AndyLL

***SPOILERS*** The Force Awakens Spoiler Thread ***SPOILERS ALLOWED*** You have been warned! DO NOT ENTER if you don't want to be spoiled

1 hour ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

And at the top of those stairs stands this Man, staring off at the ocean smoking a peace pipe:

w4xalikhxwwc4tcrnzor.jpg

Pissing. He was pissing to the ocean. That's why he took so much time to turn around.

• Like 1

Saw this again with the wife and kids and actually enjoyed it a lot more than the first time. I still rank it below ESB and ANH but it's definitely better than ROTJ and the (still underrated) prequels. Most of my problems (the rehashed plot, way too many setups for the sequels) didn't seem as important this time and I just focused on how awesome the characters are. It's actually quite clever how JJ and Kasdan wrote the new characters as if they know they're in a SW movie. It's almost meta the way they react to being in that galaxy and discovering the Force is real but it works for reintroducing the audience to that world.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Obi-Wan Telemachos said:
HzngRqq505EAAAAASUVORK5CYII= KenTremendous
"She's too good at too many things too quickly!" - Misogynistic dudes talking about Rey if TFA had begun with 6 hours showing her training
12/23/15, 5:12 PM

"He's too good at too many things too quickly!" - Something those dudes never said, or even thought to say, about Luke
12/23/15, 5:13 PM

In Episode IV, 26 minutes elapse from when Luke hears about the Force for the first time and when he uses it. Most of that not his story.
12/23/15, 5:17 PM

Also, then he blows up the Death Star, by using the Force, while flying a spaceship he has never seen until like one minute earlier.
12/23/15, 5:18 PM

Rey is straight-up a better character than Luke, and the role is far better acted, and complaining about her abilities is garbage.
12/23/15, 5:19 PM

Jedi have abilities. It's the deal with Jedi. She's a Jedi. The movie explains both her terrestrial and Force-based abilities quite well.
12/23/15, 5:20 PM

HzngRqq505EAAAAASUVORK5CYII=

KenTremendous
My larger point here, I guess, is that IV-VI were so visionary and ground-breaking that we forgive them their (many) flaws. (1/)
12/23/15, 6:12 PM

The characters in IV-VI are thin and speak subtext constantly. "Take care of yourself, Han. I guess that's what you're best at!" (2/)
12/23/15, 6:13 PM

KenTremendous
And now we've had 30 years to examine and ponder and make excuses for them. Which they deserve, because they're great. (3/)
12/23/15, 6:14 PM

But you can't argue that Luke is some amazing 3-dimensional fully-fleshed out character after IV. Because he really isn't. (4/)
12/23/15, 6:14 PM

And I've certainly never heard anyone -- in the 9000 conversations I've had about IV -- say that he learned too much too quickly. (5/)
12/23/15, 6:15 PM

So when people say that about Rey, who I do believe is a better character with a higher ceiling than Luke, with a better actor (6/)
12/23/15, 6:16 PM

playing her, it smacks to me of (a) grading Luke and all of IV on a cray nostalgic curve, and (b) a little bit of misogyny. (7/)
12/23/15, 6:17 PM

Luke picks up a lightsaber, hears about the Force, and 26 minutes later he is angry at Han for not believing in it. (8/)
12/23/15, 6:17 PM

KenTremendous
He's angry that Han doesn't believe in something he had literally never heard of until 26 minutes earlier. No one bats an eye at that. (9/)
12/23/15, 6:18 PM

Then a dark Jedi enters her brain and messes around and something Awakens. Then she's better at stuff, just like (moreso than?) Luke. (11/)
12/23/15, 6:21 PM

There are issues reasonable people can take with the storytelling of VII. I have some. But "Rey is too good at things!" is silly...(12/)
12/23/15, 6:21 PM

...based on how good other people are at things in previous movies. And if her flaws haven't fully emerged as storytelling devices (13/)
12/23/15, 6:22 PM

they are certainly present, already: reluctance to leave home, clinging to the past, unwillingness to be part of something larger. (14/)
12/23/15, 6:23 PM

If IV came out now it would be torn to shreds. Celebrated, I'd imagine, for it's singular vision, then ripped for dialogue and thin (15/)
12/23/15, 6:26 PM

characterization. IV was great. VII was great. Luke: great. Rey: great. Let's rejoice in how much greatness this franchise contains! (16/16)
12/23/15, 6:27 PM

I wish people would stop generaliztions and call a set of opinions racist or sexist or whatever.

Luke's supposedly flawlessness doesn't excuse Rey poor characterization.

• Like 1

I'm one of the misogynists who who suggested Rey might be a little too good at absolutely everything on the Review thread, and I stand by it. If it's course correction for Hollywood's woeful track record with female protagonists in blockbusters, then so be it I suppose.

• Like 1

I never saw Luke as flawless, certainly not in A New Hope at least. I perceived his sulking personality as deliberate, and his and Han's rescue of Leia was almost farcical. In fact the only time in that movie he transcends his Everyman status is when he blows up the Death Star using the Force.

Edited by Hatebox
  • Like 2

Rey is a force prodigy.

Kylo was terrified of her power.

Also, unlike Luke, she believed in the force from the get go.

People say they want something different from ANH but when it's different they complain that Rey's learning curve should be closer to Luke's.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Still Rey is too over powerful.

If she already beat Rey then what?

I doubt Kylo Ren is the biggest threat in the sequel trilogy.

He came off as a bad ass early in the movie but then was shown to be scared and confused kid.

Maybe they upgrade his skill level or his boss gets involved personally.

11 minutes ago, Lordmandeep said:

Still Rey is too over powerful.

If she already beat Rey then what?

Here we go again for the 2983057th time.

Ren himself was not fully trained.

Ren was seriously injured.

Ren was a current emotional/mental basket case.

Ren was holding back.

Ren possessed an innate fear of Rey that caused him to slip up and crumble when she began Full Force Mode.

Ren will not have any of those disadvantages the next time they face off.

Edited by Dr 3va2an
  • Like 10

"Man I love Batman what a rad character. Got a gadget for everything"

"Why is Rey such a Mary Sue"

"You see Civil War? Black Panther's dope man, he can outthink ya and outmuscle ya"

"Ayyyyy loved how James Bond flipped the script on the villain again"

• Like 10