kayumanggi

Spider-Man: Into The Spider-verse | 12.14.2018 | Sony | Phil Lord and Chris Miller

Anything super meta/inside joke-y is at risk of not translating well overseas tbh. Also the difference between an animated film vs. live action.. honestly a lot of buzz surrounding Spider-man or any superhero typically involves the actor in the role. Tom Holland going on talk shows generates huge social media buzz. You lose a lot of that when you don't really have a face to the movie no matter how effusive critics are.

Edited by Rebeccas
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

Well, Armond White (the man, the myth, the legend) just brought the score for this movie down to a 97%. Of course, that’s still a phenomenal score, but it would’ve really been something if this movie had managed to have a near perfect score like Get Out and Lady Bird.  

Why settle for near perfect?

paddington2.jpg

11 minutes ago, Rebeccas said:

Anything super meta/inside joke-y is at risk of not translating well overseas tbh. Also the difference between an animated film vs. live action.. honestly a lot of buzz surrounding Spider-man or any superhero typically involves the actor in the role. Tom Holland going on talk shows generates huge social media buzz. You lose a lot of that when you don't really have a face to the movie no matter how effusive critics are.

I don't think the film is like that, I didn't see much of anything that wouldn't translate well to overseas audiences. I see what you're saying though. In this case, the more people see the film, the more they will tell everyone around them about it. This is that kind of film. 

1 minute ago, TimmyRiggins said:

I don't think the film is like that, I didn't see much of anything that wouldn't translate well to overseas audiences. I see what you're saying though. In this case, the more people see the film, the more they will tell everyone around them about it. This is that kind of film. 

To most of the world, Spider-man has always just been Peter Parker though, I think just the idea of a multiverse with lots of different Spider-people is a little weird to audiences who don't read comics. WOM will probably be great but not sure that's enough to get it past the hump.

3 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

No too sure about China. The jokes for Spiderverse was very dialogue-y and the Chinese are super racist (which is why Black Panther flopped after opening weekend) so having a black lead character isn't going to help.

Also,Spiderverse dropped from 2nd to 4th place from Wednesday to Thursday in the UK. It's all up to America now. When the hell are Thursday preview numbers coming out? 

Yeah, the Chinese are so racist, look at how badly Coco and Fast and Furious did there.

BTW, those chinese presales at least indicate that it is going to do much better than The Grinch lol

Edited by salvador-232
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Yeah, the Chinese are so racist, look at how badly Coco and Fast and Furious did there.

BTW, those chinese presales at least indicate that it is going to do much better than The Grinch lol

Mexican isn't black. F&F isn't centered around a black leading character. The Chinese are racist against black people, but so are most countries in Asia (including the Middle East).

• Knock It Off 1

7 minutes ago, Noctis said:

Mexican isn't black. F&F isn't centered around a black leading character. The Chinese are racist against black people, but so are most countries in Asia (including the Middle East).

But the Chinese started being racist after seeing the movie? the black super hero didn't bothered them for the presales and OW?  (Unless you are saying they are so stupid to not know that because one poster didn't show the face)

The racist explanation would make more sense if it opened low. It seems more likely to me that the movie didn't click for them. Homecoming also suffered similar harsh drops, are the Chinese racist against British actors or something?  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

But the Chinese started being racist after seeing the movie? the black super hero didn't bothered them for the presales and OW?  (Unless you are saying they are so stupid to not know that because one poster didn't show the face)

The racist explanation would make more sense if it opened low. It seems more likely to me that the movie didn't click for them. Homecoming also suffered similar harsh drops, are the Chinese racist against British actors or something?  

And Black Panther made $105m total in China, it is not far from Ragnarok ($112m),  Spider man Homecoming ($ 116m) and bigger than both Guardians of the Galaxy  movies.

The problem is that some people here think that every superhero movie in China is big  as Infinity war,  Venom or Aquaman...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, salvador-232 said:

Yes that a good point, freak short legs is not uncommon at all in China.

• Like 1

Racist China Talk started when they minimized the head of the future boxoffice poison John Boyega on TFA poster. They simply didn't like him and that somehow became "they hate the race" rather than "they hate the actor". But when you look at their other promo material you'll see that they never minimize actors on any account and they even made a standee out of Thorki fan art.  Anyway, for comparison:

TB1SjOoHFXXXXb_XXXXXXXXXXXX_!!0-item_pic

MV5BMTkzNjk1NjUwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwMzg4

51g+9VKhe7L.jpg

jumanji-welcome-to-the-jungle-chinese-mo

as you can see, all actors retain the same proportion they have on American posters. No minimizing, maximizing, etc. They simply had a problem with one actor because it's him as an individual and he proved to be a boxoffice poison in all markets and poor toy seller. The spin that it's somehow a racial bias does not hold considering evidence to the contrary. They simply smelled a future boxoffice poison and marked him down. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Valonqar said:

They simply had a problem with one actor because it's him as an individual

That sound like a very strange explanation to me, Who in China had any idea who Boyega was when Force Awaken was released ? Was he even in a movie that got a China release before ?

No one in the world outside the British had any opinion on him he was a total unknown.

They would not reduce a big stars on poster like on those 2 example above, I think you have the good idea by looking at other release but I would suggest to look at release between 2012-2015/2016 of movies with non-star actor of color to see if it was really an exception on Force Awaken.

Edited by Barnack
  • Like 1

This gorgeous movie gave me chills and thrills, especially

Spoiler

when Miles takes the leap of faith.

At many points during the movie I caught myself watching my kid all wide-eyed and it made me smile.

Spoiler

Spider-man dying in the beginning did bum him out severely though.

I'm so glad I avoided all of the clips and stuff that Sony put out. I've been looking at all of the clips online and I just think how much some of those scenes would have been ruined seeing them out of context without the build up.

• Like 2

Yea, why is it a surprise for someone to hear that Asian countries are racist? Middle Eastern countries (including Turkey) will watch movies with a black lead but they are largely extremely racist among blacks to the point where many people who are above 60 refer to blacks as "slaves."

Japan and China are also very well known for not being fond of black people. To be honest, racism against blacks is not an American thing...it's a worldwide thing.

• Sad 1