CJohn

Uncharted | February 18, 2022 | Trailer on Page 28!

4 hours ago, Cappoedameron said:

He's way too young for Nathan Drake.

FWIW, Levy had said previously that the intention of this film was to be an origin story that takes place well before any of the game storylines occurred, so I guess that is kind of the point they were going for. 

By the 2nd or 3rd sequel, if this indeed becomes the franchise Sony is hoping it will be, Holland will be looking much older. 

This whole idea seems really redundant to me. The cut scenes in the games were sophisticated enough to function as movies anyway and watching the action set pieces on film is never going to be as fun as playing them. The only logic I can grasp is that Hollywood really, really wants to create another Indiana Jones for this generation, and if it has to steal it from another medium then so be it.

3 hours ago, Hatebox said:

This whole idea seems really redundant to me. The cut scenes in the games were sophisticated enough to function as movies anyway and watching the action set pieces on film is never going to be as fun as playing them. The only logic I can grasp is that Hollywood really, really wants to create another Indiana Jones for this generation, and if it has to steal it from another medium then so be it.

I heard that Tom Holland pitched the idea for a young Nathan Drake Uncharted movie. I think he is trying to create a John Wick/Mission Impossible for himself which is a terrible idea. Uncharted should be focused on the character of Nathan Drake, not the guy playing him.

• Like 1

Well, I'm still unsure about the young Drake idea, BUT Dan Trachtenberg directing gives me great hope and Holland is a really good actor. Plus, the games already were basically interactive movies, so it could work out similarly to the 2018 Tomb Raider movie in that the film basically adapts plenty of the games' setpieces in a way that's cinematically cohesive.

And yes, December 2020 is a great place to release this. Don't think it'll Jumanji itself into becoming a blockbuster, but it could wind up with the #1 video game movie ever spot both DOM and WW.

Just now, Valonqar said:

This gonna bomb. It doesn't matter that Holland is supposed to play young Drake, he is no chad. Drake fans will never accept a beta as Drake no matter what age and GA doesn't care about gameflicks anyway. 

It would bomb regardless of the actor cast, whether its Tom Holland or Nathan Fillion.

I really hope you're being tongue in cheek with the "chad", "beta" stuff. Does anyone in real life actually talk with those words.

11 minutes ago, Avatree said:

It would bomb regardless of the actor cast, whether its Tom Holland or Nathan Fillion.

I really hope you're being tongue in cheek with the "chad", "beta" stuff. Does anyone in real life actually talk with those words.

of course I'm tongue in cheek. I'm just saying that on top of gameflicks being bombs, Holland is miscast for the type of role like Alden was for Solo. you can't put Holland in Indiana Jones on steroids shoes any more than you can put Alden in Ford's and expect success. Different types altogether.

also, Holland's presumed boxoffice power will evaporate when Chaos Wlaking is finally released and bombs worse than any bomb in recent memory. I like the guy but he has no drawing power. it's all marvel and like other marvel actors who bombed outside of it, marvel fans won't follow them in their non-marvel endeavors. 

Edited by Valonqar

The young Nathan Drake angle doesn't look like a great idea but the straight adaptation of the existing games seems like an even worse idea to me.

For all their cinematics the games are still designed as 10+ hours experiences where most of the investment/character development comes from actually playing the game. A movie that just recreates the cutscenes with a bunch of action scenes that are not longer interactive will be every bit as boring as the recent Tomb Raider reboot despite Uncharted having a better "source material".

Imo the best way to go is keep the world/concept and who the characters are, and just make a different story that is more of a fit for a 2 hour movie. And the same applies to The Last of Us, which many believe it would automatically make a good movie. It wouldn't if they try to cram a 15hour game inside a 2 hour movie.

11 hours ago, Alli said:

West Side Story (2020)

WSS will have a lot of work to do if it's going to be big. There is zero nostalgia or even awareness for that film with the under 40 audience, so they will have to figure out how to make it resonate in a big way with younger audiences if it's going to be anything big. 

Edited by MovieMan89

I adore Tom Holland but from the very little I know about Uncharted it definitely sounds he's terribly miscast and the whole project sounds kind of ill-advised, dare I say cringeworthy. Iirc Tom pitched the idea of young Nathan Drake movie while talking with Amy Pascal. From the way they have talked about it I get the impression that Tom was just throwing around ideas and then Pascal latched on that, and that it was her idea to cast Tom (if you have heard the way she talks about Tom and Zendaya she's fucking obsessed with them) who was rather surprised by this turn of events. He definitely wasn't intentionally trying to create a new franchise for himself. I know Tom loves the game and approaches this with similar enthusiasm as he does everything but I had kind of hoped that this whole project would just silently die because it's probably going to be terrible. I don't think you can say does he have any drawing power or not because after being cast as Spidey he hasn't really been in any project that would test it, but I don't think it even matters and this is going to flop nevertheless.

48 minutes ago, bleachella said:

I adore Tom Holland but from the very little I know about Uncharted it definitely sounds he's terribly miscast and the whole project sounds kind of ill-advised, dare I say cringeworthy. Iirc Tom pitched the idea of young Nathan Drake movie while talking with Amy Pascal. From the way they have talked about it I get the impression that Tom was just throwing around ideas and then Pascal latched on that, and that it was her idea to cast Tom (if you have heard the way she talks about Tom and Zendaya she's fucking obsessed with them) who was rather surprised by this turn of events. He definitely wasn't intentionally trying to create a new franchise for himself. I know Tom loves the game and approaches this with similar enthusiasm as he does everything but I had kind of hoped that this whole project would just silently die because it's probably going to be terrible. I don't think you can say does he have any drawing power or not because after being cast as Spidey he hasn't really been in any project that would test it, but I don't think it even matters and this is going to flop nevertheless.

What is the source of Tom pitching young Nathan Drake? Or Amy Pascal's involvement? I keep seeing some people talking about that but with no source.

The actual reason (at least the one that has a source) why they went with young Nathan Drake was because of Rothman who after seeing Homecoming had an idea to make the movie about young Drake.