kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

1 minute ago, TMP said:

China to the rescue? Could it hit 6x legs domestically, or do you think there's too much competition from Aquabro/Poppins/Bee/Grinch?

I'm not the right person to ask to be honest. Seems like Spider-Man is gonna perform significantly worse than Lego Batman in places like the UK, Germany, etc but it's gonna do better in places like China, South Korea (even though these amounts aren't much in a vacuum). Like South Korea opened to 2.8 million it sounds like. Not good, but considering Lego Batman did 1m there...you gotta take it. I guess 150m DOM and 150m OS is still the target? I really have no idea.

• Sad 1

Just now, MrPink said:

I'm not the right person to ask to be honest. Seems like Spider-Man is gonna perform significantly worse than Lego Batman in places like the UK, Germany, etc but it's gonna do better in places like China, South Korea (even though these amounts aren't much in a vacuum). Like South Korea opened to 2.8 million it sounds like. Not good, but considering Lego Batman did 1m there...you gotta take it. I guess 150m DOM and 150m OS is still the target? I really have no idea.

Alright. LEGO Batman did anemic overseas, but it's still apparently getting a sequel, so I hope $300m is enough for Sony to go forward with more Spider-Verse films.

I loved it,but can see why it might not go ever huge with the general audience.

I knew I was really going to like it  when the Comic Code Seal Of Apporval went on .

I suspect the one when over  the head of quite a few self proclaimed comic book geeks, since a lot the poseurs are totallly  unfamiliar with the history of comics,

And  I suspect we have the first of the Stan Lee tributes with the quote by Lee in the final credits.

At the performance I attneded, one of the theater people  went to the front of the theater and warned  about the flashing lights in the movie, how it would cause problems for people with epileptic problems, and offered a refung to those who felth they had to leave. He and the printed waring at the start of the film were not kidding.
All the lighting effects would cause problems. My sister has a mild case of epilepsy, and I already warned her not to see it in a theater, to wait until it came out on video,

4 hours ago, DAR said:

Those of you who’ve  seen this.  Would this have worked in live action too?

Depends on which Spiders they had chosen. Some like Peni Parker seem to work best in animation so choosing her was a great choice to contrast her anime style against the more Looney Tunes-y take on Spider-Ham and ole newspaper print on Spider-Man: Noir.

But selecting some other Spider-People would have worked as well or even better in live action IMO. 

• Like 1

Sony proved truly out of touch with this one. Right before the release, they literally forgot about Miles and made it all about Gwen. Gwen gets a spin-off. Gwen gets to be the co-lead in the sequel. This movie is adventures of Gwen and Miles (erm, no). Gwen, Gwen, Gwen. Then the movie opened and women and girls were nowhere to be found. Instead, single white men showed up. Does not bode well for Gwen toys. have a feeling Mary Poppins doll is gonna obliterate it in sales.  

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

Sony proved truly out of touch with this one. Right before the release, they literally forgot about Miles and made it all about Gwen. Gwen gets a spin-off. Gwen gets to be the co-lead in the sequel. This movie is adventures of Gwen and Miles (erm, no). Gwen, Gwen, Gwen. Then the movie opened and women and girls were nowhere to be found. Instead, single white men showed up. Does not bode well for Gwen toys. have a feeling Mary Poppins doll is gonna obliterate it in sales.  

There's some truth to that...again, it became a million-sequels-are-coming-before-we-even-open-the-movie...it seems audiences are not fans of that plan.  It makes them choose whether to "get involved" or "just give this a pass."  

And this skewed even more "fan" vs "fam" than even I expected...but the big thing is that to sell the fam, you have to sell mom (or the kids to such a huge extent they bug mom til she gives in:)...and I never got sold, even as a huge Spidey fan who read the entire comic this is based on...if it never sold me (and I was b/c of animation and a single kid who said he does not want to see this, while I did have 4 willing members - spouse and the other 3), how much harder was it to sell the not-supers-involved mom?:)

Edited by TwoMisfits
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, TwoMisfits said:

There's some truth to that...again, it became a million-sequels-are-coming-before-we-even-open-the-movie...it seems audiences are not fans of that plan.  It makes them choose whether to "get involved" or "just give this a pass."  

And this skewed even more "fan" vs "fam" than even I expected...but the big thing is that to sell the fam, you have to sell mom (or the kids to such a huge extent they bug mom til she gives in:)...and I never got sold, even as a huge Spidey fan who read the entire comic this is based on...if it never sold me (and I was b/c of animation and a single kid who said he does not want to see this, while I did have 4 willing members - spouse and the other 3), how much harder was it to sell the not-supers-involved mom?:)

this is the take we who predict boxoffice often forget when it comes to uber-nerdy stuff. Fam isn't wired for it so they need different approach than fans to get interested. It's like how CW airport did not play well with normies at all, while nerds predicted 2B off hearing about who fights whom. 

• Like 1