Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

17 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Is he really above the material? I love Henry V and Hamlet as much as everyone else (also a big fan of Much Ado About Nothing and Cinderella) but he has also had a crap ton of misses and has been making blockbusters for the past few years.

Yeah, like Branagh had directed only Shakesperean remakes and other "Class" projects.

He first film after Henry V put him on the map was "Dead Again", a modern mystery thriller set in L.A.  He has always tried to avoid being seen as a "classics only " director.

He did the first "Thor" film for Marvel, for Heaven's sake.

• Thanks 2

Ok movie, kid liked it..way too slow and way too depressing for 80% of the film. Burton was a terrible choice for this movie. I put about 80% of the blame on him, other 20% on the acting.

Very disappointed wanted it to be great. At least the kiddo liked the end, not sure she liked the first 100 minute's

On 4/2/2019 at 6:09 PM, dudalb said:

SO Dumbo will be like Alita: a expensive film that will probably make back it's cost, but won't make the kind of profit the studio expected for such a large expenditure.

Probably make money once when they put the movie on the Disney streaming service.

7 minutes ago, John Marston said:

This is having probably the worst second weekend drop for a family film ever. Is  it that bad? Jesus 

All the Dumbo fans just went to see it in a rush. It was bound to have a steep drop because it was very front-loaded.

sUpua6W.gif

1 hour ago, CoolioD1 said:

michael keaton was legit so bad in this. i can't think of another time i've actively disliked one of his performances but yikes.

I think part of it was the script. It felt to me like there were so many scenes where it looked like his character didn't know what to do or say. That's not just acting.

I've heard from friends who took their kids to see this that the movie was overall more depressing than necessary. (More depressing than the original film, even.)

If this is true, I think that is why Dumbo is faring so poorly in the box office. But I haven't seen it yet, so my thoughts likely mean nothing.

Edited by NoobSaibot
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, RichWS said:

Did you at least get anything out of them saying "Big D"?

the parts where colin farrell calls him big D and then slaps his ass before he goes out to perform... i think that's how tim burton directs danny devito as well.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2