Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

Logan wasn't the best CBM this year because it was.. humorless. It was the best because it had the best story and every actor and actress knocked it out of the park. It might have been a cash grab but it didn't feel like one. It didn't feel like I was being sold toys and other shit.  I was being sold on the story and the acting performances.  Imagine that.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Johnny Tran said:

Logan wasn't the best CBM this year because it was.. humorless. It was the best because it had the best story and every actor and actress knocked it out of the park. It might have been a cash grab but it didn't feel like one. It didn't feel like I was being sold toys and other shit.  I was being sold on the story and the acting performances.  Imagine that.   

Opinion. IMO, story was generic, acting performances were good but nothing extra-ordinary. 

Good movie but not even close to dark knight trilogy.

IMO.

Logan was great BECAUSE of the tone, which was illustrated by graphic violence, swearing, scruffy hair and beard, dust, grit and crimson sunsets.

It s 75% of the movie IMO.

That s what set the movie apart, not its paint by numbers story with lame and confusing myhtology elements.

On 5/13/2017 at 2:29 PM, Sam said:

Lego Batman: C+

Logan: A-

GOTG2: B- 

1 out of 3. Not that good overall so far really.

But you're right, Ego got nothing on Hammer that's for sure. 

Something about this is definetly not scanning right.

On 2017-5-14 at 5:19 AM, Johnny Tran said:

Spoiler

Logan has one amazing first act and a terrific second act. But it shares a similar fate to The Wolverine: third act is all kinds of meh. Yay Wolverine dies. But everything after the other kids show up is terrible imho.

Logan ISN'T the best superhero film of the year, neither it's anywhere close to the brilliance that was TDK. Vol. 2 is the best superhero film so far, and I feel history will be kinder with this film than Logan. Now that the fever is gone, you can already see people pointing out the exact same flaws a very few were pointing out since release date. The reverse is happening with Vol. 2. Don't get me wrong, thank you Hugh Jackman for everything but Oscar worthy film? Bwahahahahaha.

Edited by iJackSparrow
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, iJackSparrow said:

Logan has one amazing first act and a terrific second act. But it shares a similar fate to The Wolverine: third act is all kinds of meh. Yay Wolverine dies. But everything after the other kids show up is terrible imho. Logan ISN'T the best superhero film of the year, neither it's anywhere close to the brilliance that was TDK. Vol. 2 is the best superhero film so far, and I feel history will be kinder with this film than Logan. Now that the fever is gone, you can already see people pointing out the exact same flaws a very few were pointing out since release date. The reverse is happening with Vol. 2. Don't get me wrong, thank you Hugh Jackman for everything but Oscar worthy film? Bwahahahahaha.

I agree!

Logan was not even the best x-men film, let alone best cbm.

That third act, brought it down. 

Logan is a masterpiece. GOTGv2 is real fun and I loved it as well but it's a couple of notches below Logan which is fine since Logan is one of the best movies I've ever seen.

Obviously this is just my own opinion.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, iJackSparrow said:

Logan has one amazing first act and a terrific second act. But it shares a similar fate to The Wolverine: third act is all kinds of meh. Yay Wolverine dies. But everything after the other kids show up is terrible imho. Logan ISN'T the best superhero film of the year, neither it's anywhere close to the brilliance that was TDK. Vol. 2 is the best superhero film so far, and I feel history will be kinder with this film than Logan. Now that the fever is gone, you can already see people pointing out the exact same flaws a very few were pointing out since release date. The reverse is happening with Vol. 2. Don't get me wrong, thank you Hugh Jackman for everything but Oscar worthy film? Bwahahahahaha.

Still more Oscar worthy than any MCU joint.

Logan is a basic film for basic people, just like me.

That s why I thought it was fantastic.

What it does, it does it well, but it s so simple it boggles the mind, no ambition whatsover, everything is over-simplified to the lowest commond denominator (westerns were the opium of the people for decades) with story tropes you ve seen hundreds of times before :

Spoiler

road trip , evil militarized  goons seek their lost biological weapons led by evil scientist , father-daughter relationship created by adversity.

Guardians Vol 2 is for the educated, ambitious and refined gentlemen of this world.

The incredible word building (planets, spaceships, sets,alien races, weaponry and gadgets, Ego !!! etc etc) the grand story with dozens of moving pieces moving on the chessboard, a heart bigger than a living planet, never seen before visuals that are moving paintings (loved how the movie was a companion to Doctor Strange with the visuals), the latest technology in terms of VFX technology, the unexpected twist, the witty writing and banter, the epic scope of the spectacle bigger than the latest two Star Wars ( Rogue One last act is on par tho),  etc etc 

Difficult to grasp this monumental achievement with one viewing.

That s why I needed 2.

The rewards are fantastic tho.

If you manage to make me teary eye with a talking tree, a racoon, a female green alien and Ego in a weird colorful world full of A-Holes, you ve pulled off the impossible and you re an arist of the highest order capable of painting broad canevas using all the palette of storytelling.

Spoiler

Killing off

an adored 17 year old character played by one of the most charismatic actor of the last 20 years you ve seen in 7 films before is not very difficult to do, it requires a competent craftsman, a guy like James Mangold.

But I digress, Logan can say Fuck and there are tons of CGI blood splatters and ya know, it s not really a superhero movie, it s a gritty western, it s SO creative : MASTERPIECE !!!

Edited by The Futurist
  • Like 4

Deadpool tells a story of a cancer survivor with very strong 1st, 2nd and 3rd acts. It has several layers and I know that it gets a bad rep from some people here like @The Futurist that I really respect their opinions, but it's a deeper film than Logan. Logan has a strong ressonance with the audience because we really care about Hugh Jackman's Wolverine.

Spoiler

We CARE about him dying because we grew up and got old with him being Wolverine. But with all honesty, Logan doesn't have a third act that much stronger than let's say BvS. The difference is that we CARE about Jackman's Logan unlike we were never able to really care about Cavill's Superman. His death hits because regardless some bumps down the road with the X-Men films, we learned to love Jackman's Logan. 

MCU films that are more Oscar worthy for its accolades than Logan: The Avengers, Captain America: The Winter Soldier, Guardians of the Galaxy, Captain America: Civil War and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. Do I expect Vol. 2 to get a nomination? Hell no. Like Logan, regardless how amazing the film truly is, it's not as strong as Deadpool. Why? It's too dependent on the first film to hit the audience. It's a film that stands on its own, but relies on the brilliance of the first film. I sincerely doubt that even The Last Jedi will be better than Vol. 2 this year, when it comes to space opera. But that doesn't mean that it should get a nomination either. 

Edited by iJackSparrow

On 5/14/2017 at 6:26 AM, 4815162342 said:

Why am I left out of Hammer time....

Image result for sad walk gif

I'm sorry. 

But you, me and Pink; we will always have the deep bond of being the devoted original Hammer brigade. These bandwagoners can't compare to you. 

• Like 1