the-predator-shane-black-steven-wilder-striegel-20180906-story.html

Shane Black gave his friend, a convicted sexual offender, a minor role in the Predator where he repeatedly hits on Olivia Munn's character. Munn found out his past, brought it up to Fox and now Fox is ordering that he be cut from the movie. 

What was Black thinking?