Fancyarcher

Disney's A Wrinkle in Time | 9th March, 2018 | Frozen's Jennifer Lee writing, Ava DuVernay directing. 45% on RT

I'm rooting for it but I'm not exactly optimistic at this point.

Of course I would also argue there are worse potential fates than becoming a Disney cult film, alongside the likes of TRON or BLACK HOLE or HOCUS POCUS (aka what would Freeform do without showing that in October?) and so forth. 

• Like 1

You guys are taking one person's opinion of it and now you're not going to give it a chance?  Maybe Empire has different taste in film than the rest of you.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, baumer said:

You guys are taking one person's opinion of it and now you're not going to give it a chance?  Maybe Empire has different taste in film than the rest of you.

No, I am taking what he said and coupling it with the my lack of faith in Disney's treatment of the source material (this is their 2nd shot and they messed up the first time too.) Gonna give it a shot like I do most every flick (no judgment till I see it) but it doesn't help that for the most part my thoughts have been in sync with @EmpireCity on almost every film he has given advance buzz on..... Hopefully this turns into a Wonder Woman situation though (box-office wise).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, baumer said:

There's also the fact that the trailer makes it look Howard the Duck level bad. 

• ...wtf 1

I refuse to believe anything until I see it.  Ava's an amazing director and in all the interview's she's done, she's spoken with such a clear vision for what she wanted.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, baumer said:

29 minutes ago, narniadis said:

No, I am taking what he said and coupling it with the my lack of faith in Disney's treatment of the source material (this is their 2nd shot and they messed up the first time too.) Gonna give it a shot like I do most every flick (no judgment till I see it) but it doesn't help that for the most part my thoughts have been in sync with @EmpireCity on almost every film he has given advance buzz on..... Hopefully this turns into a Wonder Woman situation though (box-office wise).

And I'm still giving a shot because people I respect/trust have given it a glowing reaction. 

On the other hand, I've seen mixed and outright negative reactions ala EC's.  So his post is another data point that the overall reaction might be mixed, leading to a perhaps lower box office total than some would hope.

That's the reason for my ":whosad:" more than anything.

===

Personally I'm looking for four things from this movie, three of which I've already mentioned several times in-thread and one which is MUCH more in spoiler territory.  If the movie handles those four things correctly, I'll probably be happy.  But one of them is still a giant red flag for me, so we'll see.

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 2

15 minutes ago, captainwondyful said:

I refuse to believe anything until I see it.  Ava's an amazing director and in all the interview's she's done, she's spoken with such a clear vision for what she wanted.

Clear vision or not, the book has been chalked up to being "unfilmable" for a reason. I mean even the most visionary directors miss the mark now and then.

I am still looking forward to it, but it is becoming obvious that the film will be a bit divisive in it's reception and that's ok.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, narniadis said:

Clear vision or not, the book has been chalked up to being "unfilmable" for a reason.

Ironically AWiT is easily the most adaptable/filmable of the trilogy/quadology books of this particular series.

If folks walking out of A Wrinkle in Time think it was weird, it's absolutely child's play compared to the next two (I personally never bothered with the fourth book so I can't comment on it)

Edited by Porthos
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The buzz for this seems better than Tomorrowland to me. I'm seeing lots of praise for the cast performances (especially the lead), and the diversity/representation angle could allow it to ride a bit on Black Panther's coattails. I'm seeing similar campaigns to raise money for underprivileged kids to see this film.

Yeah...that was bad. 

The main problem is the movie goes ALL over the place, which is almost understandable considering the book, but in the film itself there's no explanation why and when they go from place to place. The pacing is all over the place. Also the writing was subpar at best. I felt no connection with the characters at all.

Movie looks pretty at least.

Of course, just saying if you're a critic, you'd be tiptoeing carefully around Disney since bad reviews might cost you a nice premiere seat in the future. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 2

52 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Yeah...that was bad. 

The main problem is the movie goes ALL over the place, which is almost understandable considering the book, but in the film itself there's no explanation why and when they go from place to place. The pacing is all over the place. Also the writing was subpar at best. I felt no connection with the characters at all.

Movie looks pretty at least.

Of course, just saying if you're a critic, you'd be tiptoeing carefully around Disney since bad reviews might cost you a nice premiere seat in the future. 

Thus proving my point that critics are shills. If this was a movie from a different studio, it would have been trashed. No one wants to NOT be invited for future Star Wars, MCU and Indiana Jones premieres. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Yeah...that was bad. 

The main problem is the movie goes ALL over the place, which is almost understandable considering the book, but in the film itself there's no explanation why and when they go from place to place.

The trailer makes it look like about 20 different blockbusters smashed together. :jeb!:

Edited by MrGlass2
  • Like 1