grim22

Aladdin live action movie | 24 MAY 2019 | Disney | 7th most profitable movie of 2019. Disney does it again!

1 hour ago, Jonwo said:

I reckon that'll be The Nutcracker, May 2019 or November 2019 seem more likely

The Nutcracker was just put on November 2, 2018 and Mulan for sometime in 2019.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by this. Will Smith as the Genie is great casting.

• Like 1

Just now, filmlover said:

The Nutcracker was just put on November 2, 2018 and Mulan for sometime in 2019.

Anyway, I'm intrigued by this. Will Smith as the Genie is great casting.

If Mulan doesn't shoot this year or early next, I reckon it'll be pushed to 2020 and Aladdin opens in 2019.

Just now, Jonwo said:

If Mulan doesn't shoot this year or early next, I reckon it'll be pushed to 2020 and Aladdin opens in 2019.

Oh yeah, if they begin shooting for Aladdin this year it's definitely making it to sometime in 2019 (probably Thanksgiving or Christmas since I doubt they'll open it in the summer so close to The Lion King).

20 minutes ago, filmlover said:

Oh yeah, if they begin shooting for Aladdin this year it's definitely making it to sometime in 2019 (probably Thanksgiving or Christmas since I doubt they'll open it in the summer so close to The Lion King).

In theory, it could be ready by Summer 2018 but I reckon 2019 is more likely. I reckon November 2019 for Aladdin assuming Episode IX stays put. Disney has a slot for a live action on November 8th. 

Edited by Jonwo

3 hours ago, Rey said:

Yikes at them not casting an Arab-actress to play an Arab role...

Social media is tearing the casting of Naomi apart. It's not her fault of coarse. It probably won't hurt the BO that much. People complain but they'll still take their kids to see it.

If the backlash continues though Naomi might consider backing out. It would suck if it harmed her career.

Edited by Harley

It sucks for Naomi. She's not a ScarJo/Emma Stone level actor who has plenty of opportunities in the industry. She is also a WOC, even if a white passing one (I personally don't think she's that white passing but that's pretty subjective).

Despite my adoration of Disney's Aladdin, this particular aspect has always been messy though. They conflated different cultures together and put a lot of Indian influences in the original movie like Agrabah and its palace based on the Taj Mahal and its native city Agra, the many armed idol, elephant, tiger imagery etc. As a result, Indians too felt a strong connection to the film due to the cultural ambiguity.

It was easier to overlook when it was an animated film, tv show etc. from the 90's. In a live action film set in the 10's though, yeah... people are going to call it out. It was one of the biggest reasons I hoped they wouldn't touch Aladdin during the live action remake spree, but greedy ole Disney gotta milk it. 

Edited by Spidey Freak
  • Like 1

guy ritchie is a terrible choice for the director. I have nothing against Naomi but obviously her casting was going to get backlash lol. Parents will still tae their kids to see it though. I think most of the backlash will be done with by the time the trailer is released as well. 

I don't think she will do a bad job   and I enjoyed her in Power Rangers but...I do wish they had picked someone darker than Naomi.

But I wanted Ritchie gone from this more than I cared about the casting so it's just lose/lose all around for me with this.

People are just hating on the Naomi casting because of her name. She is dark enough and looks the the part. If the guy who is playing Aladdin had a name like David White, There would be backlash of his casting. This will never turn into a Scar Jo or Tilda type casting controversy so I don't think Disney will worry. 

By the way I approve the casting, it's fine. Why the backlash? They don't look too white....And Naomi is really a beautiful Jasmine, love that choice.

However they seem a bit old no?

Edited by Fullbuster