WrathOfHan

Weekend Actuals (Page 93): TFA 42.35M | The Revenant 39.83M | Daddy's Home 15.02M | The Forest 12.74M | Sisters 7.19M

1 minute ago, The Gotham Bank said:

My body is ready for The Revenant's box office run and, ultimately, DiCaprio's first Oscar out of many. History in the making.

giphy.gif

Let's not get carried away. He wouldn't even be winning this year if he had no competition. And watch someone like Carell upset in a TBS sweep. :lol:

Edited by MovieMan89
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MovieMan89 said:

It is interesting how it is this past decade his draw power has really taken off, not so much the decade following Titanic. I mean he did have Catch Me if You Can and The Departed in that span, but it has been since Shutter Island he's been so huge. 

I think he's just at the age when a big movie star peaks from his mid30s to mid40s.

Tom Hanks (age 35-44)

League of their own

Philadelphia

Sleepless in Seattle

Forrest Gump

Apollo 13

Saving Private Ryan

You 've got mail

Green Mile

Cast Away

Tom Cruise (age 34-45)

Mission Impossible

Jerry Maguire

Eyes Wide Shut

M:i 2

Vanilla Sky

Minority Report

Last Samurai

Collateral

War of the Worlds

M:i 3

Will Smith (age 34-44)

MIB 2

Bad Boys 2

I, Robot

Hitch

Pursuit of happyness

I am Legend

Hancock

Seven Pounds

MIB 3

• Like 4

I don't think Leo gets many big openings i.e. relative to his star power. Inception is his biggest opener with 62.7m followed by Gatsby (50m) and Shutter Island (41m). Not that he is not capable of it. Just that the genre and release (December release for Django and Wolf) of some of his movies don't lend themselves to a big opening.

Edited by a2knet

6 minutes ago, No Prisoners said:

It'll stay in theaters.  JW  was in theaters 4 weeks after DVD. Could kill 1B though

DVD release for TFA is April 5. That was announced a while ago. That is why the models i am using go to 3/31. Anything after that is pure gravy if they decide to let it run. it feels like it may be released on DVD before it hits second run theaters.

if the 6M holds that is a great number and improves the chances for $1B.

6M gives my midline model a 45.7M est for this weekend and a total take of 998.2M on 3/31.

That model has been fluctuating anywhere from 969 to 1,031M over the last week or so depending upon the dailies. 

TFA held roughly 99% of Avatar's weekdays this week.

as of today TFA would need to maintain just under 64% of Avatar's take through 3/31 to get to 1B by that date. Avatar made 360M from today to April 1, 2010 (same day as March 31, 2016 due to leap year this year), TFA needs 230M to get to 1B.

• Like 1

Even though SW has held better than Avatar on both the Thursdays, it has followed that up with much smaller Friday jumps.

1st Thursday, 2nd Friday

SW : -27.9%, +80%

2nd Thursday, 3rd Friday

SW : -18.3% +50%

Avatar had a 117% bump on 4th Friday. I think it will be closer to 100% from SW, giving it ~12m.

7 minutes ago, a2knet said:

Even though SW has held better than Avatar on both the Thursdays, it has followed that up with much smaller Friday jumps.

1st Thursday, 2nd Friday

SW : -27.9%, +80%

2nd Thursday, 3rd Friday

SW : -18.3% +50%

Avatar had a 117% bump on 4th Friday. I think it will be closer to 100% from SW, giving it ~12m.

While that is true and a number like that wouldn't surprise me, movies that play well with families and kids tend not to increase as much on Fridays during the holiday season and then see larger jumps on weekends post holidays so it will be interesting to see if Star Wars follows that model.

Just now, Daniel Dylan Davis said:

Wow, that's huge for The Revenant. Leo's drawing power is real.

hey now, don't forget the bear's fanbase in all this

:P 

• Like 6