#ED

Wednesday Actuals: IO - 5M, JW - 3.7M

Oh really? Ok. I thought Tamil ones opened huge, maybe not.

Tamil movies open decently well but Telugu do a lot better. OK Kanmani did well in the US this year, but nothing compared to a many Telugu movies.

not really, that sort of analysis is so basic that is does a disservice to analyzing BO in context. A dollar isn't worth the same over time, it's silly to just say the unadjusted gross is the end all be all gross sorry.

Yeah, does anyone really think JP4 is 80% more popular than the original JP film? That's how it looks when you compare 650 with 357 gross. The National Assocation of Theater Owners is nice enough to provide the average ticket price every quarter. It's foolish to ignore that data when we have it available.

• Like 2

I'm guessing a lot of people in Silicon Valley are buying tickets for it, Silicon Valley/San Jose may as well be absorbed into Andhra or Telangana :P

anyhow movie is releasing in 189 locations in US...ths is live tracking result...only taking presales into account  B)

Baahubali is at $783K from 107 locations now. 

anyhow movie is releasing in 189 locations in US...ths is live tracking result...only taking presales into account B)

Baahubali is at $783K from 107 locations now.

Where are you getting these numbers?

The all star cast of Rana, Prabhas and Sudeep is probably too much to ignore for people.

Oh really? Ok. I thought Tamil ones opened huge, maybe not.

11 telugu mvs grossed more than 1mn US...where as only 5 tamil movs grossed as much....

highest collected telugu movie made 1.8mn in US...this mov is expected to make 2.5-3 mn in 1st weekend....3.5-4mn in full run....

telugu movs are insanely frontloaded.

Gopher, do you have some refined estimates for yesterday's numbers?

Rth is pretty much on point. Crazy that MMXXL and TG are down the same amount from last Wednesday given their 5-day IMs. 

• Like 2

Yeah, does anyone really think JP4 is 80% more popular than the original JP film? That's how it looks when you compare 650 with 357 gross. The National Assocation of Theater Owners is nice enough to provide the average ticket price every quarter. It's foolish to ignore that data when we have it available.

I always use inflation adjusted numbers. It's the only way to try to compare movies from different time periods and to put a movie's BO into proper historical context.

Yes, there are other factors (population, how often people went to the movies in general, etc.) but price inflation is a good start.

Theater/screen saturation is important to note too. These films sold more tickets from a smaller population, with fewer theaters and far fewer screens. I remember that in the days before megaplexes and Fandango, my parents were always wary about going to see a film on opening weekend, because of the risk of waiting in line only to find out the showing we wanted was sold out, and having to wait around for up to two hours for the next showing (depending on whether said movie was on two screens, or just one).

I seem to remember us buying advance tickets for Batman Forever the morning of, and waiting in a massive line around the building just for ticket holders, before our auditorium opened up.) We did sometimes buy tickets at the BO for a showing two hours out, get dinner, then come back.

Part of the blessing/curse of more theaters and presales is that films open bigger, but legs are that much weaker because there aren't as many people waiting it out. (Not the only reason, I know, the Internet and all, just interesting.)

Edited by TServo2049
  • Like 1

For the IO fans, this is beautiful--

MAKE NO MISTAKE, THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT THIS IS; A FILM ABOUT THE DAWN OF MATURITY, EVEN IF THAT DAWN IS REALLY JUST CONTAINED WITHIN A SINGLE MOMENT. BUT WHAT IS SO AMAZING ABOUT INSIDE OUT IS THAT IT HAS SUCH CLARITY WHEN IT COMES TO THE THINGS THAT MAKE US ERUPT OUT OF CHILDHOOD AND INTO THE WORLD OF ADOLESCENCE. FOR IT FOCUSES ON THE SIMPLY STUPENDOUS IDEA THAT WHAT MAKES US TRULY GROW UP IS THE IDEA THAT MEMORY CAN BE COMPLEX.

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/07/08/quick-takes-hulk-vs.-inside-out

And for the JW fans, this is beautiful--

https://soundcloud.com/birdfeeder/jurassic-park-theme-1000-slower

• Like 1

JP played in about half the theaters that JW is.

And far less screens but then screens were bigger then on avg though not nearly as large as the old screen palaces.

It also sold approx 86,205,800 tickets in the U.S. or about 16.6m more than the current total of JP

Minions may not be great, haven't seen it, but I'd like if it broke the Shrek's franchises records.

I've had enough of mediocre superhero movies being forgiven for doing gangbusters and when it's a different kind of movie with similar reviews everyone hopes it doesn't do well.

Screens were bigger on average? I guess, but a couple older multiplexes still survive around here, and their largest auditoriums don't have any more seats than the biggest non-large-format auditoriums at the megaplexes. Most multiplexes' largest auditoriums in 1993 were about equal to or less than the biggest auditoriums at modern theaters, weren't they?

Of course, the fact that it's even approaching the original in popularity is still really freaking mindblowing

• Like 1