kayumanggi

THE SUICIDE SQUAD | August 6 2021 | James Gunn writing and directing

7 minutes ago, Krissykins said:

Yeh, didn’t WB already take a billion dollar hit on its 2021 slate? I’m sure HBOMax will recoup them more than $1bn in revenue. It think it’s already done double that, actually?

I don’t know the exact details but revenue has gone up about 2b since last year I believe but @Jamiem can probably give you the details as he’s an expert on this stuff. 

24 minutes ago, cax16 said:

I don’t know the exact details but revenue has gone up about 2b since last year I believe but @Jamiem can probably give you the details as he’s an expert on this stuff. 

It somewhat difficult to measure as Warner Bros. don't break out Studio entertainment but if you look at the September Quarter vs the most recent Quarter they have added a bunch of revenue but also a bunch of costs.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-15-at-9-37-48-AM.png

Segment operating Revenue went up from about $7.4B in the September quarter (no releases) to $8.5B in the December (WW84) and March quarters and nearly $8.8B in the most recent quarter. but if you look at the bottom programming expenses have gone up as well, although a lot of that could be TV for HBO Max. 

As far as HBO/HBO Max they have done insanely well since the December quarter that WW84 came out and started this strategy up from $1.8B (in Sept Q) to $2.1B (in June Q) and Domestic subscribers up from 38m to 47m. But it will be about keeping those people using the service in 2022 as no more free movies day and date, if they can keep the majority long term though this short experiment would have been worth it in my opinion although they are smart to move back to the 45 day window as this kind of strategy has diminishing returns eventually they would hit a saturation point and not get nearly as many signups (which has been roughly 3m a quarter so far)

Screen-Shot-2021-08-15-at-9-38-32-AM.png

But long answer short between box office and HBO Max it is unlikely the slate lost term $1B+ but they also haven't made a bunch right now but long term if they keep HBO Max subs will have been worth it. 

Edited by Jamiem
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, CoolK said:

Is there any super hero movie which was well received & bombed as badly as TSS?

Nope! That's what makes this all the more baffling. When superhero movies bomb, it's because they're awful

This is performing like Fantastic 4 2015 (25.6m OW/56m DOM). Even Dark Phoenix performed better (32.8m OW/65.8m DOM)

5 minutes ago, The GOAT said:

Birds of Prey?

Not that close to TSS:

(Current RT for Birds of Prey)

RT:           79%   6.8/10

Audience: 78%   4/5

(Current RT for The Suicide Squad)

RT:            91%   7.5/10

Audience   83%   4.2/5

Edited by Porthos

1 hour ago, CoolK said:

Does Dredd count as a superhero movie? Cause people fucking live that movie nowadays, despite it bombing p hard

Also Hellboy 2

Though this is a bit higher rated on RT than the other two

Edited by RobrtmanAStarWarsReference
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, CoolK said:

A CBM and not budgeted as high, but Scott Pilgrim was a classic example of Film Twitter adoring a movie that the masses couldn’t give two nickels about at the time.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, BestPicturePlutoNash said:

Nope! That's what makes this all the more baffling. When superhero movies bomb, it's because they're awful

This is performing like Fantastic 4 2015 (25.6m OW/56m DOM). Even Dark Phoenix performed better (32.8m OW/65.8m DOM)

I mean, it absolutely wouldn’t have done anywhere near the 2016 film after the damage that film did to the brand, but I don’t think it’s exactly fair to compare it’s performance to those films when neither of them had something like HBO Max siphoning box office money. Release Fant4stic or Dark Phoenix now with a streaming option available and they’d probably barely make half of those totals (especially F4).

The fact that TSS has held well so far in the UK where it is a theatrical exclusive just shows that the main culprit in the drastic domestic underperformance is due to the streaming option being available.

• Like 6

Anyway this was decent (7/10) where Gunn shows how effortlessly he can make well-casted likeable/sympathetic to a point puckish rogues and give them good comic character beats. For better or worse, this reminded me of GOTGv2 albeit meaner where Gunn got to indulge himself (especially his Troma roots) and "focus" kinda gets lost here with pacing sacrificed for keeping said beats. Which to be fair when those beats connect, who cares? When they don't, well...I suppose I might give the Guardians films a slight edge if only because they make me feel (see Yondu's funeral for example )and TSS didn't quite despite Gunn's best efforts. But this is entertaining regardless. 

I like how Harley is this movie's John McClaine, able without powers or gimmicks able to survive falling buildings and other potential ghastly deaths. She's tough, I dig that. 

1 hour ago, TwoMisfits said:

Now, while I semi-agree with the 1st statement, ummm, have you forgotten the ending to Green Lantern?  I haven't:)...

Nope. But I literally disliked basically every scene of this movie. It wasn't just silly it was stupid. Did bad in theaters because it was awful. The first suicide squad was way better which is shocking. This was justice league bad then much worse. Even that had plenty of good parts 

Loved GOTG, liked gotg 2 and the cast and director were good selections. What a disaster. Bop was awesome by comparison 😂

Edited by cdsacken
  • ...wtf 2