Dementeleus

Fanboy Wars Thread: Personal Attacks not allowed | With Digital Fur Technology

52 minutes ago, LordNox said:

I used to think that DC would win over Marvel next year at the box office. But i now think that Marvel movies are so popular that pretty much every Marvel movie will do more than every DC movie. Even Black Widow will probably crush Wonder Woman at the box office.

Sad state of affairs, but WB is killing all popularity of DC characters while Disney does everything right regarding Marvel.

Considering Aquaman made $1.1bn, I think it's a huge exaggeration to say WB is killing DC. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Do people really think the Snyder Cut would have done significantly better than JL at the box office? 

Hard to think how it could have done worse.

On 4/29/2019 at 1:10 PM, JB33 said:

Sarcasm? Batman requires someone bigger and way more gritty than a pretty boy actor.

I've not seen Robert Pattinson in anything for years now. I'm not addressing his acting here.

I'd just like to point out that variations of this comment "more gritty than pretty boy actor" were hurled at Heath Ledger.

The gasps that 10 Things I Hate About You drama teen angst actor was going to be THE JOKER did not go over well. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Captain Craig said:

I've not seen Robert Pattinson in anything for years now. I'm not addressing his acting here.

I'd just like to point out that variations of this comment "more gritty than pretty boy actor" were hurled at Heath Ledger.

The gasps that 10 Things I Hate About You drama teen angst actor was going to be THE JOKER did not go over well. 

There was more than a bit of thinly-veiled homophobia on online forums as well, complaining about how he was going to make The Joker "all Brokeback" and similar.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LordNox said:

I used to think that DC would win over Marvel next year at the box office. But i now think that Marvel movies are so popular that pretty much every Marvel movie will do more than every DC movie. Even Black Widow will probably crush Wonder Woman at the box office.

Sad state of affairs, but WB is killing all popularity of DC characters while Disney does everything right regarding Marvel.

Wonder Woman beat Thor 3 and the much anticipated Guardian of the Galaxy 2 domestically 2 years ago. Let's not get too crazy though I agree what you're saying in terms of worldwide. Marvel worldwide is unbeatable but if DC can earn back its audience who knows? NO ONE expected 1.1 billion from Aquaman. 

Edited by jaybox

5 hours ago, Darth Lehnsherr said:

Do people really think the Snyder Cut would have done significantly better than JL at the box office? 

Maybe legs would've been better if the film was more coherent? Wouldn't have helped the OW unless the Snyder Cut also travelled back in time to make BvS not suck.

3 hours ago, AndyK said:

Hard to think how it could have done worse.

Maybe if Wonder Woman had a bad to mediocre audience reception. Obviously JL didn't get a big boost, but I wouldn't be surprised if in a timeline with a bad WW, JL opened below 90m.

1 hour ago, WittyUsername said:

Can we please stop pretending that Batman is enough to sell a movie? 

I too remember how Batman and Robin killed the idea of Batman movies forever and that the character couldn't recover from it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

53 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I too remember how Batman and Robin killed the idea of Batman movies forever and that the character couldn't recover from it.

Gonna be serious for a bit.

As folks probably know, I hate posting in thread. But I got OPINIONS on this.

Number One: NO MORE ORIGIN STORIES FOR BATMAN.

We don't need to see Batman's parents die for the umpeenth time.  We don't need to know why a guy decides to run around dressed as a bat.  Just completely unnecessary.  That is the sort of story that can wait a decade or longer before being told again.

Number Two: MORE BAT FAMILY PLEASE.

There is sooooooooo much untapped potential there with the extended group of folks surrounding Batman.  I get that Batman and Robin was, well, Batman and Robin.  But a good Robin Origin tale could freakin' clean up.  Or really any sort of tale surrounding Nightwing, Batman and Robin #2 and all the dynamics at play there. 

And that's not even getting to characters like Barbara Gordon.

Characters in Batman comics are iconic for a reason.  Just take one look at Harley Quinn and how she catapulted to fame off the back of Batman: The Animated Series.  There are just soooooo many great movies to be made here that it's a crime that folks think Batman as a character needs a rest.

NUMBER THREE:  DARE TO LIVE A LITTLE WHEN IT COMES TO THE ROGUES GALLERY.

One of the great things about Batman Begins is that it dipped into the waters and used Ra's al Ghul as the main baddie.  Be similarly daring and don't be afraid to wade a little deeper into Batman lore to find an interesting villain. 

====

IMO, it's not that folks are tired of Batman. It's just that they don't necessarily need to see the same story told over and over again.  Along with, perhaps, a dash of not particularly liking a certain someone's take on the character.  Even Batman Begins took a slightly different take on the origin story by actually looking at Batman when he was first starting out.  

Now I haven't followed much of the story on the latest iteration of Batman when it comes to the upcoming movie, so I have no idea what's going on it.  But to me, I think the appetite for a good to great take for Batman is clearly out there.  Those initial numbers for BvS didn't come from nowhere after all. 

Just don't waste our time re-treading old ground before getting to the interesting stuff.

• Like 8

7 minutes ago, Porthos said:

Gonna be serious for a bit.

As folks probably know, I hate posting in thread. But I got OPINIONS on this.

Number One: NO MORE ORIGIN STORIES FOR BATMAN.

We don't need to see Batman's parents die for the umpeenth time.  We don't need to know why a guy decides to run around dressed as a bat.  Just completely unnecessary.  That is the sort of story that can wait a decade or longer before being told again.

Number Two: MORE BAT FAMILY PLEASE.

There is sooooooooo much untapped potential there with the extended group of folks surrounding Batman.  I get that Batman and Robin was, well, Batman and Robin.  But a good Robin Origin tale could freakin' clean up.  Or really any sort of tale surrounding Nightwing, Batman and Robin #2 and all the dynamics at play there. 

And that's not even getting to characters like Barbara Gordon.

Characters in Batman comics are iconic for a reason.  Just take one look at Harley Quinn and how she catapulted to fame off the back of Batman: The Animated Series.  There are just soooooo many great movies to be made here that it's a crime that folks think Batman as a character needs a rest.

NUMBER THREE:  DARE TO LIVE A LITTLE WHEN IT COMES TO THE ROGUES GALLERY.

One of the great things about Batman Begins is that it dipped into the waters and used Ra's al Ghul as the main baddie.  Be similarly daring and don't be afraid to wade a little deeper into Batman lore to find an interesting villain. 

====

IMO, it's not that folks are tired of Batman. It's just that they don't necessarily need to see the same story told over and over again.  Along with, perhaps, a dash of not particularly liking a certain someone's take on the character.  Even Batman Begins took a slightly different take on the origin story by actually looking at Batman when he was first starting out.  

Now I haven't followed much of the story on the latest iteration of Batman when it comes to the upcoming movie, so I have no idea what's going on it.  But to me, I think the appetite for a good to great take for Batman is clearly out there.  Those initial numbers for BvS didn't come from nowhere after all. 

Just don't waste our time re-treading old ground before getting to the interesting stuff.

Billy-D_Approves.gif

• Thanks 1

Ugh, fine @Porthos.  I will post this here, too.

Listen, listen.  Dick Grayson is the HEART and SOUL of the DC Universe.

Golden Age (First Generation):

He was the first sidekick.  Wonder Woman, Superman, and Batman are his MENTORS.

Silver Age (Second Generation):

As the first sidekick, he is the LEADER of the Siver Age Heroes and the Teen Titans.

Brozen Age (Third Generation):

As the leader of the Titans, he's now become THE MENTOR to Tim, Damien, and the other Bronze Age superheroes of Young Justice.

It ALL LEADS BACK TO DICK GRAYSON.

But because his name is Dick, and he's every fangirl and queer fanperson's FAVORITE, and known just for much as being a hero as a having a great ass, the Idiots running the WB seems to HATE HIM.  

And your universe does not work without him!!!  BATMAN doesn't work without him!!!!  

This is literally the only Batman Trilogy I want going Forward:

Movie One: Based on Jeph Loeb and Tim Sale's Dark Victory: Bruce Adopts Dick and Trains Young Robin

Movie Two: Based on Judas Contract: Dick Quits being Robin and Becomes Nightwing

Movie Three: Based on Knightfall/Battle for the Cowl: Bruce had his back broken by Bane, now Dick has to Figure out if he wants to Accept or Reject the Mantle of Batman.

That, and like a Ivy & Harley Are Lesbians Movie.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Porthos said:

I’ve said it before, but I really don’t think the OW numbers for BvS were that impressive. The movie just barely made $166 million on OW, which is only slightly more than what the Nolan Batman movies made, and those movies didn’t benefit from 3D tickets or early Thursday “preview” screenings. It pains me to say it, since I had spent nearly three years of my life anxiously anticipating the film, but the hype for BvS was never on the level of pretty much any of the Avengers movies, and Batman’s popularity has clearly dropped since then. 

I’m not saying that Batman can’t make a comeback, but as of right now, I see no reason to assume that the property is still the juggernaut it was 10 years ago. The character has been completely upstaged by the MCU. That’s just a simple fact. 

8 minutes ago, WittyUsername said:

I’ve said it before, but I really don’t think the OW numbers for BvS were that impressive. The movie just barely made $166 million on OW

That's because it started to crash within the OW.  WOM was already spreading from previews and Fri showings.  The initial OW estimate was 170+m, after all.

Also, gotta remember at the time that was the seventh largest OW ever.  Not exactly chump change.

I think 166M is impressive for a toxic movie coming off a less than thrilling Superman movie.  It basically did it on Name Only.  I remember dragging my ass to Discount Tuesday ONLY because of Wonder Woman.

And to hop back to @Porthos, I think WB -- and any new director they hire -- need to realize all of these characters have different personalities.  Their movies shouldn't all feel the same.  If you attempt to make everyone a brooding, isolated jackass, it doesn't WORK.  That is not who Dick Grayson, or Tim Drake, or Clark Kent, or Diana are!

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Porthos said:

That's because it started to crash within the OW.  WOM was already spreading from previews and Fri showings.  The initial OW estimate was 170+m, after all.

Also, gotta remember at the time that was the seventh largest OW ever.  Not exactly chump change.

source.gif

There's a ton of Batman villains that haven't been given the live action treatment. Joker's cool and all but I think a movie with say Hugo Strange or Mad Hatter would be interesting although saying that I would love to see a new interpretation of The Riddler. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1