Fancyarcher

Cruella | Disney | May 28 2021 | Disney+ premiere access hybrid release

When the news of this first came out my reaction was very ButWhy.gif, particularly because humanising an attempted puppy-murderer seemed far-fetched. Someone who kills people? That's doable. Puppy killing is not so palatable. But I watched the clips they've been releasing out of morbid curiosity more than anything and I actually thought they kinda looked good? Then those reviews have come through and I'm like, hmmm. So idk, I might actually see this in theatres, but I'll see.

Speaking of which, Event Cinemas here actually have the tickets on sale which is a surprise since they waited until two days or so before Raya came out to put them up, which has led me to believe the chain are not happy with Disney and their premiere access and bypassing theatres with Soul and Mulan. We're a full ten days out from release so I feel like that's a decent improvement (although I'm not sure exactly when they went up since I haven't been checking). Of course I only care about this since I want to know when BW is going to go on sale, but it's interesting nonetheless.

• Like 1

Premiere at the El Capitan tonight. Pretty sure this is the first major movie premiere to occur since the lockdowns started?

Edited by filmlover
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, HouseOfTheSun said:

If this is as good as stated I think they made a mistake not releasing near Christmas. I think it coulda done really well in the holiday season. Guess they don’t want to interfere with Spider-Man though. 

Disney has 25% share in revenue of Spiderman maybe that's why

This opens on the same day as The Conjuring 3 here and a few days before A Quiet Place 2 so it might be a while before I get round to seeing it. 

Still cheaper for both of us to go to the cinema to see it properly, than it is on Disney+. 

4 hours ago, charlie Jatinder said:

really? there's hype? I will be thinking low-mid teens OW and whatever WOM tells legs.

Yeah, it is definitly not going that high. Maybe 16/21/55

Maybe it's me but all of the recent clips and such give the appearance that this film has more in common with The Devil Wears Prada than with any of the previous Dalmatians movies. I don't think that is what people are expecting from this movie.

Decided to take a peek at Critics Choice before the embargo went up:

Cruella 81/100

Given how the previous live-action remake things from Disney did, this is on the higher end? If I had to wager a guess, this will probably be fresh...

Film RT Critics MC CC RT Audience
Maleficent 54% (5.7) 56 73 70% (3.8)
Cinderella 83% (7.2) 67 84 78% (3.9)
The Jungle Book 94% (7.7) 77 88 86% (4.1)
Alice Through the Looking Glass 29% (4.5) 34 58 48% (3.2)
Beauty and the Beast 71% (6.7) 65 84 80% (4.0)
Christopher Robin 72% (6.2) 60 71 83% (4.1)
Dumbo 46% (5.5) 51 70 48% (3.2)
Aladdin 57% (5.9) 53 75 94% (4.6)
The Lion King 52% (6.0) 55 77 88% (4.4)
Maleficent: Mistress of Evil 39% (5.1) 43 63 95% (4.6)
Mulan 72% (6.7) 66 80 48% (3.0)

3 hours ago, Borobudur said:

Why haven't they lifted the embargo for this one? I thought the reactions are good?

Tomorrow

Disney has been lifting review embargos pretty late since pandemic. Mulan reviews drops the day before release, Cruella 2 data, Raya is the longest with 4 days.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ThomasNicole said:

Tomorrow

Disney has been lifting review embargos pretty late since pandemic. Mulan reviews drops the day before release, Cruella 2 data, Raya is the longest with 4 days.

Well, can't risk spoilers getting out, after all.

Obligatory:

Spoiler

fed-up-woman.gif

• Like 1

Nearly every time a critic says "not a fucking thought in its head" they're literally lying. Tenet, Army of the Dead, probably Cruella....all with a lot on their mind. 

Edited by tonytr87
  • Like 1

Visually the trailers we have seen have looked very good but the story outline and characters seem meh, I'll probably skip this and wait until it's free on Disney+ unless it gets great buzz or I hear from one of my friends that its worth it.

It being compared to Joker puts me off as well as I thought that movies was incredibly overrated personally. 

15 minutes ago, lorddemaxus said:

Nah, Gillespie is a genuine hack. 

He is super hit and miss for me.

I, Tonya and Million Dollar Arm I very much enjoyed, I would say maybe I only like his sports based movies but Mr. Woodcock disproves that theory...

8 minutes ago, ThomasNicole said:

Well he hate the director himself so i doubt this reaction should be taken very seriously

He gave both I Tonya and The Finest Hours (Gillespie's last two films) positive ratings, so it's not like he went in wanting to hate it lol. You do realise literally every critic has an opinion of almost every major director working today right? I guess we should dismiss all reviews.