kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

18 hours ago, grim22 said:

Brad Pitt has wanted to play a villain for a while. Maybe reach out to him and you get a big value added element. 

This will never happen in a million years, but getting Nicole Kidman as the female villain would give the movie so much publicity and pay off big at the box office.

Brad Pitt would be great and he has it in him to be a villain. Kidman would be even better, she was fantastic as the villain in Paddington.

17 hours ago, TalismanRing said:

Hanks said once he really wanted to play a Bond villain but no one asked him.    He'd be great in a MI as long as it didn't end with him rolling around fighting Hunt like in MI3, MI4 etc which was ridiculous.

I think Hanks would work as perhaps the real mastermind behind The Syndicate/Apostles,

Edited by Jonwo

Gonna see it on Friday. Sadly its one available in 3D here (atleast on screens that are worthy to call them cinema screens). I hate 3D with a passion and i hope it doesnt make the film worse.

• Like 1

Saw the movie yesterday. It was a good, solid movie.

It really wasn’t as “great” as I thought it would be. I actually enjoyed Rogue Nation and Ghost Protocol more. I guess that’s a testament to the overall quality of the series.

2 hours ago, Brainbug said:

Gonna see it on Friday. Sadly its one available in 3D here (atleast on screens that are worthy to call them cinema screens). I hate 3D with a passion and i hope it doesnt make the film worse.

I hate it too the little bit of “depth” you get from 3D isn’t worth the trade u make in picture darkness 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

One person who is benefitting from this is Vanessa Kirby ("The White Widow). Apparently Warners is taking a good look at her as a potential Black Canary in "Birds of Prey". Blake Lively is still probably the favorite,but it never hurts to have a plan B.

6 minutes ago, dudalb said:

One person who is benefitting from this is Vanessa Kirby ("The White Widow). Apparently Warners is taking a good look at her as a potential Black Canary in "Birds of Prey". Blake Lively is still probably the favorite,but it never hurts to have a plan B.

I’ll be happy if she gets the part. I really liked her in this. She really gelled well with Cruise

I still can't get over the entire Paris section. The seamless transition of verticality. Skydiving, motorcycle chase, boat escape, and the final car chase. All of them being some of the best examples of their respective cliche in the genre. Of course, only being slightly broken up by a couple of fights as Tom normally does when in da club.

Edited by ThePhasmid
  • Like 1

Henry Cavill reloading his arms has become so iconic that not only everyone is talking about it on the internet but also it has amassed so many twists that twitter itself created a segment in pop culture called "The magic and influence of Henry Cavill reloading his arms" consisting of tweets about that.Fucking iconic.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, TheDarkKnightOfSteel said:

Henry Cavill reloading his arms has become so iconic that not only everyone is talking about it on the internet but also it has amassed so many twists that twitter itself created a segment in pop culture called "The magic and influence of Henry Cavill reloading his arms" consisting of tweets about that.Fucking iconic.

Was it me though or did it have added sound effects in the trailer i even listened for it the second viewing and heard nothing maybe I just imagined it 😂😂

I thought it was okay.  It has been a long time since I've seen a Tom Cruise movie.  He got old and puffy!  Wow. That was jarring.  I mean, he looks great for his age, kudos, but in my head, I still remembered him much younger, I guess.  

I thought the set up required the main character to be an absolute idiot, and that bugged me, and the ending was ridiculous, but whatever. It was fun enough.  I hadn't seen the prior 2 or 3 in the series, but it didn't require any real knowledge to follow.  The woman who played the White Widow had super-distracting mascara.  I liked all the locations, though.  Very nicely done there.   *shrugs* It was fine.  I liked it.  I'll probably never watch it again, but it was worth my ticket cost.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sabrecmc said:

I thought it was okay.  It has been a long time since I've seen a Tom Cruise movie.  He got old and puffy!  Wow. That was jarring.  I mean, he looks great for his age, kudos, but in my head, I still remembered him much younger, I guess.  

I thought the set up required the main character to be an absolute idiot, and that bugged me, and the ending was ridiculous, but whatever. It was fun enough.  I hadn't seen the prior 2 or 3 in the series, but it didn't require any real knowledge to follow.  The woman who played the White Widow had super-distracting mascara.  I liked all the locations, though.  Very nicely done there.   *shrugs* It was fine.  I liked it.  I'll probably never watch it again, but it was worth my ticket cost.

He’s 56....

• Like 1

11 hours ago, DeWeese said:

He’s 56....

And he looks good for 56, like I said, but I haven't seen him in anything in probably 15 years or more, so it was weird to see him look so much older than I remembered in my head. Just a bit jarring.  Like I said? Not knocking him.  It just threw me.  Bit like seeing someone from college that you haven't seen in ages and wow, they got old, just like the rest of us.

• Like 1

Tuesday night audience was smaller, but more excited than the weekend audience.

Action is still worth the price of admission every time and I definitely have to slow myself down driving home. Definitely not going to surpass RN in total, though.

The name I would like to throw out for M:I 7 is Kathryn Bigelow. 

Fallout isn't remotely on the same level as Fury Road (i.e. it isn't a masterpiece). The film is rather sluggish out of the gate but it slowly builds momentum reaching a third act peak that is arguably one of the best third acts in an action film I've ever witnessed. Unfortunately, the first two acts hold the film back from greatness. I'll need a second viewing to better ascertain why the first two acts aren't as compelling but I think I've found the answer in one of McQ's interviews. 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/mission-impossible-tom-cruise-pushed-a-dark-plot-was-cut-1130744

Spoiler

The stuff that didn’t make it into the film, and there’s remnants of it in the movie … when they go into the bathroom, the whole idea was to assume the identity of John Lark. Ethan ends up having to assume Lark’s identity without the mask. That was gonna be the plot of the whole movie: Ethan assumes the villain’s identity, but looks like himself. And, he must go on convincing people that he is the villain, which forces Ethan to have to do darker and more horrible things in pursuit of his aim, the first of which was breaking Lane out of prison. That was eventually going to take Ethan down a very dark path, all of which Tom really embraced, and which I pursued for a very long time. But, in clinging to that idea, I realized that the movie was not moving forward. It was becoming more about that idea as well as much more intellectual. It was happening at the expense of all the other characters, and the movie was just getting very long before getting back to the things you’re obligated to do in a Mission: Impossible. So, I let it go, and as soon as I let it go, the whole England segment of the movie came together.

Basically Evil Ethan Hunt. There are remnants of this idea in the first two acts and they feel somewhat unfocused. It seems they realized how incongruous this idea was to the Mission franchise. The premise is sound but IMO it doesn't work for Mission. It becomes more about Ethan and less about the team. It's much too grim for the franchise to handle. It lacks warmth. It's not fun. Thankfully they realized this and bailed on it in the midst of production.

A few other criticisms: I'm not sure the dream sequence was entirely effective. It felt rather lazy just like the opening exposition dump. And I didn't enjoy Balfe's score.

If I'm being honest, I'm not sure I entirely agree with the reviews. People should lower their expectations. I'm hoping a second viewing will win me over.

Anyway, I don't think McQ is returning to direct the next film so people can feel free to speculate. This isn't exactly confirmation but I'm rather confident in this prediction. 

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/07/mission-impossible-fallout-christopher-mcquarrie-independent-film-return-1201987962/

Edited by zhu2