Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

Feel like Aladdin will get similar reactions to this, or even similar reactions to King Arthur '17, while Lion King will probably get into the low-to-mid 70's like BATB. This looked the best of those three, and it sounds like it's a dud.

hope we get some new Gambino music with TLK tho

• Knock It Off 1

24 minutes ago, TMP said:

Feel like Aladdin will get similar reactions to this, or even similar reactions to King Arthur '17, while Lion King will probably get into the low-to-mid 70's like BATB. This looked the best of those three, and it sounds like it's a dud.

I still have high hopes for TLK, Favreau at least showed he can make a well-received remake with Jungle Book. That said I thought this movie would get good reviews as well based on the trailers...ah well.

2 hours ago, CoolioD1 said:

Frankenweenie was when i totally gave up on burton. A supposed passion project shouldn’t be so dull and lifeless.

This 100%. I still have no clue what movie critics watched to give that such great reviews, because it was one of the most lifeless animated films of the decade. And it was so easy to make something like that creative and endearing and he still seemed like he was asleep at the wheel. 

37 minutes ago, TMP said:

TLK will be on the same level as Jungle Book (2016).

3 minutes ago, MovieMan89 said:

This 100%. I still have no clue what movie critics watched to give that such great reviews, because it was one of the most lifeless animated films of the decade. And it was so easy to make something like that creative and endearing and he still seemed like he was asleep at the wheel. 

I remember being shocked that it wasn't as good as Corpse Bride.

big fish the ending still gets me but there's a lot that doesn't work about it. billy crudup is terrible, even mcgregor is kinda lame. harrassing someone into a courtship scenes are never fun to watch, the korea stuff is kinda racist. in fact the half hour stretch before you get to the ending where he's buying the town and fixing helena bonham carter's house is super fucking boring. i like the giant and werewolf devito tho.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TMP said:

Something in my gut tells me that Aladdin is going to way overperform and have a high 70s/low 80s score. While the Lion King will be in the 90s. One of the three remakes was going to be a clear dud and I think we know which one it is now lol.

26 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Dumbo soars above 50% RT (and soon above $50M OW).

To 55%?

In your defence, the $50 million opening weekend is still likely (I should know-the reviews aren't stopping me from seeing it in this weekend).

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, MrGlass2 said:

Dumbo soars above 50% RT (and soon above $50M OW).

With a flying elephant, the puns are as inevitable as the water-based ones for Aquaman.

Dumbo flies in with 60 million and soars overseas, circling 180 million worldwide take-off.

Dumbo lands in as per expectations, at 50 million.

Dumbo crash lands with 35 million domestically and gets grounded overseas, for an 80 million worldwide weekend. 

All options covered. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Lion King is going to be HUGE because even if it's not great it's going to look fantastic and I think there are certain properties like Lion King and probably Beauty and the Beast where they are sooo well known that people have to see for themselves.  Aladdin falls in that camp with me.  

But yeah, these live action remakes..  I'm not sold on them at all,  the animated films will always stand the test of time.