druv10

Star Wars TFA 2nd Wknd Actual: 149.2M !!!

2 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

All i ever knew about Joy is that she likes to fire a gun. Thats it. The marketing did not reveal any of the story and just expect people to go see it because jennifer Lawrence is in it. Obviously that is working because the movie has opened fairly well and will continue to play while over the holidays. It's definitely a movie that you were going to see because of her and maybe because of the director and maybe because it reunites her with two of the cast mates from SLP

Yep, I knew little from the marketing campaign as to what it's about. That suits me fine though as i'd rather know nothing. A David O Russell film is an automatic ticket for me. 

For getting everyone out to see the movie though it did seem like a mediocre campaign. His name and her's does seem to have done the job. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, department store basement said:

Wow, over Trainwreck?

With close to 50M OW and another full week of holdays ahead, I think it has a shot at Pitch Perfect 2.

7 minutes ago, department store basement said:

People are like "Joy is doing insanely well" but I always expected this number for opening weekend. It's a feel-good true story about a woman who becomes rich. Perfect for the holidays, unlike something depressing like Concussion (which I overpredicted).

I thought it was the kind of movie that needed the oscar buzz (free marketing) to open that high, but I guess JLaw was enough.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Baumer Fett said:

All i ever knew about Joy is that she likes to fire a gun. Thats it. The marketing did not reveal any of the story and just expect people to go see it because jennifer Lawrence is in it. Obviously that is working because the movie has opened fairly well and will continue to play while over the holidays. It's definitely a movie that you were going to see because of her and maybe because of the director and maybe because it reunites her with two of the cast mates from SLP

No it's a movie you go to see because it's being advertised as a feel good movie at Christmas that is aimed directly at the type of audience that aren't interested in Star Wars. By you're reasoning I should assume that Will Ferrell and Mark Wahlberg are massive box office stars, since their movie was advertised as those two facing off against each other over being a dad.

Edited by Caesar
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Spaghetti-3PO said:

Ugh....Carol is expanding at the speed of a tortoise. I want it now. <_<

TWC is probably waiting until after Hateful 8 slows down. They're not really in the best financial shape to promote two movies at the same time.

Edited by department store basement

2 minutes ago, Spaghetti-3PO said:

Ugh....Carol is expanding at the speed of a tortoise. I want it now. <_<

It seems to be following the expansion of previous Weinstein awards titles. The Artist, for instance, opened on Thanksgiving weekend and was in 167 theaters on Christmas day.

37 minutes ago, DMan7 said:

How is the OS looking compared to other blockbuster movies? Is it breaking records in various territories because all I've been hearing is this breaking records domestically.

Most markets doing great but...

SK is really weak compared to avatar.

Russia too because it lost 50% to the dollar.

They are the worst of the largest markets and will fall short by more than 65%.  They both cleared 100m  for avatar.

Japan is doing well but will likely fall short. 

China should match.

Overall SW7 has a 15% disadvantage in XR. I think it will be close in ticket sales for WW, but short for OS. 

I'm sure we will have someone here CSI the shit out of the numbers when it's all said and done.

Edited by No Prisoners
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, BKB IS CAPTAIN AMERICA said:

Still can't believe my sister broke her leg prior to us going to see this yesterday.. I mean, what the total fuck??? :sarah:

Well it's not like you haven't seen it at all. How much times will that be?