kayumanggi

mother! | 09.15.17 | Paramount | Darren Aronofsky, Jennifer Lawrence | Razzie Awards frontrunner

1 hour ago, Joel M said:

Aronofsky is no stranger to controversy, he's not the guy critics usually fawn over. He has many fans but also a lot of detractors since requiem for a dream became a "notorious" movie at Cannes. Mother! is no different critical reception-wise than most of his movies.

Even that movie had a 78% RT rating. I enjoy his work for the most part. I'll see

this one eventually but probably not right away.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Harley said:

Part of me thinks Aronofsky is trolling critics. Like he intentionally made a crap movie, presents it as art and laughs as critics fall over themselves for it.

The idea that any filmmaker would do this is some tired bullshit and it will be a great day when it finally dies. 

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Jake Gittes said:

The idea that any filmmaker would do this is some tired bullshit and it will be a great day when it finally dies. 

Put millions and more than a year of hard work into something like that, while putting a really nice career at risk, would be a strange amount of dedication. 

Could make sense I imagine for something much more smaller and hard work than something like mother! and if they are making a documentary to be released about it after.

Harmony Korine, maybe ?

• Like 2

*It makes over $110 million on opening weekend.*

You know what? I think this may still be a fine surprise. Will It take away potential audience members? It's looking to be likely. Will this film be looked at as the next best horror film option when showings for It are sold out? To quite a few filmgoers, that will absolutely be the case.

Not that I'm seeing this in theaters myself. Not against the film, though- I just like sleeping at night.

4 minutes ago, Barnack said:

Harmony Korine, maybe ?

Trash Humpers is the only actually existing (somewhat well-known and infamous) movie I can think of where that whole "the emperor has no clothes", "he's just trolling us!", "what's next, filming 90 minutes of someone taking a shit and calling it art?" type of dismissive accusation even remotely makes sense. And even in that case Korine has explained his inspirations and ideas that went into it which seem understandable even if you find the results worthless. It's just such a useless, condescending cliché. 

1 hour ago, Harley said:

Even that movie had a 78% RT rating. I enjoy his work for the most part. I'll see

this one eventually but probably not right away.

Like many older movies a lot of Requiem's reviews in RT are from many years later when there's already a consensus formed. Initial reaction to it was much more divisive than that. But my point is that the critic consesus on most Aronofsky movies is good/great with a lot of vocal detractors that never bought what he's selling. He's not a huge critical darling that gets adored across the board like Linklater has been in the last few years or the Coens have for most of their career.

5 hours ago, Harley said:

Part of me thinks Aronofsky is trolling critics. Like he intentionally made a crap movie, presents it as art and laughs as critics fall over themselves for it.

2 hours ago, Jake Gittes said:

1 hour ago, Jake Gittes said:

Trash Humpers is the only actually existing (somewhat well-known and infamous) movie I can think of where that whole "the emperor has no clothes", "he's just trolling us!", "what's next, filming 90 minutes of someone taking a shit and calling it art?" type of dismissive accusation even remotely makes sense. And even in that case Korine has explained his inspirations and ideas that went into it which seem understandable even if you find the results worthless. It's just such a useless, condescending cliché. 

I_m_Still_Here.jpg

I thought about that one, but with interviews about it, I think they wanted to possibly make a nice piece of art from that project, the trolling was not the movie itself but the created persona.  But yes, that an example of someone could be trying some experiment, but again it would be with something easier to do like that movie.

An actual script written and actual hard to do production... would be really impressive commitment.

19 minutes ago, AndyK said:

The RT scores are odd.

81% with an average rating of 8.2.

Top critics have an average rating of 9.5/10 and 71%

Yes, I think that is a combinaison of still a small number of critics and that RT use every entry in the RT % score and only use the reviews that give a clear score (on 4, 5, 10, etc...) to calculate the average score, so when the sample size is low, if those with positive review gave more often a score to their review than those you didn't like the movie or vice versa, the number can be odd.

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

The RT scores are odd.

Only 7 top critics counted so far.  Only two of which gave grades (A- and 5/5).  Neither of the negative reviews are graded.  Hence 9.5 avg.

Overall, only half of the 26 reviews are graded

1 hour ago, AndyK said:

The RT scores are odd.

four or five good ones aren't in yet.  Of course there are probably bad ones that aren't in yet, either. It will all shake out in a week.