Ash Skywalker

Disney's Dumbo | March 29, 2019 | Tim Burton | Reviews coming in

1 hour ago, JohnnyGossamer said:

Keaton's gonna get a fun reaction here.

One of the main reasons I'm still looking forward to seeing this this weekend. Love how he's overcome the odds after losing the Oscar to Eddie Redmayne when most people figured he would just fade back into obscurity and has had a better and more interesting career post-Birdman than Redmayne has post-The Theory of Everything. He even brings dignity to DTV level garbage that's beneath him like American Assassin.

Edited by filmlover

3 minutes ago, filmlover said:

One of the main reasons I'm still looking forward to seeing this this weekend. Love how he's overcome the odds after losing the Oscar to Eddie Redmayne when most people figured he would just fade back into obscurity and has had a better and more interesting career post-Birdman than Redmayne has post-The Theory of Everything. He even brings dignity to DTV level garbage that's beneath him like American Assassin.

He's a lunatic American Assassin. Love that interrogation scene.

I thought this movie was like a lower budgeted Disney remake, around $60-70m, now I'm reading this thing costs $170m. 

How? Who is this interested in Dumbo? Where in any of the trailers is there an indication that this movie cost over $100m? It's bloody madness.

1 hour ago, AJG said:

I thought this movie was like a lower budgeted Disney remake, around $60-70m, now I'm reading this thing costs $170m. 

How? Who is this interested in Dumbo? Where in any of the trailers is there an indication that this movie cost over $100m? It's bloody madness.

I was also shocked when I read that the budget is $170M. I thought less than $100M. The budget is more than CM. How did that happen? I saw nothing in the trailer that requires a budget this big.

Looks like I'll be seeing this after all.  Apparently it has a strong message about how animals should not be in the circus or in captivity at all.  That's a movie worth getting behind.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, baumer said:

Looks like I'll be seeing this after all.  Apparently it has a strong message about how animals should not be in the circus or in captivity at all.  That's a movie worth getting behind.

Yup, movie is very good and most original remake ever. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dudalb said:

Oh Please. A bad/mediocre movie with messages is still a bad'mediocre movie.

What the hell? Never said anything about quality here. He mentioned messages and I simply replied that what he heard about the one message was true and it tacks on two other messages. That's it. What kind of bullshit response is this?

When the flying elephant is the most believable part of the movie...

Jesus that script was bad

It's such a shame because the elephant stuff really works. My heart melted every time I saw him, but the movie really isn't interested in him. When the movie decided it was about Dumbo again in the last two minutes, I cried. Had the movie built to that moment from the get-go it'd be an all-time tear-jerker. Instead we got a genuine robot of a lead (Butterfield was equally bad in Miss Peregrine - Burton must be to blame here) talking us through what Dumbo must be feeling at every opportunity. A mess.

The main cast do their best and Atwood, Elfman and Heinrichs all brought their A-game, but that all amounts to nothing when you have that as your screenplay.

Edited by ddddeeee

33 minutes ago, ddddeeee said:

When the flying elephant is the most believable part of the movie...

Jesus that script was bad

It's such a shame because the elephant stuff really works. My heart melted every time I saw him, but the movie really isn't interested in him. When the movie decided it was about Dumbo again in the last two minutes, I cried. Had the movie built to that moment from the get-go it'd be an all-time tear-jerker. Instead we got a genuine robot of a lead (Butterfield was equally bad in Miss Peregrine - Burton must be to blame here) talking us through what Dumbo must be feeling at every opportunity. A mess.

The main cast do their best and Atwood, Elfman and Heinrichs all brought their A-game, but that all amounts to nothing when you have that as your screenplay.

That seems to be the main complaint: Dumbo is great, but the other charecters are really poorly done.

I presume the Crows are nowhere to been seen.....

14 hours ago, UserHN said:

I was also shocked when I read that the budget is $170M. I thought less than $100M. The budget is more than CM. How did that happen? I saw nothing in the trailer that requires a budget this big.

Captain Marvel looks like 30 (thirty!) million, badly spent. TV movie.

You should all stop citing the name of this ugly mediocrity - and see what Alita!! did with the same money, 170m.

Now THAT is something... But most of you didn't even see this great movie, did ya... 😕  So how would you know...

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Captain Marvel looks like 30 (thirty!) million, badly spent. TV movie.

You should all stop citing the name of this ugly mediocrity - and see what Alita!! did with the same money, 170m.

Now THAT is something... But most of you didn't even see this great movie, did ya... 😕  So how should you know...

When are you seeing Dumbo?