AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

54 minutes ago, Goffe said:

I find it kinda funny that me, a guy who had a picture of Rey in his avatar (which he never changes) for one week and praised Daisy charismatic presence, is now a misogynist.

I didn't have any problem with Rey beating Kylo at the end. Kylo was injured and psychologically unstable, and the Force, a magical power, helped Rey, like it helped others before in the past 6 movies. It made sense.

What made Rey problematic was everything before it. She can do everything flawlessly; she has a thin personality, even though Daisy injects some life into her; and her "conflict", which lasts a couple minutes, is a non-issue whatsoever. The movie just doesn't do a good job in showing why I should care for what she going through, it appeals to my apathetic sensibilities.

The problems with the Rey character are emblematic of the film's big-picture issue. JJ seems unwilling or unable to do anything interesting with the material. It's Star Wars: Greatest Hits and she's Jedi: Greatest Hits

Ridley's great and the character's well-positioned to experience some real conflict in the next one. But the Rey material in this does feel more like buildup than meat. Her entire arc in this movie is basically "Wait here for Luke. No, on second thought, go find him yourself." It's a problem with how the character's used, not how she's sketched

That said, the "she's a Mary Sue" and "she's too powerful" and "why is she so good at everything" stuff does strike me as misogynistic. Not accusing you of saying any of that, just saying that it's out there

• Like 3

I almost put a spoiler in the daily box office thread when I wanted to assert that Rogue One is an attempt to expand the Chinese market for ep 8 and Han Solo spinoff is an attempt to satisfy longing after his absence in ep 8. :blink: 

Edited by Ajipon
missing one word

If any ones interested in a little more back story involving the Republic, Resistance and First Order, check out the TFA visual dictionary book. 

As an example:

Hosnian Prime is the main planet destroyed by the FO. It's important because that is where the Galactic Senate is currently located. The book says that the location of the Senate now rotates from one member world to the next for an unspecified period of time. 

The Resistance was created by Leia as a small private force to keep tabs on the First Order. The Republic sort of tolerates the Resistance but doesn't want to get directly involved because it doesn't want to start another full on galactic war. 

I'd also like to point out the almost nothing was explained in ANH how the Empire came about. How did the Emporor manage to take control of the Senate and rename it the Galactic Empire? How did the rebellion get started and who started it? Nobody watching that movie in 1977 had any fucking clue; and it didn't matter!

That stuff doesn't bother me in the slightest, and it clearly isn't bother too many others based on the box office numbers. 

I do think Rey's storyline was too much of a cliffhanger here. I think if they did simply confirm more of her background, people wouldn't have had a problem as much. ANH was a standalone story so it told you all you needed to know like Luke's father was a Jedi and a great pilot, hence you're okay believing that Luke is suddenly able to fly a ship he's never seen before and can use the Force to hit an impossible target. 

Rey's whole backstory is not confirmed at this point and a lot of the stuff in her life on Jakku isn't verbalized in the film but rather it's in these side books like the art dictionary, novelization, etc. (like how she has a flight simulator, how she's worked on the Falcon for her boss)  so you are left a little hanging there. 

Edited by moviesRus

Just now, moviesRus said:

I do think Rey's storyline was too much of a cliffhanger here. I think if they did simply confirm more of her background, people wouldn't have had a problem as much. ANH was a standalone story so it told you all you needed to know like Luke's father was a Jedi and a great pilot, hence you're okay believing that Luke is suddenly able to fly a ship he's never seen before and can use the Force to hit an impossible target. 

Rey's whole backstory is not confirmed at this point and a lot of the stuff in her life on Jakku isn't verbalized in the film but rather it's in these side books like the art dictionary, novelization, etc. (like how she has a flight simulator, how she's worked on the Falcon for her boss)  so you are left a little hanging there. 

Interesting, I should get the novel version to see more insight into her life to give more hints about her and speculate who she is exactly.

1 hour ago, Harpospoke said:

Wow....he had a pretty tiny part in that movie too.

He was the biggest actor on the set, and the only way they were going to be able to get Brando was by giving him top billing, and having have the biggest paycheck out of the actors. Same with Jack Nicholson getting top billing in all of the Batman promotion, though in that case Keaton still got top billing during the credits.

There are plenty of other examples like that. Too many to name in fact.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moviesRus said:

I got the sense that she had experience working on the Falcon the first time I saw it. 

Shes lived their for years and Platt has had the Falcon for quite a while. She tells Finn that it hasn't flown for years. She also knows that Platt has done work on the Falcons electronics and engine as she tells Han when they're taking off from the freighter. Not sure why, based on the dialogue, it's so hard to figure out that she has a history with the ship. 

Its just not being bashed over your head. It's inferred in a few lines of dialogue. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Here we go again for the 2983057th time.

Ren himself was not fully trained.

Ren was seriously injured.

Ren was a current emotional/mental basket case.

Ren was holding back.

Ren possessed an innate fear of Rey that caused him to slip up and crumble when she began Full Force Mode.

Ren will not have any of those disadvantages the next time they face off.

Here we go again? It's a perfect complaint about the movie. Even if there was an explanation, which there is not, a villain is supposed to look strong until the end. Rey should've lost the fight, we're supposed to anticipate her growth, not Rens. Ren not fully trained? Rey just picked up a lightsaber for crying out loud. He was trained by Luke and his master. If we're not supposed to believe he's strong, why the hell is he leading a fleet of stormtroopers. No way he should've lost to someone who picked up a lightsaber for the first time. It's bad writing no matter how you cut it. Fans always make an excuse for this. Kylo is just a crap villain, couldn't take him serious anymore after he took off the mask. Speaking of which, the unmasking was way too casual and he looks like David Schwimmer from FRIENDS. Terrible villain. 

Edited by Sagemode87

I can't believe some of you can't comprehend that there is more to Rey than what they show.

I can't believe you want the whole story told to you in paint by numbers

I can't believe you don't get that they give you plenty of hints in the movie that she was trained as a Jedi before.

I can't believe some of you come off as being so weak minded.

It's brilliant writing.  Maybe it just went over your head sagemodel.  Did Kathleen Kennedy screw your dad and split up your family?

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

lI can't believe some of you can't comprehend that there is more to Rey than what they show.

I can't believe you want the whole story told to you in paint by numbers

I can't believe you don't get that they give you plenty of hints in the movie that she was trained as a Jedi before.

I can't believe some of you come off as being so weak minded.

It's brilliant writing.  Maybe it just went over your head sagemodel.  Did Kathleen Kennedy screw your dad and split up your family?

Look, it was a good movie, but it had flaws. Just because I don't make excuses for bad writing doesn't mean I'm hating. Kylo is overexposed at this point and he's uninteresting unless major changes come his way. 

13 minutes ago, Sagemode87 said:

Look, it was a good movie, but it had flaws. Just because I don't make excuses for bad writing doesn't mean I'm hating. Kylo is overexposed at this point and he's uninteresting unless major changes come his way. 

Basically what you want is Darth Vader v.2, stronger than Darth Vader the original. I'm going to make a wild guess and say that you like Dragon Ball - the ever escalating villains, and the ever escalating action sequence thrills you. It's fine that you like it (and many do), but that was my biggest fear going in the movie. If anything, I find Starkiller base to be the weakest part of the movie. Kylo Ren is way more interesting for me because he's flawed and insecure. Now we got a chance to see him grow, together with the protagonist. 

Speaking of ever escalating villains, that is the biggest problem with all kinds of superhero stories with a long arc. Just like Dragon Ball, any other heroes with supernatural powers suffer the same narrative problem like Superman, or Marvel Universe (I read somewhere that in Marvel Universe, they finally are up against practically God with the gauntlet thing?). Batman is somewhat better since he's just human and the villains have more variations in their methods. 

And remember, Luke destroyed the Death Star without the aid of the computer on a fighter plane he was flying the first time.