Noctis

La La Land | Now Playing | Record-Tieing 14 Oscar Noms and Record-Breaking 16 BOFFY Noms

29 minutes ago, Joel M said:

It will not make the sight and sound poll of best movies of all time that happens every decade and probably won't be studied in film schools but I bet it would be more well remembered 10 years from now than most of this decade's BP winners.

That got me thinking about previous winners so I pulled up the list. While I like a number of recent winners, when I look at the last ten years and think "which ones would I actually watch again  if I was flipping through the channels and saw it on", the only one would be No Country for Old Men.

The ten years before that there's 4, maybe 5 movies I'd watch again, 3 in the ten years before that.

So for me the last decade has not been particularly appealing for the winners, I like some of them, but not really interested in seeing them again, but I already know I'd watch LLL again.

6 minutes ago, filmlover said:

lol this will not be a forgotten Best Picture winner. Come on now. I'll bet you anything it's featured in movie montages a decade from now (the observatory scene is the one most likely to be featured).

We know, you say this every week :lol: 

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, tribefan695 said:

At the very least, as long as Damien Chazelle has a career we can expect more thinkpieces about how overrated this is every time he does a press tour for a new film

I'm so looking forward to years of that discussion...

Haven't seen the movie so have no opinion either way, but I've seen quite a few people double-down and say 'actually, while we're at it, Whiplash sucks too!' which I think is a shame. Especially as the people arguing that seem to think that film had a happy ending and was all that concerned with music.

• Like 1

Just now, Hatebox said:

Haven't seen the movie so have no opinion either way, but I've seen quite a few people double-down and say 'actually, while we're at it, Whiplash sucks too!' which I think is a shame. Especially as the people arguing that seem to think that film had a happy ending and was all that concerned with music.

I've been on the "Whiplash is overrated" train for two years :redcapes: 

5 minutes ago, WrathOfHan said:

I've been on the "Whiplash is overrated" train for two years :redcapes: 

But 'overrated' means nothing. You could even quite like it and think it was overrated. :)

ETA: (I'm not going to spend time going to bat for Whiplash, it's just a weird trend I noticed in contemporary criticism.)

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

i think at least la la land and whiplash both prove that chazelle really knows how to end a movie strong. read an article about how he goes about writing his endings. somewhat surprisingly LAST OF THE MOHICANS big influence on how he does it. bascially no dialogue in the last ten minutes of each and let the emotions carry you through.

Yeah that has me torn. On the one hand I think he's definitely a better director than writer, on the other hand all three of his movies have had enough personality that I would've liked to see him further develop his own voice through writing. Hopefully First Man doesn't suddenly turn him into a Ron Howard type or something. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

i think at least la la land and whiplash both prove that chazelle really knows how to end a movie strong. read an article about how he goes about writing his endings. somewhat surprisingly LAST OF THE MOHICANS big influence on how he does it. bascially no dialogue in the last ten minutes of each and let the emotions carry you through.

Guy and Madeline on a Park Bench is the same. Much smaller scale but still an ending that elevates the whole movie. 

8 minutes ago, CoolioD1 said:

the fact that he's doing the neil armstrong biopic next... idk. i'll see it, i like space movies but my first thought reading that news was "oh, so he wants to be that kind of filmmaker?"

I swear, the first time I saw that news I thought it said Louis Armstrong.:lol:

• Like 2

Just now, Incarnadine said:

I swear, the first time I saw that news I thought it said Louis Armstrong.:lol:

the first time i read it i thought it was lance armstrong! which is actually a more interesting idea to me and would fit in thematically w/ chazelle's other work in interesting ways as an intense dude who goes far for his passions but also differently he's bullshitting it too. i know Frears did a terrible lance armstrong movie a couple years ago but if sorkin was allowed to correct the steve jobs movie he should be allowed.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CoolioD1 said:

the first time i read it i thought it was lance armstrong! which is actually a more interesting idea to me and would fit in thematically w/ chazelle's other work in interesting ways as an intense dude who goes far for his passions but also differently he's bullshitting it too. i know Frears did a terrible lance armstrong movie a couple years ago but if sorkin was allowed to correct the steve jobs movie he should be allowed.

I thought it said Louis Armstrong at first because that boy likes his jazz.

• Like 1