kayumanggi

Mission: Impossible - Fallout | July 27 2018 | Paramount | Reactions coming in | "Best action movie since Fury Road"

Watched it again!

People were receptive this time. But there was this one fucking asshole sitting next to me who kept on giggling at regular intervals. I felt like smashing his face. Hate such people who ruin others experience. 

Coming to the movie its as good as watching first time and it actually grew on me a bit. Liked it better than first time and i was on verge of giving the baton to Fallout for best MI. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pandamia! said:

To be fair, I wasn’t comparing Cruise and Elgort.  Cruise is definitely much more impressive in Fallout than Elgort in Baby Driver.

I just don’t think Fallout is good enough to be spoken in the same sentence as god-tier Fury Road.

Id say TLJ throne scene is a better comparison to how good Fallout’s fight scenes are, but people go bat crazy whenever that movie is mentioned.

What a weird comparison...but just no.  Fallout runs circles around that scene. Baby Driver I won't comment on, besides if I ever have to sit through it again I'll prob kill myself.   

Anyways, Fallout was pretty damn good.  I had some gripes, but some of the scenes def had me glued to the seat.  I feel like once the breakout scene action started, it was just an amazing series of great action, tension, and escalating stakes that never quit till the end.  Not sure the ranking yet.  Won't do it after just one viewing.  I love how FR is being thrown around so much because one reviewer made a comparison.  F, they're both amazing if you love great camera work, direction, legit stunts... they both can be great at what they do, but way f'ing diff movies here.

Edited by holcs
  • Like 1

The Paris and London scenes were a lot of fun. The helicopter finale went on waaaay too fucking long for its own good, they needed to shave at least 5 minutes off that.

Incidentally, is the next film already confirmed or am I just imagining that?

I saw the 1st one on the Big Screen at age 16.  Here I am 22 years later still watching Tom killing it.  Loved every minute, Henry was the man in this too.  I thought him and Tom had great chemistry.   The Stunts and Action Sequences were crazy.  Wow @ the whole Bathroom scene.   Loved how some of the shots payed homage to previous films too.  It was kind of a the typical spy type plot with the mastermind villain but there were enough double crosses and twist and turns to keep it interesting.  Ving was too funny, cool he's been in all of them.  Simon really has grown into this role, this is his 4th appearance in the franchise. I thought Rebecca did good again just like "Rogue Nation" so I'm glad she came back for this one.  Ethan is my fav spy, sorry.  Nothing against the other guys but Ethan gets sh!t done.  Also as a fan of the show as well, I love how they keep the same format from the show as far as getting the missions, self destructing, and the intro music.  Overall the films of this last Trilogy has been great and really expanded the franchise.  Christopher did a fantastic job on these last two films.  This was the fastest turnaround for a M:I sequel at 3 years but the franchise works so well by letting the sequels breathe:

Part 2: 4 Years later

Part 3: 6 Years later

Part 4: 5 Years Later

Part 5: 4 Years Later

Part 6: 3 Years Later

So I'd say M:I 7 for 2021 or 2022.  

Edited by filmscholar
  • Like 2

I would say this is the most white knuckle ride of the Mission: Impossible series. I can't decide if it's the best right now, but it certainly contains the most suspenseful set pieces in one sitting. Also, the comedy works far better here than it did in any of the previous films. My entire theater laughed out loud at the Wolf Blitzer prank. It's a nice little easter egg moment to the intro of the original Mission: Impossible, but it's much better executed here. Possibly the best use of a newscaster/late night personality I've ever seen.

Edited by ThePhasmid

pretty much a meh movie, I saw it this afternoon and there was only about 10 people in the theater and no reaction pretty much throughout the film.  It's wasn't bad but kind of just nothing interesting or emotional or anything to attach to the film.  No twist, no interesting ending.  But I guess after 6 of them, there's only so much you can do with it.  I still see it doing pretty decently with money though and audience reaction, overall.

Edited by 75Live

Claiming this to be the best action film in a long time is hard to argue for and against. However, calling it the most clever is a much easier debate. Almost every escape usurps the audience members expectation, and does it in a way that doesn't insult their intelligence. The devil is in its simplicity, I suppose. While I do enjoy the recent batch of Fast and Furious films, their heist/escape sequences lack the logistics and panache that a primed vehicle like Fallout presents. Instead of thinking "that's ridiculous", you're actually thinking "why didn't I think of that". That's extremely rare in a bombastic espionage series such as this and Bond. This film is the best example of the M:I series cleverness.

Edited by ThePhasmid

58 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I think for 7, they should get a name for the villain, I've always wanted Tom Hanks and Cruise to do a film together and Hanks as a villain in a Mission Impossible film would be fun to watch. 

i think leah remini should play the villain.

Edited by CoolioD1
  • Like 1

I rewatched Ghost Protocol last night and didn't remember how bad Paula Patton's character was. It's not only her acting, it's the character. She makes a sad face every time she's reminded her boyfriend was killed, and suddenly becomes emotionally unstable and puts the mission at risk.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, The Dark Alfred said:

Best new addition would be The Rock for MI7. Him and Cruise long awaiting a team up. Probably via a separate action project, but would be cool to see The Rock doing real stunts and proper fighting alongside/against Cruise.

I could see Dwayne Johnson as a villain, he couldn't be part of the IMF as he'd have to play second fiddle to Cruise. I agree a Cruise/Johnson action film would be more likely. 

I think apart from Hanks or Johnson, perhaps a female villain would work

Edited by Jonwo

5 minutes ago, Jonwo said:

I could see Dwayne Johnson as a villain, he couldn't be part of the IMF as he'd have to play second fiddle to Cruise. I agree a Cruise/Johnson action film would be more likely. 

I think apart from Hanks or Johnson, perhaps a female villain would work

Brad Pitt has wanted to play a villain for a while. Maybe reach out to him and you get a big value added element. 

This will never happen in a million years, but getting Nicole Kidman as the female villain would give the movie so much publicity and pay off big at the box office.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, 75Live said:

pretty much a meh movie, I saw it this afternoon and there was only about 10 people in the theater and no reaction pretty much throughout the film.  It's wasn't bad but kind of just nothing interesting or emotional or anything to attach to the film.  No twist, no interesting ending.  But I guess after 6 of them, there's only so much you can do with it.  I still see it doing pretty decently with money though, overall.

"The Last Jedi though! That was lit"