kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

I think a big reason this movie didn't do as well as everyone thought-- at least in theaters-- might just be the title. It's called The Suicide Squad. We already had a Suicide Squad movie five years ago, with one of the same main characters, no less. So when people saw ads for this one, they most likely thought "More of the same? I'm going to skip it, or just watch it on streaming." 

If they had called this movie something else, that wouldn't have been an issue. 

Just now, poweranimals said:

Is it weird to anyone else that the RT verified audience score is down to 84%? That's not a bad score necessarily but still seemed a bit low given how the overall reception has seemed like universal praise.

I’m not that surprised by the score really, let’s not forget that it does contain quite a lot of gory scenes which might not have gone over too well with some audiences.

Of course the other reason is possible review bombing, but that seems to have been fairly light all things considered.

5 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

Getting the second most views there in a weekend is pretty damn good.

It can sound good if presented like that, until you learn that it was a small Mortal Kombat movie being #1

And in that context:

Date US HBO max in millions
06/30/20 26569
09/30/20 28731
12/31/20 37665
03/31/21 40628
06/30/21 43528

It was one of the few movie that was a fully fair competition, SS 2.8 million would be less than 6.4% (depending on how the grow was in july) of the user base watching. While Godzilla Vs Kong 2.6m in march was 6.9% and Wonder Woman 2.2 was 12.8% of what the user base was after it's opening and around 25% of what it was before it's opening.

• Like 1

Just now, Barnack said:

It can sound good if presented like that, until you learn that it was a small Mortal Kombat movie being #1

So because another movie beat it it's suddenly less good? If it was GvK instead with everything else being the same, suddenly it'd be a great achievement?

SS 2.8 million would be less than 6.4% (depending on how the grow was in july) of the user base watching. While Godzilla Vs Kong 2.6m in march was 6.9%

So it basically got the same viewership as the second largest movie of the year, that's still pretty damn good.

9 minutes ago, SnokesLegs said:

I’m not that surprised by the score really, let’s not forget that it does contain quite a lot of gory scenes which might not have gone over too well with some audiences.

Of course the other reason is possible review bombing, but that seems to have been fairly light all things considered.

They can't really do review bombing with the verified audience thing, can they? I guess the gory thing does make sense but it was rated R so I'm not sure what they were expecting.

12 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

So because another movie beat it it's suddenly less good? If it was GvK instead with everything else being the same, suddenly it'd be a great achievement?

Well yes how good a movie is going purely relative to what movies are doing in the same context, if it was just one movie like GvK or Wonder Woman on a 43m HBO max market doing more, but if no big popular movies released to compete with and a small movie was bigger, on what metric are we based on to say that it did good (or bad)?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Last Man Standing said:

So it basically got the same viewership as the second largest movie of the year, that's still pretty damn good.

Specially if 100% of the HBO max audience had access to it relative to now only premium paying on (just learned about that couple of minutes ago)

GvK was more a going to see it in theater experience too.

24 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

They can't really do review bombing with the verified audience thing, can they? I guess the gory thing does make sense but it was rated R so I'm not sure what they were expecting.

It’s harder to do as they’d have to actually pay for it, but some people are weird like that and will “hate watch” something.

19 minutes ago, Menor said:

Imo some people probably didn't like how hard the movie leaned into absurdity. I thought it was a strength but, for example, my dad found the movie "too silly and all over the place". 

My 66 year old father had a similar reaction. He found it entertaining and a “fun escape”, but his initial reaction when I asked what he thought was hysterical laughing followed by the word “bizarre” 😂 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, poweranimals said:

Is it weird to anyone else that the RT verified audience score is down to 84%? That's not a bad score necessarily but still seemed a bit low given how the overall reception has seemed like universal praise.

Overall reception definitely has not seemed like universal praise. Critics were higher on this one than audiences and even the critic score is down to a more normal level.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Chicago said:

Can we just stop with these lame opinions. BOP was shite, had shite WOM and has been completely forgotten about. TSS will be still relevant in 5 years time compared to BOP which no-one outside this site gives a shit about

Seriously, people with these opinions are allowed to vote in leaders, it's scary.

hush psycho. imagine going that far after reading an opinion in 2 movies. TSS wont be relevant in 5 seeing how its not even relevant the weekend it came out

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Cruel Summer said:

TSS wont be relevant in 5 seeing how its not even relevant the weekend it came out

The way Gunn career is going, is filmography could stay somewhat relevant for a very long time, let alone DC entries.

2021The Suicide Squad (directed by)
 2017Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (directed by)
 2013Movie 43 (segment "Beezel")
 2010/ISuper
 2006Slither

Is pretty much batting 1000% imo for 15 year's

• Like 1
  • Haha 1