Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

5 minutes ago, RichWS said:

That would be wise. It all becomes a little easier when you let go.

The only project he has on the docket at the moment is that Beetlejuice sequel that will never come out, so at least there's nothing with good potential in the pipeline

I guess we shouldn't have put too much faith in a film from the writer of Transformers: Age of Extinction and the director of Alice in Wonderland.

Also, wow, Colin Farrell's big budget projects are so much weaker than his often incredible lower budget projects.

2 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Watch Aladdin getting good reviews... the plot twist 

Yeah, Aladdin actually being well-received when everyone's expecting a dud and this turning out to be a whiff when most had high hopes seems like something that would happen. :lol:

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, filmlover said:

Yeah, Aladdin actually being well-received when everyone's expecting a dud and this turning out to be a whiff when most had high hopes seems like something that would happen. :lol:

And remember: Aladdin already have test screenings and they are actually pretty good

Dumbo doesn’t have test screenings, at least I don’t see anyone talking about it in the past months

This was always going to be a lot more of a Cinderella than an Alice in Wonderland to begin with but I'm guessing it'll go below the former now given that the source is not nearly as popular. It should at least fare much better than A Wrinkle in Time did last year, although $150-175M is probably the best case scenario now with Shazam around the corner.

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, MrGlass2 said:

No way, nostalgia will lift Dumbo to more than decent numbers in NA and Europe.

Like nostalgia lifted Mary Poppins Returns in those markets? And at least that film maintained the tone of the first film. Dumbo doesn't seem to have any of the things the original film had.

Edited by lorddemaxus

On one hand, I’m shocked and a bit disappointed as the trailers were good.

On the other hand, this can mean less of these copy paste remakes hopefully causing more original ideas from Disney, and Pikachu benefits for this underperforming as it’ll be the first big PG movie since Dragon 3

• Astonished 1

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

FWIW the marketing for this has been on the muted side for a major Disney release. Perhaps they figured that Aladdin and especially The Lion King will be much bigger deals.

They should have followed in Guy Ritchie's foot-steps and cast a famous youtuber in this. Logan Paul as Dumbo?

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

FWIW the marketing for this has been on the muted side for a major Disney release. Perhaps they figured that Aladdin and especially The Lion King will be much bigger deals.

Exactly - I've been wondering for weeks if the reason their advertising has focused solely on "selling to their own choir" on their own pay and free networks is b/c it's not great, so, they'd save a ton of money in those costs and and sell to the only major groups likely to buy tickets no matter the quality -  the diehard Disney fans and the family Disney fans.

One week out, I still have never seen the trailer on a theatrically-released family movie (I missed Captain Marvel, but again, that's in the "singing to their choir" category as a Disney Marvel film), or on any network or cable tv (I don't have Disney networks or ESPN) or even sent to me through online ads (like on Facebook, Yahoo, etc)...

2 minutes ago, filmlover said:

In hindsight makes sense, Disney knew that odds are it couldn’t market all four tentpoles (in the span of 10 weeks I think?) of the summer in a highly competitive one for families to the fullest extent without a casualty so saving money now helps later.

I wanted to believe in this because of the trailers and the cast, but Burton has been too wrung of creativity for years, so I was cautious. Looks like it's yet another mediocre effort from him. Sometimes I don't believe 90's Burton is actually the same person as whoever has been using that name on films since. 

At any rate, I highly doubt meh reviews will indicate the performance much. Reviews really don't matter for these Disney live action remakes, unless they're extreme in one direction or the other. 

Edited by MovieMan89

3 minutes ago, YourMother the Edgelord said:

In hindsight makes sense, Disney knew that odds are it couldn’t market all four tentpoles (in the span of 10 weeks I think?) of the summer in a highly competitive one for families to the fullest extent without a casualty so saving money now helps later.

Avengers/Aladdin/Toy Story/Lion King are over the span of 13 weeks (with 4 weeks in between each movie opening). That's more than enough space between them.

• Like 1