Neo

Shazam! | April 5, 2019 | 21st Most Profitable Film of 2019

2 hours ago, TigerPaw said:

Still don't get what WB will put it between CM and A:EG...

This summer is so nuts that WB may have actually made the right call. Shazam wouldn't play well against Detective Pikachu, another family-oriented action comedy. I think Shazam would have done fine against Toy Story 4 in June, but maybe WB was scared that Toy Story 4 would lock down the younger demographics. 

21 minutes ago, stealthyfrog said:

This summer is so nuts that WB may have actually made the right call. Shazam wouldn't play well against Detective Pikachu, another family-oriented action comedy. I think Shazam would have done fine against Toy Story 4 in June, but maybe WB was scared that Toy Story 4 would lock down the younger demographics. 

I think Shazam! would have done fine in Shaft's spot.

Ultimately, I think Shazam will do fine in its current spot.  It's gonna have 3 nice weekends and 2 "summer-like" weekday weeks...and it might even get to benefit as the "spillover" super for Endgame on its opening weekend.  

I'm not sure there was a better spot without a huge kick, b/c it and Spidey are gonna have very similar audiences, so 3 weeks before Spidey in June is no better than 3 weeks before Endgame in April (and probably worse b/c I think Spidey has the more "matching" audience)...

• Like 1

Really don't see how August is more crowded than this current market. But, it is what it is, the movie looks to be great, so even if it would have made a few million more in a different slot, it won't be a tragedy, as it adds more to the solid foundation that DC is using to rebuild. Hell, at this point, a Wonder Woman - Aquaman - Shazam Trinity movie would blow the actual DC Trinity out of the water box office wise, so WB won't be upset if this makes Ready Player One money (with a bit of a reverse US-China result).

9 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Really don't see how August is more crowded than this current market. But, it is what it is, the movie looks to be great, so even if it would have made a few million more in a different slot, it won't be a tragedy, as it adds more to the solid foundation that DC is using to rebuild. Hell, at this point, a Wonder Woman - Aquaman - Shazam Trinity movie would blow the actual DC Trinity out of the water box office wise, so WB won't be upset if this makes Ready Player One money (with a bit of a reverse US-China result).

Lmao no. 

1 minute ago, reddevil19 said:

Except for the fact that both the Wonder Woman and Aquaman solo movies already did just that. So...

Through legs. BvS' OW is still the biggest DCEU OW yet, and if it got better WoM domestically and didn't epically crash it would've definitely passed a billion. Once Reeves gets his DCEU Batman going and WB stops being stubborn and lets someone redo Superman ((As much as I personally love MoS and BvS UE)), they'll both be fine.

Just now, Mulder said:

Through legs. BvS' OW is still the biggest DCEU OW yet, and if it got better WoM domestically and didn't epically crash it would've definitely passed a billion. Once Reeves gets his DCEU Batman going and WB stops being stubborn and lets someone redo Superman ((As much as I personally love MoS and BvS UE)), they'll both be fine.

Well, sure. Ifs and buts. The point is that's the situation we're in now. And with WW84 and probably the AQM sequel before any new Superman movie, those characters' popularity will only grow. Personally, I expect WW84 to open around the 200 million mark. The AQM sequel will increase internationally - even if China decreases a bit, as I think the traditional markets will embrace the sequel more. So, yes, while, in a few years' time, with Batman and Superman re-established, I expect any team-up movie to be able to realise its Avengers-like potential, at this very moment, I would bet on the success of this alternative trio over the classic one.

13 minutes ago, reddevil19 said:

Well, sure. Ifs and buts. The point is that's the situation we're in now. And with WW84 and probably the AQM sequel before any new Superman movie, those characters' popularity will only grow. Personally, I expect WW84 to open around the 200 million mark. The AQM sequel will increase internationally - even if China decreases a bit, as I think the traditional markets will embrace the sequel more. So, yes, while, in a few years' time, with Batman and Superman re-established, I expect any team-up movie to be able to realise its Avengers-like potential, at this very moment, I would bet on the success of this alternative trio over the classic one.

Maybe internationally ((And we'd have to see with Shazam)) but domestically? Imo not really. 

Shazam is the most heartfelt, fun and emotional blockbuster in years.Action is terrific but the family stuff is what really steal the show and you end up feeling that they are your family.The blend of different elements is done perfectly.That’s a superhero film akin to the classic family movies I was watching as a kid and I can see it becoming a movie that will play on tv on a Sunday afternoon with the entire family gathered around.It’s that awesome.Oh and Levi and the child actors are fantastic in this.I honestly can’t find a bad thing to say and honestly it might have overtaken Dragons as my favorite movie so far this year and Wonder Woman/MOS as my favorite DCEU movie...definitely right up there.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Astonished 3

Just now, SpiderByte said:

Absolutely yes. Aquaman beat BvS, which used the Trinity a shit ton in the promotional material.

From a mix of December legs and an absolutely insane China run vs a movie that got horrible WoM. It's not exactly a fair comparison. 

40 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Shazam is the most heartfelt, fun and emotional blockbuster in years.Action is terrific but the family stuff is what really steal the show and you end up feeling that they are your family.The blend of different elements is done perfectly.That’s a superhero film akin to the classic family movies I was watching as a kid and I can see it becoming a movie that will play on tv on a Sunday afternoon with the entire family gathered around.It’s that awesome.Oh and Levi and the child actors are fantastic in this.I honestly can’t find a bad thing to say and honestly it might have overtaken Dragons as my favorite movie so far this year and Wonder Woman/MOS as my favorite DCEU movie...definitely right up there.

If you don’t mind me asking, where are you from and did the jokes work ok for you? 

2 hours ago, TwoMisfits said:

Ultimately, I think Shazam will do fine in its current spot.  It's gonna have 3 nice weekends and 2 "summer-like" weekday weeks...and it might even get to benefit as the "spillover" super for Endgame on its opening weekend.  

I'm not sure there was a better spot without a huge kick, b/c it and Spidey are gonna have very similar audiences, so 3 weeks before Spidey in June is no better than 3 weeks before Endgame in April (and probably worse b/c I think Spidey has the more "matching" audience)...

SMH in 2017 had zero affect on WW's numbers