Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

7 minutes ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

When are you seeing Dumbo?

I could have already - but I am pretty busy on weekends, when it is the only time I actually do some work. :) It goes with show-business, books in my case.

Hopefully I'll see it tomorrow, Saturday night. Really hope it looks good. Don't care about much else.

Edited by shayhiri

22 hours ago, Zakiyyah6 said:

Really? Because it feels to me like a film that people have been shoving up my ass as the next big thing for 6 months now. Maybe, I'm wrong but it all feels like manufactured hype like Christopher Robin and A Wrinkle in Time received. 

Well, idc what anybody says, but I fell in love with the little flying fella. It was a good movie, I really enjoyed it. I didn't watch Christopher Robin or A Wrinkle in Time, so I can't really provide an answer to your claims.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, baumer said:

Looks like I'll be seeing this after all.  Apparently it has a strong message about how animals should not be in the circus or in captivity at all.  That's a movie worth getting behind.

I kinda imagined that after the first trailer. I don't know, the second trailer was very meh, but the first one kinda got me. 

24 minutes ago, Manny G said:

62% Audience score for Dumbo on RT 😬coupled with that Rotten score from critics things aren’t looking so good.

What is the Cinemascore? That's the most important one. RT audience score can be easily manipulated so I don't trust that one. Take a look at CM. It has 60% audience score but the Cinemascore is 'A'. And we all know by now that it good legs and weekend-to-weekend drops.

Edited by UserHN
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, UserHN said:

What is the Cinemascore? That's the most important one. RT audience score can be easily manipulated so I don't trust that one. Take a look at CM. It has 60% audience score but the Cinemascore is 'A'. And we all know by now that it good legs and weekend-to-weekend drops.

37 minutes ago, nevermore said:
DUMBO (2019) A-

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, UserHN said:

Who would manipulate a Dumbo audience score. Also seeing how the estimate for the weekend are keep on getting lowered it’s quite evident at this point that the movie is not clicking.

34 minutes ago, Manny G said:

Who would manipulate a Dumbo audience score. Also seeing how the estimate for the weekend are keep on getting lowered it’s quite evident at this point that the movie is not clicking.

You're underestimating the Disney haters. Lol. There are so many of them.

Well this was visually outstanding to look at. Really enjoyed it and liked that it did branch out a little not make it an exact carbon copy (which is like 60 minutes or so) Shame it's seemingly under performing.  

I've noticed that CG elephants in films seem to look really good (Jungle Book, Legend of Tarzan, Dumbo, even that Netflix Mowgli). They're becoming the new digital primates.

My only mild complaint is that they should have at least giving Timothy the mouse (who has three scenes) a larger role than what it had. They could have even kept him silent.

Spoiler

Half expected the circus troupe to release the animals in Nightmare Island so they could EAT that creepy bald guy.

BRING ON LION KING

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Yandereprime101189 said:

Well this was visually outstanding to look at. Really enjoyed it and liked that it did branch out a little not make it an exact carbon copy (which is like 60 minutes or so) Shame it's seemingly under performing.  

I've noticed that CG elephants in films seem to look really good (Jungle Book, Legend of Tarzan, Dumbo, even that Netflix Mowgli). They're becoming the new digital primates.

My only mild complaint is that they should have at least giving Timothy the mouse (who has three scenes) a larger role than what it had. They could have even kept him silent.

Hide contents

Half expected the circus troupe to release the animals in Nightmare Island so they could EAT that creepy bald guy.

BRING ON LION KING

While I felt there were one or two flaws, I ultimately enjoyed it.

It is a shame it's underperforming, I suppose.

I'm more worried about the potential effect on Burton's career-he could go back to lower-budgeted films, become a gun-for-hire, or retire outright if the movie really sinks.

Burton will be fine. I feel like Beetlejuice 2 is going to be announced as his next film soon - though I'm over that (what was Keaton doing in this film?).

As long as he lets Elfman do his thing. This theme just magnificent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, That One Guy said:

This was enjoyable.  About on par with The Jungle Book for me if we’re comparing it with other live action Disney remakes, and it’s miles above the war crime that is Alice in Wonderland.

From what I've heard about Alice in Wonderland, being better than it isn't a high bar.