Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

Dumbo is one of the saddest most messed up triggering movies Disney ever made. It always makes me cry. I cry even thinking about it. Dumbo should have a giant trigger warning stamped across his face. 

And kids today are a lot more sensitive so I wonder how that scene will go over?

Gonna go cry now. 

10 minutes ago, James said:

I know social media hype is not usually huge for family fare but even so this trailer barely registered. Hopefully it is succesful because it looks very good. Someone here said Christopher Robin numbers and I agree. 

I think the social media is pretty good rn. I mean the Youtube views aren't huge but it's getting talked about on twitter. I think it'll do just fine

14 minutes ago, James said:

I know social media hype is not usually huge for family fare but even so this trailer barely registered. Hopefully it is succesful because it looks very good. Someone here said Christopher Robin numbers and I agree. 

I blame Pika-pool...:sweat:

10 hours ago, Pinacolada said:

I think the social media is pretty good rn. I mean the Youtube views aren't huge but it's getting talked about on twitter. I think it'll do just fine

According to BO.com it got 48k tweets today. Pikachu got 34k today and that is it's 4th day of Twitter tracking (400k+, 281k, 95k). Of course the IPs are not comparable, but 48k tweets is nothing to write home about. 

• Like 1

We thought this was an adorable cute trailer for this movie! We Can't Wait to see it! :)

Here's Our Reaction Video to the new full trailer! 

EDIT: We Reuploaded this Video due to a personal issue with the previous video. We hope this is better. 

Edited by Seth Irskens

1 hour ago, James said:

According to BO.com it got 48k tweets today. Pikachu got 34k today and that is it's 4th day of Twitter tracking (400k+, 281k, 95k). Of course the IPs are not comparable, but 48k tweets is nothing to write home about. 

Yup that's what I think as well. Yeah it's trending on Youtube but that really isn't saying much.

So far it's social media presence leaves a lot to be desired.

Edited by Cappoedameron

5 hours ago, GraceRandolph said:

Wow the trailer was so good. Legit made me tear up.  800 million minimum here we go!  

Really? Because to me this has Christopher Robin box office written all over it.  It's too close to Captain Marvel.

It did not trend on Twitter which is something you always say is a big deal. Yeah it's trending on Youtube but there's not many things on YT.

It's interesting how you say this is 800 million but DP isn't gonna be when it literally has more likes then literally anything that is not Infinity War.  Not to mention trending since release on YT and now 35 Million views and it's abotut tto dethrone CM.

But Dumbo is a guaranteed 800 Million? Really?

Edited by Cappoedameron

6 hours ago, Frozen said:

Dumbo is one of the saddest most messed up triggering movies Disney ever made. It always makes me cry. I cry even thinking about it. Dumbo should have a giant trigger warning stamped across his face. 

And kids today are a lot more sensitive so I wonder how that scene will go over?

Gonna go cry now. 

I think "Bambi" is even worse, though. When I saw is as a kid

Spoiler

I didn't get over the death of Bambi's mother for days. Yeah, Jumbo being separated from his mother is rough,but not as bad as what happened to Bsmbi's mother....

27 minutes ago, JGAR4LIFE said:

This is doing $500M tops. Dumbo isn’t as popular as Aladdin or the Lion King

6 minutes ago, DAR said:

Where are my jive talking crows? 

They are saving them for the "Song of the South" live action remake

Dumbo finished with 16 million views in 24 hours on Disney Studios american pages

2.7 million on YouTube, 4.1 million on Twitter and 9.2 million on Facebook

For a movie without a fan base and really family oriented... i think it's good enough

Confident in my $ 600M WW prediction

Edited by ThomasNicole
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Dumbo finished with 16 million views in 24 hours on Disney Studios american pages

2.7 million on YouTube, 4.1 million on Twitter and 9.2 million on Facebook

For a movie without a fan base and really family oriented... i think it's good enough

Confident in my $ 600M WW prediction

That seems fair and is around what I’m predicting. $65M/$220M/$600M

• Like 1

I agree with others here. $600M seems like the ceiling for this.

I don't know if I'll see it only because I was never really attached to the original film and have only seen it a few times in my life, but I would hate to see this make Pete's Dragon numbers. Not that it should, since Dumbo is iconic.

Saw the new trailer for the 1st time, since we're all in on Disney remake hype atm, and honestly, this looks great. It's the same story as the 1941 original, but as a good remake does, it actually goes about that same story with its own different personality and twists. I think it looks.... ugly from a color palette perspective, but unlike Burton's Alice In Wonderland --- whose ugly, dour, vomit washout of a palette was one of the key reasons why that remake of AIW, a story that lives and dies by VIBRANCY, failed completely, as a remake isn't supposed to lose the point of a story even if goes about that same story differently, and the point of AIW is basically "fuck logic, here's a taste of what life looked like if nothing made any sense and it was all an LSD-fueled pipedream".... which Burton's movie implied by making Wonderland Underland a region of political civil warfare...? And it wasn't even well done, cause if it had been, maybe the movie would have worked better, but even then it's a question mark --- this actually could add to the story, as Dumbo is an insanely depressive and dark tale, so it has the potential to fit the mood well enough. Again, not losing the point while still giving improvements or new takes is a remake's job, and this film looks to do just that. The human cast looks pretty good - Michael Keaton looks super hammy, but he's Michael Keaton so it'll all be good nonetheless - and it makes sense to have children as the imaginative and caring bunch that would worry for animals' safety in a circus environment, though I still hope that Dumbo and Timothy's relationship is present (wouldn't mind a drunk scene either, as long as it's not a rip-off of the original). It definitely seems to be touching upon the overarching narratives of circus cruelty and proving that you are special no matter what (even if I've seen a YouTube commentor saying the opposite because a bunch of kids are worried about Dumbo... give me a break, the trailer clearly shows the way a circus would treat an elephant), but again, it still looks like a film that stands on its own comparatively to the original. And, for the record, Dumbo's CGI looks just as good as the CGI in the main characters of The Lion King. And that shot of Dumbo crying in circus make up sent CHILLS down my spine.

Out of all three Disney remakes next year, this is the one that has the potential to the best movie. The Lion King could be noteworthy as an incredible technical achievement, and I think that the photorealistic looks, while taking away some of the magic of TLK, also adds a different edge to the film that makes it visually stand on its own...... but we all know it's just gonna be the same movie, as there's no reason to change anything from the '94 version (given that they're assuming the actual LK film and not the Broadway musical instead). Ditto for Aladdin, which will literally do nothing good as a remake in all likelihood - even the asthetic design doesn't look all that wonderous, for a film about wonders and diamonds in the rough. It's just gonna be an exercise for Guy Ritchie to try and probably fail to 'creatively' shoot action sequences better than what was accomplished in the '92 original. This is the only one of the three that could actually stand as both a technically impressive achievement, AND a remake that isn't creatively pointless. That being said, I doubt it makes anywhere near as much as either of the other two.... as a matter of fact, Cinderella numbers would already be good enough for it.

Edited by MCKillswitch123