Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

10 minutes ago, TimmyRiggins said:

People who think a writer having bad credits means he can't write or a film he wrote is destined to fail should REALLY take a look at a thread Eric Heisserer (Arrival and also Nightmare On Elm Street :D (the final film being nothing like his screenplay) wrote on Twitter or an article he also wrote. If the film is bad, don't blame the writer, there are often multiple screenwriters doing work on a film and you have NO idea who wrote what, when, if anything of the original script is there, if there's been onset rewrites, etc. It's just a fool's errand to try to guess and determine that, unless you're Sorkin, or Zaillan or whomever. 

Sorry Eric Heisserer , you can't have both.

You can't whine that writers don't get enough respect in Hollywood, which is true 

AND

saying if a movie ain't good, don't blame us, it s the director and the rewrites, st00pid.

Edited by The Futurist

1 minute ago, TigerPaw said:

When is review embargo dropping?

In 5 hours

1 hour ago, DisposedData said:

Reception seems really lukewarm. Kind of surprised because the trailers looked so good compared to something like Aladdin. Yet Aladdin will probably be a far superior movie ironically.

Right? I’m really surprised, but facts are facts, despite audiences liking it, critics reactions are just ok.

2 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Right? I’m really surprised, but facts are facts, despite audiences liking it, critics reactions are just ok.

Let's wait and see:

On 3/24/2019 at 3:58 PM, ddddeeee said:

French reviews are out.

All the ones I've read have been positive - mostly 7/10 or 8/10. 

Indiewire review from Ehrlich:

https://www.indiewire.com/2019/03/dumbo-review-tim-burton-live-action-1202053597/

It seems to be middle of the road all around. Too bad. I hoped it would be something special. This movie being another corporate product is probably one of the worst outcomes. Even something awful but weird and absurd like Charlie and the Chocolate Factory would have been better.

Also, some reviews say the movie is heavy (which the original was too), fewer songs, and doesn't have any humour (which the original had a lot of). I can see kids and families turning away from this. Bodes well for Shazam (which is probably more kid and family friendly even if it has a few moments of violence and adult humour).