AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

I just posted this in the other thread but I can't give the spoiler away tehre so I am finishing it up here :P  

well just getting home from my fourth viewing at an 11:20 am showing, and it was basically sold out. It seems to get better every time I see it and the fifth time is already set for Saturday in IMAX. This is probably the best crowd I had so far, even down to the applause at the end. I still laugh when this  showing this one lady yelled "no way" when Snoke announced that Kylo was Han's son. It was pretty funny.

Edited by 75live
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Chewy said:

Btw is Mark Hamill the first actor in the history of the universe to get 2nd billing for a 15 second cameo?

he might be, although I know he isn't the first to be well paid for basically a cameo.  James Caan was the highest paid person in Godfather part II and he was only in that end scene for a few minutes.

2 hours ago, grey ghost said:

I doubt Kylo Ren is the biggest threat in the sequel trilogy.

He came off as a bad ass early in the movie but then was shown to be scared and confused kid.

Maybe they upgrade his skill level or his boss gets involved personally.

I'm sure he'll level up a few times between now and then. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 4815162342 said:

Here we go again for the 2983057th time.

Ren himself was not fully trained.

Ren was seriously injured.

Ren was a current emotional/mental basket case.

Ren was holding back.

Ren possessed an innate fear of Rey that caused him to slip up and crumble when she began Full Force Mode.

Ren will not have any of those disadvantages the next time they face off.

55 minutes ago, Chewy said:

"Man I love Batman what a rad character. Got a gadget for everything."

"Why is Rey such a Mary Sue?"

"You see Civil War? Black Panther's dope man, he can outthink ya and outmuscle ya."

"Ayyyyy, loved how James Bond flipped the script on the villain again."

I love you two. Not this making me get attracted to you two though.

But bless you all for fighting the good fight.

tumblr_msb6twkY6H1rk0jjfo1_250.gif

3 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:

Rey's poor characterization? What are you smoking? :lol: 

apparently not the same stuff as you :P

you shouldn't get too upset, in another discussion I was having about this I compared Rey to Furiosa, an actually well written (female) character.

Edited by Goffe
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I'm one of the misogynists who who suggested Rey might be a little too good at absolutely everything on the Review thread, and I stand by it. If it's course correction for Hollywood's woeful track record with female protagonists in blockbusters, then so be it I suppose.

I find it kinda funny that me, a guy who had a picture of Rey in his avatar (which he never changes) for one week and praised Daisy charismatic presence, is now a misogynist.

I didn't have any problem with Rey beating Kylo at the end. Kylo was injured and psychologically unstable, and the Force, a magical power, helped Rey, like it helped others before in the past 6 movies. It made sense.

What made Rey problematic was everything before it. She is great at everything and has thin personality, even though Daisy is able to inject some life into her. Her conflict, which lasts just a couple minutes, a total non-issue for me, the movie just doesn't do a good job in making me care for what she is going through, appealing to my apathetic sensibilities.

Edited by Goffe

Finally had the time to see it again (saw it first time opening night).

Overwhelmingly good! :) JJ has outdone himself (and almost everyone).

There's actually not a single thing I don't like. Some of my favourites:

+ Rey is a honey-bunny, and she DOES indeed have a nice piece of ass - checked it out in her final mission

+ Finn is unbelievably good character - for a SW movie (feels like I wrote it ;) )

+ most of the first 30 min on Jakku are cinema perfection

+ in the aerial battles there are at least (half) a dozen SPECTACULAR 3D shots/sequences - never seen anything like it till now (finally someone did it right!!)

+ another (half) a dozen breathtakingly beautiful vistas/landscapes (most on Jakku though) - one of my most cherished sights in a fantasy movie

+ at least 20 laugh out loud moments - no such movie can beat that!!

10/10 (JJ, don't leave us!!)

Seeing it again at least three of four more times... B) (total of 6+)

• Like 5

10 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

+ Rey is a honey-bunny, and she DOES indeed have a nice piece of ass - checked it out in her final mission

+ Finn is unbelievably good character - for a SW movie (feels like I wrote it ;) )

+ in the aerial battles there are at least (half) a dozen SPECTACULAR 3D shots/sequences - never seen anything like it till now (finally someone did it right!!)

+ another (half) a dozen breathtakingly beautiful vistas/landscapes (most on Jakku though) - one of my most cherished sights in a fantasy movie

Only 6 times? Isn't that low on the Shaymeter?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, eddyxx said:
2 hours ago, shayhiri said:

Only 6 times? Isn't that low on the Shaymeter?

No!!

The Shay has to run a successful international publishing business now, so the 18 months of unlimited cinema in Dublin (3-4 movies EACH day!!) are but a memory, fading in the pink haze of dreams.

6+ times is actually the roof now (only Max got 8).

Edited by shayhiri
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

Truly a beautiful movie.

8 hours ago, Charism said:

Pissing. He was pissing to the ocean. That's why he took so much time to turn around.

A certain scene in The Big Lebowski makes me think that's a very bad idea.

5 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I'm one of the misogynists who who suggested Rey might be a little too good at absolutely everything on the Review thread, and I stand by it. If it's course correction for Hollywood's woeful track record with female protagonists in blockbusters, then so be it I suppose.

Me too.   But my second viewing cleared all that up.   She's a badass when we meet her for one thing, and Ren is at a big disadvantage for another.

She's really got nothing on countless other characters who are perfect at everything.   I notice that Clint Eastwood never misses a shot in the Spaghetti Westerns.

4 hours ago, Hatebox said:

I never saw Luke as flawless, certainly not in A New Hope at least. I perceived his sulking personality as deliberate, and his and Han's rescue of Leia was almost farcical. In fact the only time in that movie he transcends his Everyman status is when he blows up the Death Star using the Force.

I think he did that when he told Obi-Wan he wanted to leave with him and learn the ways of the Force.   An Everyman would have just stayed on his homeworld.

4 hours ago, grey ghost said:

Rey is a force prodigy.

Kylo was terrified of her power.

Also, unlike Luke, she believed in the force from the get go.

People say they want something different from ANH but when it's different they complain that Rey's learning curve should be closer to Luke's.

And no one seems to see that she's far beyond what Luke was in ANH.   She would seriously beat the crap out of him and it would not be close.    Her life journey was filled with struggle and honed her survival and fighting instincts to a level far far above where Luke was at when we met him.   The two characters are NOT comparable.

3 hours ago, 4815162342 said:

Here we go again for the 2983057th time.

Ren himself was not fully trained.

Ren was seriously injured.

Ren was a current emotional/mental basket case.

Ren was holding back.

Ren possessed an innate fear of Rey that caused him to slip up and crumble when she began Full Force Mode.

Ren will not have any of those disadvantages the next time they face off.

Thank you.   I would think all those things would be more apparent than they seem to be to the critics.    And that's not even factoring in Rey's obvious fighting skills.   Comparing her to Luke from ANH is really not valid.

2 hours ago, Chewy said:

Btw is Mark Hamill the first actor in the history of the universe to get 2nd billing for a 15 second cameo?

Good question.   Where was Marlon Brando billed in Superman 1?

20 minutes ago, shayhiri said:

After my first viewing I gave it a 8.5/10 and had it just under the 3 OT movies. After watching it a second time I've moved up my score a bit to 8.9/10. 

ESB - 9.9/10(I don't think ANY movie is 100% perfect)

ANH - 9.5/10

ROTJ - 9.1/10

TFA - 8.9/10

ROTS - 8/10

AOTC - 7/10

TPM - 6.8/10