kayumanggi

MARY POPPINS RETURNS | Disney | 12.19.18 | Rob Marshall directing | Emily Blunt, Lin Manuel Miranda

On 12/16/2018 at 12:40 AM, Telemachos said:

I’m not a giant MP fan (although of course somehow I’ve seen the original many, many times)

Hah, I know that feeling. When my older daughter was a toddler, she *LIVED* for the "Jolly Holiday" sequence in the original. We watched it so many times the DVD actually died which is the only time I've ever seen that happen.

Its been a while now, but by the end, it was like an academic study piece. Almost in spite of myself, I learned a ton about acting styles and scene transitions and what-not, just from watching those scenes over and over and over (literally hundreds of times). I really appreciate the film, but liking it or disliking it almost feels besides the point for me.

Edited by Wrath
  • Like 1

On 12/16/2018 at 12:40 AM, Telemachos said:

I’m not a giant MP fan (although of course somehow I’ve seen the original many, many times) but I thought this was a satisfying, entertaining sequel in spite of itself. It has all the flaws you’d expect from a Rob Marshall musical and a huge Disney, IP-generated sequel but it manages to transcend that.

Nothing truly amazing but unless you expect the Second Coming I think most people will be very entertained. 

This is important. we sometimes forget that people don't need masterpieces and perfection but solid entertainment, which is why it happens that many movies with lower RT/MC become bigger hits than movies with insane critical acclaim. Panned Venom and middling reviewed BR soared while over-praised Widows sunk, for example. 

• Like 1

I'm going to meet with my family next week for the holidays and I don't know whether I should take my mother and my sister to Mary Poppins or Spider-man. They aren't really superhero fans but they also don't like new American musicals a lot (they hated La La Land, which I watched during the holidays with my whole family during Christmas holidays two years ago, for being too cliche and ripping off from older musicals). My mother really wants to watch a "Disney movie" whatever the fuck that means.

Edited by lorddemaxus

5 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

I'm going to meet with my family next week for the holidays and I don't know whether I should take my mother and my sister to Mary Poppins or Spider-man. They aren't really superhero fans but they also don't like new American musicals a lot (they hated La La Land, which I watched during the holidays with my whole family during Christmas holidays two years ago, for being too cliche and ripping off from older musicals). My mother really wants to watch a "Disney movie" whatever the fuck that means.

Bumblebee will be your safe bet. 

8 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Take them to MARY POPPINS. It’s very old-school and feels very much like an old live-action Disney movie for the most part. 

26 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Disney movie means Mary Poppins...your mom knows they made the 1st, so it's can't lose for you in selecting it (even if she doesn't like it, you can tell her it's the only Disney movie this Christmas:)...

30 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Definitely sounds like you should take them Mary Poppins.

If your mom wants to see a Disney movie she’s saying she wants to see Mary Poppins

1 hour ago, lorddemaxus said:

You should definitely take them to Mary Poppins  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Telemachos said:

(My son is prone to hyberbole)

Shouldn't have had him reading this board over your shoulder when he was a toddler, Tele. :sadno:

You might have thought he was too young to understand anything, but it's clear he absorbed this board's character through osmosis. 

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Shouldn't have had him reading this board over your shoulder when he was a toddler, Tele. :sadno:

You might have thought he was too young to understand anything, but it's clear he absorbed this board's character through osmosis. 

We watched SOLO at home. When the big Maul reveal happened, he shrieked "ARE YOU KIDDING ME" and then made me pause the movie so he could show us his stunned expression (ie, Home Alone-style mouth wide open without the hands). Then he mock-passed out in surprise on the couch. Then he made me skip back so we could watch the reveal again. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 6
  • Astonished 1

11 minutes ago, Telemachos said:

We watched SOLO at home. When the big Maul reveal happened, he shrieked "ARE YOU KIDDING ME" and then made me pause the movie so he could show us his stunned expression (ie, Home Alone-style mouth wide open without the hands). Then he mock-passed out in surprise on the couch. Then he made me skip back so we could watch the reveal again. 

We've got a new Seymour Hoffman on our hands.

• Thanks 1