kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

This was a lot of fun and actually felt like an expensive movie. Felt quite nice to watch a superhero film that didn't feel completely contained by its plot and felt more like a bunch of people having fun (although BoP did a better job of that I think). Would've liked the movie to be more vulgar than trying really hard to be heartfelt but I didn't expect to watch a movie where Taika Waiti made me almost tear up lol. 

Also, Robbie as Harley Quinn easily the most sincere superhero performer atm.

• Like 4

On 8/16/2021 at 10:25 AM, Dominic Draper said:

At least BOP doubled its budget at the box office. May have even broke even or made a profit long term on the home market.

This is likely losing $100M+

Loss would be impossible to calculate. HBOMax subscribers/retention would have to be considered and those numbers will never ever be available. 

On 8/16/2021 at 10:52 AM, SnokesLegs said:

The fact that TSS has held well so far in the UK where it is a theatrical exclusive just shows that the main culprit in the drastic domestic underperformance is due to the streaming option being available.

Exactly. Comparisons to Fantastic 4 and Dark Phoenix are pointless.  

• Like 2

“The Suicide Squad,” make no mistake, is a grand-scaled down-and-dirty throwaway. subdl James Gunn has directed it like a bad boy, though that was his mandate. In fulfilling it, he’s proven himself to be a good boy (which is why he was rehired by Disney for “Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 3”). But he knows how to dip into the gutter with style. 

Edited by robertwillsom

On 8/16/2021 at 5:42 AM, CoolK said:

Is there any super hero movie which was well received & bombed as badly as TSS?

The closest isn't quite a Superhero movie, just a comic book movie, but I think is quite illuminating.....It's Scott Pilgrim V The World. 

For all Brie Larson got so much flack for pointing this out, there is once in a while a movie that narrows the parameters of who its aimed at massively without online culture particularly noticing. Scott Pilgrim did that, and I think TSS does it as well: "The angels are splooging on us", "Beach full of penises" and a talking shark saying "hand" in a childlike goofy voice are all in the trailer and I just don't think they play to a general audience the way they play to online culture. They don't even read as 'edgy' in a Deadpool or Venom way, they just read - without context - as an easily dismissible "dumb" or "childish".

But more than anything else I just think that like The Wolfman, Solo, Mortal Engines, Dredd, Birds of Prey, John Carter the ultimate reason for the debacle is just a fundamental failure to judge the actual appeal of the premise of the film.

The Suicide Squad has, it seems, absolutely no inherent pull as a property. The first film was tethered to the Joker, one of the biggest box office juggernauts in film history. Plus Will Smith.

Even though it has been mentioned multiple times in tandem with other reasons, I think the Joker factor has still been hugely underestimated in what's happened here.

2 hours ago, belblazer said:

Btw, I'm shocked that it's already at $20M in the UK. For comparison, Aquaman did $28.6M and Wonder Woman did $28.1M. Both pg before pandemic.

That’s what happens when it has an exclusive theatrical release. It’s available on PVOD now here, but it was theatrical exclusive for over a month. That UK figure is even more impressive when you consider it has the more restrictive 15 rating while Aquaman and Wonder Woman were both 12A.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

These people really don’t understand the concept of “deleted scenes” do they? Just because extra scenes exist, doesn’t mean that they automatically fit in the movie, if you reinsert every deleted scene into a film it would probably make it a bloated nonsensical mess. Editing happens for a reason, it’s not always some evil studio exec trying to shaft film makers…

• Like 7

Yeah I think they would totally do another one if Will Smith came back.

Btw, it's not like this movie sets up any kind of sequel. This Suicide Squad is finished basically. They have all the leverage on Waller.

So I don't really think its performance is as embarrassing as it could have been if it had a bunch of sequel bait. This movie doesn't. It had finality

• Like 1