kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

Didn't like this as much as I thought I would. Its decent enough but honestly my biggest problem is it lacks magic. There's nothing in the movie that really justifies its existence besides using the same themes as the first movie. The songs for example I pretty much forgot by the time I left the screening.

Will say there's one great scene with cartoon characters that actually wowed me. But everything else was just...there. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

6 minutes ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Didn't like this as much as I thought I would. Its decent enough but honestly my biggest problem is it lacks magic. There's nothing in the movie that really justifies its existence besides using the same themes as the first movie. The songs for example I pretty much forgot by the time I left the screening.

Will say there's one great scene with cartoon characters that actually wowed me. But everything else was just...there. 

Is it worth watching it just for the animated section? That is pretty much the biggest reason I want to watch the film. How long is it also?

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

One thing to mention is that Into the Woods (also by Rob Marshall) got similar critical reception and had horrible audience reception. This led to pretty average 3.5 multiplier. Maybe that could happen again but let's wait till audience reception I guess.

even the negative critics in general are saying the public probably will gonna love this movie... MPR has absolutely nothing to do with ITW except the same director and part of cast

• Like 1

5 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

Is it worth watching it just for the animated section? That is pretty much the biggest reason I want to watch the film. How long is it also?

That section was about ten minutes long and I'd say its worth it. Beautiful section for sure. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoxOfficeZ said:

Have you seen Bunblebee? 

For those of you who haven't seen A Star Is Born or Bohemian Rhapsody yet, I strongly suggest you watch them after seeing Shitty Poppins Returns. 

Shitty Poppins has some of the worst, most forgettable songs of any musical ever. Seriously, Lin Manuel Miranda sucks. It will make you appreciate the power and beauty of Queen's melodies 100X more. 

As for ASIB, it will seem like a timeless masterpiece in comparison. Lady Gaga is a modern day Meryl Streep meets Barbra Streisand compared to Blunt's nonfactor performance. Bradley Cooper will seem like the John Cassavetes of our time. 

I haven’t seen the original Mary Poppins, but am somewhat excited for the sequel even though most of Disney’s retelling are hot garbage. I plan to see the first one after finals before I watch Returns. For those who have saw, in terms of Disney remakes is it more of TJB/Cinderella/Pete’s Dragon where it’s good, or pure shit like BATB and the rest of them.

8 hours ago, lorddemaxus said:

One thing to mention is that Into the Woods (also by Rob Marshall) got similar critical reception and had horrible audience reception. This led to pretty average 3.5 multiplier. Maybe that could happen again but let's wait till audience reception I guess.

Into the Woods goes pretty dark towards the end. I highly doubt this does.

Edited by cookie
  • Like 1

The main problem with Into the Woods was trying to adapt two vastly different acts and meshing them into one movie. The first act for the stage show is pretty light, in order to contrast with the dark tone of the second act. It works on stage, since there's an intermission, but not so much in a movie.

This doesn't have that problem, so it'll probably do better with audiences.